FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Star Gold Baggage Allowance (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1062592-star-gold-baggage-allowance.html)

r17gordini Feb 7, 2010 6:51 pm

*A Gold companion baggage exemption

Do companions of *A Gold (same PNR) get the baggage fees waived? The chart doesn't specify that for *A Gold companions but does for UA elites with companions. I am flying on UA award travel this week with my family and lots of baggage (skis) and am CO Gold. I already have my CO number in the PNR. I asked UA ICC when I had my CO number put in the PNR (they said yes) but don't trust the answer since it is not in the chart and I'm not UA elite.

Thanks.

camachinist Feb 7, 2010 7:55 pm

I had my CO number put in the PNR (they said yes) but don't trust the answer since it is not in the chart and I'm not UA elite.
I share your lack of trust and wouldn't count on it. Being a *G as a UA elite confers different benefits on UA than if *G on other *A carriers. My read of the chart is the same as yours.

Since you're bringing skis, be sure to read the details on ski equipment (special items) as well. It might be different than on CO.

flyerbjorn Feb 7, 2010 8:17 pm

The rules are unclear for *G. There isn't a rule saying your family members are exempt, but the website does say "Companions of elite members are also exempt from bag fees".
I'd definitely use the elite checkin and try to use that. If the agent hasn't done this before, they might give you the benefit of the doubt.

Skis count as a regular bag on UA. Although the rules say 1 pair of skis / bag, there were signs in SLC saying max 2 pairs / bag.

If you have to pay for extra luggage, it might be cheaper to pay for the skis. Internationally, they cost paid 1/3 of a regular bag fee.

Enjoy your ski trip :D^

bmw303 Mar 13, 2010 7:02 am

Star Gold Baggage Allowance

I know a star gold member (i.e. Continental Plat) can bring 3 bags 70 lbs each.

I know UA Elite companions are exempt from fees but what about the *Gold companions that are not UA Elite?

Thanks!

gobluetwo Mar 13, 2010 8:51 am

Originally Posted by bmw303 (Post 13568251)
I know a star gold member (i.e. Continental Plat) can bring 3 bags 70 lbs each.

I know UA Elite companions are exempt from fees but what about the *Gold companions that are not UA Elite?

Thanks!

baggage allowances extend to non-elite companions on the same reservation as you, although at the 2 bag 50lb limit level. If you're traveling with 3 non-elites on the same reservation (ie, all have the same confirmation number), then all three non-elites will get 2 bags each at 50lbs.

if1km Mar 13, 2010 10:58 am

"Up to eight passengers who are booked under the same confirmation number as a Premier Executive member are granted the same free baggage allowance."

Taken From URL

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,1165,00.html

schley Mar 13, 2010 1:00 pm

This is a valuable perk for families or groups. Hundreds of dollars saved potentially.

r17gordini Mar 13, 2010 1:20 pm

I am a *A gold (CO) and did this in February when going skiing in DRO. The UA call center told me on two separate calls that companions receive the same allocation of bags. UAs website is very unclear on this. I had no problems checking all of the bags for free. At my origin I used the kiosk and it accepted all of them and at the destination (return flight) the GA checked them in with no problem and joked about how many we (my family) could check for free since the other GA (not realizing I was *A Gold) was trying to convince me to carry some so I wouldn't have to pay for them.

r17gordini Mar 13, 2010 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by if1km (Post 13569207)
"Up to eight passengers who are booked under the same confirmation number as a Premier Executive member are granted the same free baggage allowance."

Taken From URL

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,1165,00.html

This link, like other areas on UA website, only talk about UA elite's companions, not *A Gold companions. It mentions *A Gold, but not their companions. See my post above for my experience as a *A Gold. UA really should clear this up on their web site.

anandrag Mar 25, 2010 12:03 am

Luggage check in fees for *A Golds?

I am Gold on BMI/BD. Do I have to pay to check in luggage on domestic UA flight (think it is actually UA Express for ORD-HPN)?

windchill Mar 25, 2010 12:07 am

Star Gold and Silver are exempt from baggage fees on UA.

adambadam Mar 25, 2010 12:07 am

Originally Posted by anandrag (Post 13643970)
I am Gold on BMI/BD. Do I have to pay to check in luggage on domestic UA flight (think it is actually UA Express for ORD-HPN)?

No, you should be entitled to 3 pieces at 70lbs each.

EDIT: Link to UA baggage exemption page http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52649,00.html

rzsionak May 10, 2010 12:27 pm

Star Gold Baggage Benefits

Does anyone know if star gold benefits from another airline for 3 70lb bags apply if I use my no-status MP number on the itinerary. Reason I ask is that I can't book an E+ seat without using the MP number; I bought the annual E+ option for a couple overseas trips as it was significantly less than purchasing all the legs for myself and companion.

I can't find anything on United's site states that the star gold number needs to be entered to get the baggage benefit, but there could be fine print I'm missing. Would showing my star gold card at check-in suffice.

Thanks
Zack

gbsfo May 10, 2010 12:57 pm

Originally Posted by rzsionak (Post 13932364)
Would showing my star gold card at check-in suffice.

Yes. If the agent kicks up a fuss and states that you need to have the OA*G in the record, then put it in, get checked in with the free bags and then swap the number back at the gate later. As long as they leave your seat assignment alone you are fine.

sharmaintl May 10, 2010 1:00 pm

Originally Posted by gbsfo (Post 13932580)
Yes. If the agent kicks up a fuss and states that you need to have the OA*G in the record, then put it in, get checked in with the free bags and then swap the number back at the gate later. As long as they leave your seat assignment alone you are fine.

They may bump you off your E+ seat, as a result of the swap, you can then ask for the seat back, using your MP # with the E+ option. The only risk is if E+ is full, you can lose your place there, but I think the risk of all these happening is very low.