Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone hope UA is #2 in on-time next year?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2010, 5:56 pm

Programs: AS MVP, Elevate, AAdvantage, Mileage Plus
Over the past 12 months Alaska is #1 in on-time performance (84.1), Southwest is #2 (82.7). Pinnacle is #3 (82.1), Skywest is #4 (81.9) and United is #5 (81.3). I'm excluding Hawaiian since they are always tops.

But in short, UA can't really claim they are #1 unless they want to exclude WN, which carries more domestic pax than any other airline. And I think AS could arguably be considered a legacy carrier.

http://airconsumer.ost.dot.gov/repor...0MarchATCR.pdf

Last edited by EIPremier; Mar 26, 2010 at 6:09 pm
Old Mar 26, 2010, 7:14 pm

Originally Posted by climmy
Really? Didn't detect even a bit of sarcastic humor in my comment?

Nope. Just reread your first post, still don't see it as sarcastic humor. That's what the emoticons are for if you meant it that way. A would have worked, or a as well in your post.

AD

Last edited by aluminumdriver; Mar 26, 2010 at 7:33 pm
Old Mar 26, 2010, 7:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
All I can say is this is just another example that flyertalkers will complain about ANYTHING!!!
+1
Old Mar 26, 2010, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K (until it expires then never again), *wood Plat, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
All I can say is this is just another example that flyertalkers will complain about ANYTHING!!!

I mean really, who cares that United is happy they are #1 on something, let them have their glory. I don't care and I work here.

AD
I agree (hey that might be a first) I don't see why people would complain or even worse hope that their future flights aren't on time. Every company that gets industry awards markets to it. Do you hope your car manufacture doesn't get 5* crash ratings so you don't have to see that in commercials? No of course not, they'd be wrong not to advertise the fact. Now is this partially from schedule padding? Yes, but all airlines pad schedules so..... And if you make plans according to flight schedules then padded or not if your on time it helps in making connections, or meetings or whatever you were planning on doing at point B.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 8:17 pm

Originally Posted by ryan182
I agree (hey that might be a first) I don't see why people would complain or even worse hope that their future flights aren't on time. Every company that gets industry awards markets to it. Do you hope your car manufacture doesn't get 5* crash ratings so you don't have to see that in commercials? No of course not, they'd be wrong not to advertise the fact. Now is this partially from schedule padding? Yes, but all airlines pad schedules so..... And if you make plans according to flight schedules then padded or not if your on time it helps in making connections, or meetings or whatever you were planning on doing at point B.
Not the first time Ryan, but probably the first in a while

AD
Old Mar 26, 2010, 8:28 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K(0.7MM) Hilton Gold/La Quinta Gold
Originally Posted by ryan182
I don't see why people would complain or even worse hope that their future flights aren't on time.
Not complain, but I often hope the connecting flight from JFK-LAX is delayed so I get an extra day in LAX before connecting to SYD/MEL.

What else can I do, tell the boss I'll be a day late and I get an extra day in LA hotel provided

Some people might like delays when it's in their best interest.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:00 am

Programs: 1K 2010, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 & 18, Plat since
It's something to rally the troops

I think it's a good thing UA is getting behind the #1 on-time performance bit. It's a rallying point for their employees, something tangible they can get behind and work to keep. That sort of thing has value that goes past the winning metric itself; it may sound corny, but it gets people thinking they can win at other things as well.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:21 am

Programs: UA 2P, DL SM
I misconnected last week due to a flight that left well before it's scheduled departure time, and was stuck in Denver for four or five hours. But man, was that plane on time! Small consolation if you're not on it... I wondered at the time if the whole "#1 on time" obsession was driving the decision to leave me and at least one other guy behind.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 9:29 am

Originally Posted by UAWes
I misconnected last week due to a flight that left well before it's scheduled departure time, and was stuck in Denver for four or five hours. But man, was that plane on time! Small consolation if you're not on it... I wondered at the time if the whole "#1 on time" obsession was driving the decision to leave me and at least one other guy behind.
Yes, it does. Getting out on time is an admirable goal. Getting out way early in order to make sure you have a #1 on-time number while leaving passengers behind is something only an oil man would agree makes business sense
Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:06 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott PP
I loved the announcment right after landing that we had arrived early (about 5 minutes), then after a 15 minute taxi to the gate we weren't early anymore. I said jokingly to the purser when we got off "so much for being early"...
Old Mar 27, 2010, 10:10 am

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Doesn't matter, they are not #! anyway! It's all in the fine print. So if they are #3 next year, but beat AA, Delta, and US Air, they will still proclaim #1.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 11:02 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by trekwars2000
I loved the announcment right after landing that we had arrived early (about 5 minutes), then after a 15 minute taxi to the gate we weren't early anymore. I said jokingly to the purser when we got off "so much for being early"...
Yea, I've had a few of these....people sat in the penalty box for 45 min....they were complaining about being 45 min late and not making their connections when they were coming off the jetway. I told em "Well, I know the penalty box stinks, but you are only 5 min late....your plane landed very early, one of the reasons a gate wasn't available...look at your watch."

Most people refused to believe that they were only 5 min late due to their inaccurate perspective after sitting in the holding pen. I wonder if many of them missed their connections because they refused to believe the reality, and instead stuck with their inaccurate perceptions, and didn't go to their connecting flights right away.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 11:05 am

Programs: UA Gold/1.5MM (several years running now!), Marriott LTTE, Hertz Prez
DEN is the exact same location where the happened to me a few months back (yes, I have already posted here extensively on the topic, but as long as they continue to hammer away, I will continue to publicly call them out for leaving high-revenue PAX behind in their dogged pursuit of this silly marketing cap feather). My wait for the next scheduled flight was seven hours, which itself was then delayed something like 90 minutes. UA's obsession with this is out of control and it needs to stop. It's meaningless and it's doing them more harm than good, IMHO.
Old Mar 27, 2010, 11:09 am
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Thumbs up Yes Sir!!!

Originally Posted by flyinbob
I would like to see those rankings include ALL UA flights, including UX. Today UX makes up such a large chunk of UA business these stats are meaningless if you exclude them.
EXCELLENT idea (-;
Old Mar 27, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: UA 1k 1MM, AA Exec Plat, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, Accor ?????
+1 Same thing happened to me in Denver in Feb.

I cringe when I see the ads, because I suspect (though I could be wrong) that they are not actually improving anything much, just maneuvering specifically to pad the stat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.