Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone hope UA is #2 in on-time next year?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2010, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1MM/1K, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by PanHam
Agreed - they've really latched onto the merits of schedule padding.
No kidding. I have an upcoming JFK-SFO flight blocked at 6:56.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 11:48 am

I'm also sick of the #1 on-time performance ads...but at the same time they do deserve some credit. IIRC, year-over-year on-time performance increased by something like 10%. I agree that schedule padding may have been the primary driver, but as long as I arrive close to the time stated, at least I can plan my schedule appropriately. I applaud UA for this!
Old Mar 26, 2010, 11:53 am

Another factor in their increase in on-time performance is that there are less travelers, fewer bags to load, and fewer planes in the air. I would expect that most airlines saw an increase in their on-time performance.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 12:03 pm

Considering this stat does not even include international flights, and considering WN flies more passengers than UA, and has more planes than UA, makes more money (or should I say actually makes money), it would be interesting to see if WN would reply as they have in the past to "Legacy" airlines that exclude them in stat. WN is almost a forty year old airline. It has survived longer than many "Legacies" out there. It has outlived Braniff, Texas International, Western, All the Airlines that make up US today, TWA, Northwest. At what point do people realize its a major?

http://www.southwest.com/images/ad_gallery/p_ad15.jpg
Old Mar 26, 2010, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by matti2d
if they get an award for lav cleanliness, will we be bombarded with a "We're #1 in #1" campaign?
this is a good one.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 12:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by ckaught78
Another factor in their increase in on-time performance is that there are less travelers, fewer bags to load, and fewer planes in the air. I would expect that most airlines saw an increase in their on-time performance.
There are also fewer ramp workers, CSRs, and GAs - what's your point? The remaining planes are just as full (if not fuller) than before.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Personally I don't have difficulty with the ad. It sure isn't something to get 'sick" over. Business is business, you advertise your good points. I don't think Toyota is going to advertise their brake issues.

Last edited by Doug 1029; Mar 26, 2010 at 1:57 pm Reason: spelling
Old Mar 26, 2010, 2:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Doug 1029
Personally I don't have difficulty with the ad. It sure isn't something to get 'sick" over. Business is business, you advertise your good points. I don't think Toyota is going to advertise their brake issues.
The issue for me is their gloating about being on time. On time. You know, what passengers actually pay for. Whoooeee! They did their job! Let's get an award!
Old Mar 26, 2010, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA: 1P; Bonvoy: Gold; IHG: Plat; HH: Silver; DL, AA: Gen. Member
Wirelessly posted (AT&T Tilt: HTC_TyTN_II Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 7.11))

It isn't as annoying as the Chicago Olympics bid announcements at ORD.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 2:47 pm

Is it gloating or just advertising that you have the best record of on time performance. Next quarter it very well maybe someone else.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:04 pm

Originally Posted by climmy
It's only March and already I'm getting pretty tired of the insane amount of adverts plying the #1 on-time arrival thing.

Are we going to have to put up with this much longer? I'm hoping for a close second next year so they can advertise something else!
All I can say is this is just another example that flyertalkers will complain about ANYTHING!!!

I mean really, who cares that United is happy they are #1 on something, let them have their glory. I don't care and I work here.

AD
Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:36 pm

Programs: UA-1K-MM AA-EXP-MM
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
All I can say is this is just another example that flyertalkers will complain about ANYTHING!!!
Boy have you got that right! Who in their right mind hopes their airline travel gets less punctual? What's next who's upset because the flight was smooth and I didn't get to experience any turbulence. Just crazy!
Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:44 pm

Originally Posted by PanHam
Agreed - they've really latched onto the merits of schedule padding.

Care to prove that? Blocking what it actually takes to fly A to B is not schedule padding.

Originally Posted by as219
No kidding. I have an upcoming JFK-SFO flight blocked at 6:56.
Well, what do you want them to do? Current flights are running ~6 hours. With it becoming spring and the jetstream shifting back north, flights are going to take longer. Add in the runway closure and 6:56 is probably pretty accurate.
Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:56 pm

I mean really, who cares that United is happy they are #1 on something, let them have their glory. I don't care and I work here.

AD
Right on Buddy!!!
Old Mar 26, 2010, 3:57 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1mm Gold. Former 1K and GS.

AD
Really? Didn't detect even a bit of sarcastic humor in my comment?

Originally Posted by ORD4R
Boy have you got that right! Who in their right mind hopes their airline travel gets less punctual? What's next who's upset because the flight was smooth and I didn't get to experience any turbulence. Just crazy!

Please go directly back to critical thinking class. Do not pass go.

Q: Is UA slipping in on-time performance the only way for them to become #2?

A: No. Another airline can step up and get better. It doesn't mean UA has to get worse. Nor am I hoping they do so.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.