Search

Carry-on Bag Template - "Gate And Switch?"

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2010, 9:59 am
Original Poster

Carry-on Bag Template - "Gate And Switch?"

This happen to anyone else?

http://schnittshow.com/cc-common/mai...rticle=7340684

Why did Schnitt's carry-on bag fit in the baggage template at the United Airlines ticket counter at Tampa International Airport but not at the gate?

Because, the templates are different sizes! At the check-in counter, the template measures ten inches deep but at gate E74 a different style template is only nine inches deep. What a difference an inch makes. A case of gate and switch! Schnitt heard another passenger complaining about the same issue, as he was also forced to gate check a bag that fit fine at the ticket counter template. Schnitt generally has great service on United, and for the record they did not break his guitar.

The template at the United ticket counter (Left) measures 10 inches deep. The template at gate E74 (Right) measures 9 inches deep.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 10:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
The choice is whether to gate-check or hold-check. If the ticket counter template was the right size, his guitar would have ended up in the hold, which is a terrible place for something like that, not to mention the additional cost that he would have incurred.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 12:18 pm

Programs: AS MVP, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mahasamatman
The choice is whether to gate-check or hold-check. If the ticket counter template was the right size, his guitar would have ended up in the hold, which is a terrible place for something like that, not to mention the additional cost that he would have incurred.
I don't this is really about checking a guitar. Just a quip at the United breaks guitars deal.

As far as gate-check vs. hold check.. If you check something at the gate besides a stroller or similar for a non-express flight, don't you get to pick it up at baggage claim?
Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:21 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Ripper3785
...If you check something at the gate besides a stroller or similar for a non-express flight, don't you get to pick it up at baggage claim?
for mainline operations, yes -- they can check through to the destination
Old Jul 14, 2010, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
I've said it before. If your bag does not fit in the overhead bin wheels or handle FIRST (the long way), then it is a checked bag. Period. The measurement that really matters is the length. If it is longer than the bin is deep, it goes below. THAT is what they need to enforce.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 3:05 pm

Programs: BA Gold, B6 Mosiac, VS, AA, DL (and a legacy UA 2MM)
23-1/4" should be the actual maximum allowed, not 22"

Originally Posted by flyinbob
If your bag does not fit in the overhead bin wheels or handle FIRST (the long way), then it is a checked bag. Period. The measurement that really matters is the length. If it is longer than the bin is deep, it goes below. THAT is what they need to enforce.
Yes, and that measurement on a 767, which I think may be the largest plane with the least depth in the overheads) appears to be 23-1/4". On my Monday ORD-LHR, I was *just* able to shut the bin and be wheels first. Just measured the length including wheels, and that's what it comes out to.

Many bags advertised as 22" long are actually 2"-3" longer, which may lead to the problems we see on 767's. Actually though, as I think about it, what really leads to the problem (and the resentment of other passengers) is people seeing what they can get away with to avoid the checked bag fee! If the sizing was a bit more strictly enforced, and at security rather than the gate like at European airports, everything would operate more smoothly.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 3:17 pm

Programs: UA 1k Million Miler
Originally Posted by StingWest
If the sizing was a bit more strictly enforced, and at security rather than the gate like at European airports, everything would operate more smoothly.
I for one do not want my tax dollars or PFC's being spent enforcing airline policy.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 3:43 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by n9536j
I for one do not want my tax dollars or PFC's being spent enforcing airline policy.
You pay for it one way or the other, because if the airline doesn't enforce it and they get caught, they are fined pretty heavily. And of course, those costs get passed on to everyone.
Old Jul 14, 2010, 4:29 pm

Originally Posted by n9536j
Whether it be added security fees or additional airline personnel, you're already paying for it IMHO. More so because of the incredible inefficiency of the current process where a percentage of bags are brought back through the plane and are gate-checked when they don't fit. This just doesn't seem to happen in Europe..
Old Jul 14, 2010, 11:58 pm

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Many bags advertised as 22" long are actually 2"-3" longer
Absolutely correct. Drives me crazy.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 7:57 am

Programs: UA 1P-1MM, Marriott LT Titanium
Whether it be added security fees or additional airline personnel, you're already paying for it IMHO. More so because of the incredible inefficiency of the current process where a percentage of bags are brought back through the plane and are gate-checked when they don't fit. This just doesn't seem to happen in Europe..
One major reason for Europe being better is that they use a weight, not size, limit for cabin baggage and are much better about enforcing it. No "template", they just tell you to put it on the scale and it it's too heavy, they check it. It's not always enforced - I find that LH stations other than FRA are much more vigilant- but it is way more consistent than the US airlines policy.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by tods27
One major reason for Europe being better is that they use a weight, not size, limit for cabin baggage and are much better about enforcing it. No "template", they just tell you to put it on the scale and it it's too heavy, they check it. It's not always enforced - I find that LH stations other than FRA are much more vigilant- but it is way more consistent than the US airlines policy.
That's true as well! I remember one trip, LHR to Madrid (SpanAir?), I was queuing for check-in and noticed a sign showing a ludicrously low weight limit for my allowed carry-on - which was quite small physically. I quickly removed my laptop and carried it inconspicuously under my arm while they weighed the bag - coming in just under.
Old Jul 15, 2010, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by tods27
What difference does weight make? Whether in the cabin or below, what matters is the area taken up by the item. The weight is the same in the cabin or below, but the cabin has bins that are of a particular size. How is a weight factor better?
Old Jul 15, 2010, 1:54 pm

Originally Posted by flyinbob
What difference does weight make?
The overhead bins are rated by weight.

We once flew JK (I think) and they said my rollaboard was overweight. So I transferred stuff to my backpack, which they did not weight, and I passed. I then transferred everything back to the rollaboard.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.