Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let the lawsuits begin.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 28, 2003, 6:36 pm
Original Poster

Let the lawsuits begin.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">United workers sue stock ownership plan over losses
February 28, 2003 8:03:00 PM ET

SEATTLE, Feb 28 (Reuters) - A group of United Airlines employees filed suit against managers of the airline's employee stock ownership plan (ESOP) on Friday, claiming the plan's trustees failed to protect workers' interests and cost them billions of dollars in lost investments.

The proposed class-action lawsuit, filed in a U.S. district court in Chicago, says the committee that ran United's stock ownership plan was not objective when it chose to hold stock in United parent UAL Corp. (UAL) as its plunged in value.

Hagens Berman, a Seattle-based legal firm representing the United workers, released a written statement on Friday detailing the suit. United, which is 55 percent-owned by its employees, did not immediately return calls for comment.

Shares of UAL, which filed the largest bankruptcy in aviation history in December, closed at $1.08 on Friday, down sharply from around $32 just prior to Sept. 11, 2001. The stock had already lost significant ground in the months before Sept. 11 as the economy sickened, and they were worth more than $100 each in the late 1990s.

The lawsuit claims that "the plan trustees fell short of their duty when they failed to move ESOP holdings to less risky, more appropriate investments, all while failing to disclose that the stock was an imprudent investment," the statement said.

State Street Bank, the plan's independent trustee, began to sell UAL stock last fall when it determined the plan had too much capital invested in UAL shares.

United's ESOP now holds about 20 million UAL shares.

State Street has been fighting in court since December to sell more shares to protect shareholder value, since they are generally rendered worthless in a bankruptcy.

But a U.S. bankruptcy court judge ruled last week that it cannot sell more shares, because the sales would jeopardize an important tax benefit to United. REUTERS

© 2003 Reuters</font>
Old Feb 28, 2003, 7:17 pm

Location: IND- Views expressed by me in this forum are solely my opinion and do not reflect the opinion or policies of UA.
I'm a UA employee and I lost my ... in 2001.
Amazingly, I didn't have a single red cent invested in UAL, any airline or any subsidiarys.

The market was tanking already (thanks W.)and 9-11 scared most of the die-hards off after the carnage in 2001.

Some people never learn the rule: today for you, tomorrow for me- or, what comes around goes around.

You (we) already lost! Most of us did. Why drag down the rest of us with lawsuits? Why even try? How can anyone feel better for doing that?

"Well, UAL laid me off in 2002 but I helped make sure there wasn't a UAL for anybody else to work for."

Hey, sister/brother... that makes you WORSE than a scab.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 7:29 pm

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
The real failure here is to realize that an investment in a company's stock is just that - an investment in the company.

UA is in the dumpster right now and so is its stock.

The implication that the "financial advisiors" did not warn that the company may financially "suck wind" is a perfect example of the lack of understanding that exsists in today's marketplace.

UA stock could be woth $100 a share or less than a $1. It is YOUR decision to decide if you want to own it.

Put your eggs where you wish but don't ***** and whine IF your ONE nest falls to the gound with a cracking thud...

[This message has been edited by geo1005 (edited 02-28-2003).]
Old Feb 28, 2003, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey Everybody!

geo is back!

Welcome back, geo!
Old Feb 28, 2003, 8:25 pm

Location: Memphis, TN USA UA 1K, NW Platinum, AA Gold, Starwood Platinum, HHonors Gold
JANA:

In your post you thank someone named 'W' for the stock woes. Who is this person? Is this referring to Goodwin?

You may want to edit and clarify it. The only 'W' I hear referred to is our President. We all know that this country was in a recession months before the presidential election.

The only way people make money in airline stocks over the long-term is to short them. I truly feel sorry for the employees of UA if they had airline stock as the foundation for their retirement.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 8:55 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyingRev:

I truly feel sorry for the employees of UA if they had airline stock as the foundation for their retirement.[/B]</font>
Well, all the employees who participated in the ESOP did, and it was restricted....could not be sold at will.
Old Feb 28, 2003, 8:57 pm

Location: IND- Views expressed by me in this forum are solely my opinion and do not reflect the opinion or policies of UA.
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by FlyingRev:
JANA:

In your post you thank someone named 'W' for the stock woes. Who is this person? Is this referring to Goodwin?

You may want to edit and clarify it. The only 'W' I hear referred to is our President. We all know that this country was in a recession months before the presidential election.

The only way people make money in airline stocks over the long-term is to short them. I truly feel sorry for the employees of UA if they had airline stock as the foundation for their retirement.
</font>
Again- I do not now and have never owned airline stock.
That said... the "W' I was referring to is indeed our President. Our economy was still strong prior to the presidential election. My husband was laid off on May 1, 2001. Our stocks went into "bail factor" in Dec. 2000- after "W" was elected. (Hubby was a stockbroker and predicted the economy would falter, in his words, BIG TIME.)
IT DID.

