Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

I got a voucher for $1.50! How on earth will I spend it?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 21, 2003, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

So last week I take advantage of the "wartime" change fee waiver to change an ORD-SFO ticket to ORD-LAX at a later date. The original fare I paid was $178; the new fare was $176.50.

The agent says she'll get a voucher to me in the mail. "That's OK," I said. "It's only $1.50, and I think you folks need it more than I do."

She laughs, but says it's actually easier to send the voucher than not send it.

Sure enough, this weekend I get a printout of my new itinerary along with a voucher for one and one-half A-merican dollars.

Note that it cost UA a good chunk of that $1.50 to assemble and mail it to me. And I'd have to go to the airport to use it. It would take four of them to buy a drink at a domestic RCC, for crying out loud.

So if anyone has any suggestions for what I can do with a voucher for $1.50, or barring that, a convincing reason for me to give it away, I'm all ears.
Old Apr 21, 2003, 1:09 pm
Moderator: Midwest, Las Vegas & Dining Buzz

I exchanged a ticket several months ago when the CTO's were still open. After my transaction was over, Michelle the agent (boy do I miss her!!) handed me a voucher for fifty cents! If anyone wants it, they certainly can have it. Just don't forget to send me a postage-paid envelope for it.
Old Apr 21, 2003, 1:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
Pin it on a wall, as a memento.

Or consider that is (almost) covers the 9/11 fee next time you book. *grin*
Old Apr 21, 2003, 1:53 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Buy your own drink; leave the voucher as a tip.

(just kidding! very tacky!)
Old Apr 21, 2003, 2:30 pm
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Are they combinable? Because if they are, you could take Marty's and be well on your way to covering a 9/11 surcharge!

------------------
"I just wanna wish you good luck, we're all counting on you"
-Dr. Rumack
Old Apr 21, 2003, 2:32 pm
Moderator, Argentina and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lord of Malbec & all Wines Argentine. AA EXP / Marriott Lifetime Silver / Hertz Presidents Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SEA_Tigger:
Pin it on a wall, as a memento.

Or consider that is (almost) covers the 9/11 fee next time you book. *grin*
</font>
Keep it in mint condition, you can sell it on Ebay in about 10 years for a nice profit...
Old Apr 21, 2003, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Reminds me of an old Braniff ticket I still have. (Mind you, this is Braniff #3). They had cancelled a BOS-EWR flight (yes, they actually flew that route). So I still have a ticket for that. I figured it would be a good momento!
Old Apr 21, 2003, 9:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Piggly Wiggly "Shop the Pig!" Preferred Shopper
You could buy 1.7 shares of UAL stock with that voucher.
Old Apr 22, 2003, 10:50 am

Programs: *G, ow Saph
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LastClass:
So if anyone has any suggestions for what I can do with a voucher for $1.50, or barring that, a convincing reason for me to give it away, I'm all ears. [/B]</font>
Can't you combine vouchers? I have several, including a $9.00. I just assumed that you can use them together, otherwise even the $9.00 is barely worth it.
Old Apr 22, 2003, 11:00 am

Programs: Skymiles Silver, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum
Save it. I once changed a refundable ticket and they had the nerve to charge me $3 for the extra PFC.

If that happens, give the agent the voucher, and the rest in pennies
Old Apr 22, 2003, 11:12 am

Programs: MSP raised, Elite since age 17
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by rd7242:
I once changed a refundable ticket and they had the nerve to charge me $3 for the extra PFC. </font>
If the voucher was given on a nonrefundable ticket, and it's applied toward another (refundable) fare, would the whole ticket revert to non-refundable??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.