Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

February 2010 East Coast Snowstorms and Impact to UA's Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

February 2010 East Coast Snowstorms and Impact to UA's Operations

Search this Thread

Old Feb 4, 2010, 8:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Originally Posted by dlwalt
I am on a Saturday night RNO - IAD flight that goes through LAX. I just saw that all the LAX - IAD and SFO - IAD flights are cancelled for Friday. So, just wondering if flights go out Satuday, will it turn into a bump fest. I would rather spend an extra night in LA then in the cold and snow back home in DC.
Doubt it. They likely lowered the authorizations just before they loaded the mass cancellations.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:02 pm

Programs: Mileage Plus 1P SPG Gold
They wouldn't let me go on a different booking class next weekend, I called again 7 hours later, not really meaning to get another agent but after i tried to find other options, and they didn't even mention booking class this time
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:08 pm

Programs: UA-1K/GS, HHonors Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by jfhscott
I received an email at 2:00 p.m. today from United informing me that they cancelled 2/5's flight 823 from BOS-IAD. They stated "We have made additional arrangements for you on the best available, alternate flight", which is flight 823 from BOS-IAD on 2/6.

This strains all credibility, in my mind.

I am on a Y-gov fare, and am 1K, so I would anticipate that they woudl try to accomodate me pretty well. Flight 823 was scheduled for 2:20. UAL.com shows 7123 at 11:05 as Y2, 7129 at 12:19 as Y9, 7242 at 4:17 as Y4. As such, I am pretty incredulous that the best they can do is flight 823 on Saturday.

I'm sure this is snow related, and am frankly suspicious that they are trying to hold Y class seats available for non-gov Y travelers. I'm an attorney at GSA, and would not counsel them to engage in such an apparent violation of the contract fare rules.

Does this sound fishy to anyone else?
I seriously doubt that they did not put you on that flight because of a gov fare. They may anticipate that those flights will be canceled as well. You can always call and be sure.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:20 pm

Programs: General member, former 1P
I, too, have been unable to check in online after rebooking from a Saturday morning flight to a Friday morning flight. To wit:

"We are unable to locate an electronic ticket for this itinerary. Please return to your original place of purchase for assistance and return to united.com for check-in." This for a L class e-fare bought online.

I hate to wait until the airport in the morning because the small UX counter here at ORF is often swamped at 0500 and there is no elite line to zoom me to one of the four kiosks.

As I type this Web support has gotten me squared away. Was only on hold a few minutes. Efficient folks, Web support. Their number: 1-800-589-5582
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1MM / AA PP, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Chances of vdb credit at DCA tmrw?

I'm booked on one of the last flights still scheduled to depart DCA for ORD tomorrow AM. Originally booked in NY class.

Is it worthwhile to head to the airport and try to give up my seat for VDB credit? All flights out of DCA are Y0 tomorrow for those flights not yet canceled.

And if I do so, can I still cancel my reservation and get my miles back?
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:42 pm

Originally Posted by Clarkcc1
I'm booked on one of the last flights still scheduled to depart DCA for ORD tomorrow AM. Originally booked in NY class.

Is it worthwhile to head to the airport and try to give up my seat for VDB credit? All flights out of DCA are Y0 tomorrow for those flights not yet canceled.

I would bet the chances of VDB are ZERO. When irrops like this happen, UA takes the availability away for purchase. So, it shows zero, but it is not really booked full. If you have no intention of traveling, then please don't go to the airport.
Old Feb 4, 2010, 9:44 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Clarkcc1

You can not (/should not be able to) do both: VDB and cancel to return the miles.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 12:59 am
Moderator: Hyatt Gold Passport & Star Alliance

Programs: UA-1K 3MM/HY- LT Globalist/BA-GGL/GfL
LHR-IAD, UA919/925 cancelled today
AMD-IAD UA947, cancelled today
Old Feb 5, 2010, 5:31 am

Delta Flight cancelled for Saturday Feb 6th
DTW to IAD
Received full refund.
Old Feb 5, 2010, 8:06 am

Programs: UA 1MM, Marriott Lifetime Plat, Southwest A-List Preferred
projected storm totals have been raised...now sitting at 20-28 inches for the DC metro area.

all hail "Snowmageddon"!!!

Old Feb 5, 2010, 8:15 am
In Memoriam

Programs: UA 1K, RCC; AA EXP; HH Diamond; CC Gold
Originally Posted by shannonnp
Delta Flight cancelled for Saturday Feb 6th
DTW to IAD
Received full refund.
At least Delta got around to canceling Saturday. I have a friend who is/was flying MKE-DTW-ROA this morning & Delta didn't cancel his DTW-ROA until he was boarded on the MKE-DTW flight. He's now "stuck" in DTW. Which brings me to my main point of posting...

THANK YOU United and UnitedPR for being a lot more proactive in early cancellations during this storm. I really appreciate how quickly you acted! ^

P.S. Welcome to Flyertalk shannonnp!

Last edited by UNITED863; Feb 5, 2010 at 8:42 am Reason: To welcome shannonnp
Old Feb 5, 2010, 8:31 am
Original Member, Ambassador: External Miles and Points Resources

Location: Digital Nomad Wandering the Earth - Currently in LIMA, PERU
Last night's 363 IAD-ORD at 1010pm was a VDB-palooza. As a 1k on a W fare I was number 23 on the ug list on a 320. There were so many screens for standby pax I quit watching. Needless to say, about half the flight boarded via the red carpet. Seems like many, many UGS and 1ks that needed to fly out this weekend were on that flight.

So YES, thank you UA for the proactive cancelations. You earned a ton of goodwill this weekend! ^
Old Feb 5, 2010, 8:39 am

Programs: UA Gold-MM, AA Gold-MM, F9-Silver, Hyatt Something, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by kokonutz
Last night's 363 IAD-ORD at 1010pm was a VDB-palooza. As a 1k on a W fare I was number 23 on the ug list on a 320. There were so many screens for standby pax I quit watching. Needless to say, about half the flight boarded via the red carpet. Seems like many, many UGS and 1ks that needed to fly out this weekend were on that flight.

So YES, thank you UA for the proactive cancelations. You earned a ton of goodwill this weekend! ^
So how many VDB's do you think they took?
Old Feb 5, 2010, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
I'm in Chicago sitting this one out, but this is going to be interesting to watch.

UA has again been VERY proactive in cancelling early (something I agree with) and all their ORD-DCA flights after the 9:07 this morning have been axed. Meanwhile I have a colleague who's on the AA flight at 10:20 which is still showing as "on time" and their first cancellation is the 11:50, a good three hours after UAs first cancellation. I wonder if he'll actually get there or not!
Old Feb 5, 2010, 9:03 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
so far so good....

looks like (as of now) ua6 sfo-jfk for tomorrow (2/6) is still going and i'm all checked in. now to wait until this afternoon to olci for my return on 863

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.