Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Ticket on UA codeshare -- what benefit to UA?

Old Mar 5, 03, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM

If, while ticketing on united.com, I'm presented with the same flight on, for example, Air Canada and United, is there an advantage to United if I ticket the United codeshare rather than the AC flight?

Example: Air Canada 123 = UA 3123 codeshare, operated by AC.
Is there any benefit to United if I purposely ticket it as the United codeshare rather than simply the Air Canada flight? Does any money change hands? If the tickets are the exact same price, what should I do? I'm a loyal UA FF and I want to do my part to help the airline.

Thanks to all for your insight.
Old Mar 5, 03, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I believe UA gets something out of it if you ticket through them. There is a revenue split. I do not know the particulars.
Old Mar 5, 03, 5:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
Not all code-shares are the same.

LH and UA just started to share all costs/earnings on all LH and UA transatlantic flights (be it code-share or not).

Other code-shares agreements let the code-sharing airline (UA) actually buy seats (for an undisclosed special price) from the actual carrier.
Old Mar 6, 03, 12:38 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT
UA gets a cut and you'll get potential headaches.

Codeshare passengers often are not able to get assigned seats because the ticketing carrier can not see the operating carrier's seat map and the operating carrier does not want to touch a codeshare reservation until check-in.

If there is a delay, the operating carrier might refer you back to the ticketing carrier because the ticket was issued by the ticketing carrier's fare and the ticketing carrier will refer you to the operating carrier because it is their delay.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: