Wiki Posts
Search

I was lied about today........nice try

Search this Thread

Old Jun 4, 2003, 11:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: HiltonHonors, IHG Hotels, DL Skymiles
I was lied about today........nice try

Checked in Mr/Mrs. Elderly Couple (in coach).
The usual pleasantries exchanged.

Me: "Ok, all set, you will be using Gate XX
today, boarding will begin at 4:00 pm.
Have a great evening".

Them: "Thank you. Oh, where is the Red
Carpet Club?"

Me: "Right around the bend, just turn left
and you will see the sign".

--------------------------------------
Five minutes later:
Called from the RCC......"Hi, FlyingNone...
did you just check-in Mr/Mrs. Elderly?"

Me: "Yes"
RCC: "Well, they are not members and they
said you said it was OK for them to
come on in, so I'm just checking
with you about it".

Me: "Absolutely not, they just asked for
directions to the RCC. I'm assuming
they are members".

RCC: "No problem, they have now just left
when I told them I was checking with
you about it"
------------------------------------------
Folks, I'm just venting here. I'm not losing sleep over this tonite, I'm just annoyed that they lied about me. Lesson learned.....Rather than ask if people are members (not my job to police this), I will mention that they will need photo ID and their membership card at the reception desk in the RCC.

I know there are/have been other posts about this, how people fanaigle their way in etc.

[This message has been edited by FlyingNone (edited 06-04-2003).]
Old Jun 5, 2003, 12:59 am

Someone trying to get over. If you happen to get in trouble over this you could sue for Lible/Slander.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 2:39 am

Location: IND- Views expressed by me in this forum are solely my opinion and do not reflect the opinion or policies of UA.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jacque:
Someone trying to get over. If you happen to get in trouble over this you could sue for Lible/Slander.</font>
Are you serious?! Libel and slander are seperate charges, by the way- and not the same thing! Neither charge would be appropriate in this instance anyway.

Old Jun 5, 2003, 4:47 am

Programs: BA/BD Gold/IC A/*Wood Gold - Certified BodyCombat and BodyPump Instructor
I don't think you did anything wrong. You As you say, it's not your job to police this - it's the RCC's job. They did the right thing in calling you to confirm. If it was a case that you did say it was OK to use the club, but the RCC said no, then I can see the elderly folks getting irate. But you didn't.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 5:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jacque:
Someone trying to get over. If you happen to get in trouble over this you could sue for Lible/Slander.</font>
Oh my God, give me a break

What would he get in trouble for? Providing directions?

[This message has been edited by LondonElite (edited 06-05-2003).]
Old Jun 5, 2003, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Well, no. The elderly couple could ALLEGE that he said they could use the RCC. Then it becomes his word against theirs.

The whole incident is unfortunate. Trying to sneak into the RCC is one thing, but potentially damaging the reputation of an innocent employee is quite another. The elderly couple should be ashamed -- but I'm sure they aren't!

Bruce
Old Jun 5, 2003, 7:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This is the point when you page the elderly couple and re-seat them in 54E and 43G....for security reasons.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 7:09 am

This presents the question, do they (elderly couple) actually get away with something like this ? Somehow it doesnt sound like they tried this for the first time.

I think their attempt at fraud should at the very least be entered into their record permanently for future reference....
Old Jun 5, 2003, 8:24 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JohnG:
I think their attempt at fraud should at the very least be entered into their record permanently for future reference....</font>
Why not just ban them from UA in the future, or indeed air travel all together?

I mean, they did try to get something that their fare class did not entitle them to.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
I am bookmarking this thread.

Next time any of my local friends want to know more about American anal political correctness and general introspective naval gazing and getting over obsessed about irrelevant minutiae in life I will email it to them.

BTW Jacque ...... *** NEWSFLASH *** from planet oz. 'Libel' is WRITTEN defamatory comment. Durrrhhhh.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 8:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LondonElite:
Why not just ban them from UA in the future, or indeed air travel all together?

I mean, they did try to get something that their fare class did not entitle them to.
</font>
I agree. They should be banned from all air travel, forever (which probably won't be too long, given that they are elderly). Conniving old people. . .
Old Jun 5, 2003, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Turn them into Soylent Green is my vote. Sned them to Gitmo Bay at least.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 8:47 am

Programs: SPG Platinum; Hyatt Platinum; UA 1K
Am I the only one thinking, "I need to remember to try this scam when I get old."?

Old Jun 5, 2003, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by ozstamps:

Turn them into Soylent Green is my vote.
</font>
Then they could be "served" at the RCC.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 9:44 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by bdschobel:
Well, no. The elderly couple could ALLEGE that he said they could use the RCC. Then it becomes his word against theirs.

The whole incident is unfortunate. Trying to sneak into the RCC is one thing, but potentially damaging the reputation of an innocent employee is quite another. The elderly couple should be ashamed -- but I'm sure they aren't!

Bruce
</font>
There are 2 sides to every story as well.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.