Search

Tstorms at DEN - but UA very accomodating

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2003, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Sometimes known as [ARG:6 UNDEFINED]
Tstorms at DEN - but UA very accomodating

Ahhh, the wonders of wireless web! I'm writing this from gate B53 at DIA, at 4:55 PM Mountain time on June 19.

I was booked on flight 1209 to Ontario, but a massive thunderstorm shut down DIA for 45 minutes or so. My incoming flight 1209 from BWI held until they ran out of fuel, then diverted to MCI.

No estimated time of departure for my flight; the gate got taken by another aircraft; and no information available at all from UA staff on whether a backup plane was available or could be pressed into service.

So...I checked the departure board. A flight to SNA was departing on time at 5:25. I thought it might be worth a shot to see if a) there were seats on that flight, and b) I could get on it without penalty for the resulting open jaw it would create. (I had no checked bags.)

Wonder of wonders, the gate agent at B53 said there were about 20 open seats, and "given the wx today, we can sure do that for you." Yeehaw! Now all I have to worry about is rental car, but Hertz usually allows you to rent in one SoCal location and return in another.

So, one less inconvenience for me...and to boot, it was taken care of without any heavy sighs, without any "just this once" scoldings, and the CSR is even holding my boarding pass to try to get me out of a middle seat an into an E+ seat. Life is pretty darn good.

------------------
Brian/\/\
Old Jun 19, 2003, 6:16 pm

Location: IND- Views expressed by me in this forum are solely my opinion and do not reflect the opinion or policies of UA.
Good to know that the UA staff is doing what they can for you. However, you weren't requesting they pull an aircraft and crew out of thin air for you in the middle of IRR OPS, either. Many customers at DEN will demand that this afternoon and evening regardless of weather.

I'm glad things worked out for you and my best wishes go out to the customers and staff caught up in the chaos today.
Old Jun 19, 2003, 6:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jana:
[B] However, you weren't requesting they pull an aircraft and crew out of thin air for you in the middle of IRR OPS, either. [B]</font>
Jana, silly Jana, DEN is one of your few stations WITH thin air (MEX would be another) - which is why people ask for this miracle @ DEN
Old Jun 19, 2003, 11:41 pm

Programs: UA 1K, SPG Plat, Hertz P Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">you weren't requesting they pull an aircraft and crew out of thin air for you</font>
What?! United can't clone their planes and crew yet?? AA had been doing that for almost two years! That's it, I'm jumping to AA and UA will be sorry to lose me as a customer.
Old Jun 20, 2003, 11:49 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DenverBrian:

My incoming flight 1209 from BWI held until they ran out of fuel, then diverted to MCI.
</font>
Good thing it's a long straight glide down from DEN to MCI

&lt;yes, I know what you meant, but it's still funny to my tired brain&gt;
Old Jun 21, 2003, 7:30 pm

Programs: Former UA 1P
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by DenverBrian:

So, one less inconvenience for me...and to boot, it was taken care of without any heavy sighs, without any "just this once" scoldings, and the CSR is even holding my boarding pass to try to get me out of a middle seat an into an E+ seat. Life is pretty darn good.

</font>
One of the biggest pluses for United for me has been the willingness of gate agents to meet almost any reasonable request during irregular ops as long as that reasonable request gets a customer out of the affected terminal.

Eg., I had a nasty 4-hour delay out of Boston one afternoon due to ORD t-storms, and the gate agent was more than happy with my suggestion to change my (non-refunable, non-changable, e-fare) return trip to the 7.a.m. flight the next morning. It was good customer service, ok with my schedule, saved me a miserable day in the terminal, got me an extra day of vacation, and made me happy with an airline in a situation where most pax are mad!

Glad to see some folks in Denver think the same way.
Old Jun 21, 2003, 10:28 pm

Got stuck in ELP on my way to LAX because of the ground stop. At first they didn't let anyone off the plane, then it got really hot in there ( charming Texas weather ) and they let us off into the terminal. When it became clear that I would miss my connection in DEN, the gate agent offloaded me and I walked over to the WN gate and bought myself a one way to LAX on Herb's blue planes.....

I did curse at UA for a minute- Why do they insist on setting up such major hubs in weather-prone areas ( SFO and DEN)?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.