Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade Risk--Did I do this wrong?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 17, 2010, 2:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K
Upgrade Risk--Did I do this wrong?

1K on 930, SFO-LHR next week. Seat counter shows 9 in all categories but K, L, T (not sure all of those apply), C has 23 of 49 reserved, E+ is wide open, I booked S class to save a few $.

Should I have used an SWU or do you think Op-Up chances are high?

(I don't think I can waitlist and SWU in S)

Thanks
Old Feb 17, 2010, 2:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA-1K, Marriott-Gold, SPG-Gold, IC RA/Plat, Amtrak Select
It is NEVER safe to count on an Op Up for an upgrade.

If you want the upgrade it is best to book W and waitlist.

On this route there will be enough people on the waitlist so UA wont have to do any OP UPs.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 2:20 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Yeah you can't use a SWU on S... so unless you bought a W fare or higher you have no choice (other than using miles and paying a copay that would likely cost even more than up-faring to W).
Old Feb 17, 2010, 2:22 pm

Can't use a SWU on a S-fare. Can never count on an op-up and no reason to think/guess/assume you even have a chance at one.

You only option is copay+miles.

Be read to enjoy E+.

To answer your subject, do not worry. There is little to no risk about being upgraded on this one. You'll be able to fly E+.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 7:13 pm

Programs: My posts represent my personal opinions based on public information and not the official views of UA
Agreed, to avoid disappointment it's best not to count on an op-up. If there are a few op-ups, my guess would be that 1Ks on higher fares would take priority, so if flying in Business is important, I think the advice from other posters about mileage upgrade + copay is fairly solid. Of course, you could get lucky!
Old Feb 17, 2010, 9:20 pm

Programs: UA 1k Million Miler
With plenty of Y availability why would you think there would be ANY op-ups. They only happen when Y is oversold and they need to move people out of Y to make space.
Old Feb 17, 2010, 9:23 pm

Did you book <24 hours ago, so you can get a refund?
Old Feb 18, 2010, 11:24 am

Programs: UA, AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Originally Posted by hub-captive
Did you book <24 hours ago, so you can get a refund?
I would do this and re-book a W.

Then again you can always do cash + miles if you don't need to use up the SWU.
Old Feb 18, 2010, 12:38 pm

Programs: Mosaic 2, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Premium Cabin free agent
Wow $1000 + 40,000 miles Roundtrip I hope you got a heck of deal on that S fare.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.