Yes,prior to 9-11, UAL was hurting. We all were. Just like Daddy... re-invent the war Daddy fought and hope for public support. It ain't happening... There is very little support on the homefront or with our allies.

If we must go in, do it and FAST. Knowing W. (GEORGE W BUSH), we'll spend our great grandchildren's money wiping out Iraq and then spend their grandchildren's money wiping out N. Korea.

Goodwin who?
Old Feb 28, 2003, 11:03 pm
GGpillow

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by geo1005:
The real failure here is to realize that an investment in a company's stock is just that - an investment in the company.

UA is in the dumpster right now and so is its stock.

The implication that the "financial advisiors" did not warn that the company may financially "suck wind" is a perfect example of the lack of understanding that exsists in today's marketplace.

UA stock could be woth $100 a share or less than a $1. It is YOUR decision to decide if you want to own it.

Put your eggs where you wish but don't ***** and whine IF your ONE nest falls to the gound with a cracking thud...

[This message has been edited by geo1005 (edited 02-28-2003).]
</font>
In general, I agree with your comments, however, what you have failed to take into account, is that some 20,000 of UAL's employees, were forced into the ESOP against their will, with absolutely no say in the matter. Those are the ones whining the loudest. They didn't make an investment, they were told, "We are cutting your pay 15% and you get ESOP shares that you will not be allowed to cash in untill you retire." If this was a voluntary investment, your point would be valid.

Old Mar 1, 2003, 1:04 am

Programs: SQ TPP, UA 1K MM
You may want to edit and clarify it. The only 'W' I hear referred to is our President. We all know that this country was in a recession months before the presidential election.</font>
Uh, no, actually. Let me correct two misstatements. First of all, he's not MY president. I, along with a majority of the voters in the U.S., voted for someone else.

Second, this country was doing pretty well until "W" and his financial hacks took over. And now he's going to have his little pet war to distract people from just how badly the economy sucks.

And to keep this post topical, W's little war could very well be the nail in the coffin of our two largest airlines. Now that's presidential leadership!

[This message has been edited by crazycrab955 (edited 03-01-2003).]
Old Mar 1, 2003, 1:24 am

Good Grief Jana,
The President has very little to do with the performance of the economy whether it's Clinton, Gore, bore, snore, tush or Bush. Economys run in cycles and the best thing government can do is stay out of the way and let the market work. Remember that the industry with the fastest rising cost (Health Care) has the most government meddling with Medicare, medicaid, DRG's etc.

I'll never understand this slavish dedication to the Democratic party by organized Labor. Especially the airline unions. Linda Daschle is a paid whore, er lobbyist for several of the majors. That's why Tom and Linda have never made their tax returns public and why he won't run for president. With folks like that I would argue that Labor has had about all of the help it can stand from the Democrats. After all Democrats have held control of Congress for most of the last 50 years and Union membership has declined from nearly 35% of workers to 15% now. Democrats are doing a bang up job aren't they?? But not to worry you'll figure out a way to blame Bush. Instead why not check out www.lp.org and read the platform on organized labor and tell me why you haven't thrown a ton of money at this political party and helped it grow??
Old Mar 1, 2003, 2:07 am
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jana:
I'm a UA employee and I lost my ... in 2001.
Amazingly, I didn't have a single red cent invested in UAL, any airline or any subsidiarys.

The market was tanking already (thanks W.)and 9-11 scared most of the die-hards off after the carnage in 2001.

Some people never learn the rule: today for you, tomorrow for me- or, what comes around goes around.

You (we) already lost! Most of us did. Why drag down the rest of us with lawsuits? Why even try? How can anyone feel better for doing that?

"Well, UAL laid me off in 2002 but I helped make sure there wasn't a UAL for anybody else to work for."

Hey, sister/brother... that makes you WORSE than a scab.
</font>

Please don't shoot the messenger.
Old Mar 1, 2003, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Jana:

Why drag down the rest of us with lawsuits? Why even try? How can anyone feel better for doing that?

</font>
Answer: The lawyers.
Old Mar 1, 2003, 7:18 am

Programs: BA Gold, American Airlines, Marriott Plat, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by GGpillow:
In general, I agree with your comments, however, what you have failed to take into account, is that some 20,000 of UAL's employees, were forced into the ESOP against their will, with absolutely no say in the matter.</font>
My understanding of UA history is limited. I thought the ESOP program was approved by the various union reps who, in turn, represented all of the employees?

Old Mar 1, 2003, 8:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF FB Platinum For Life (F+ Rouge Vintage®) / Hertz President's Circle / SNCF Grand Voyageur Le Club
Hey, geo1005!
Old Mar 1, 2003, 1:44 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by crazycrab955:
...First of all, he's not MY president. I, along with a majority of the voters in the U.S., voted for someone else.

Second, this country was doing pretty well until "W" and his financial hacks took over...
</font>
Just for the record, the S&P500, the Dow, and NASDAQ all peaked in January, 2000, or a month or two thereafter, back during the regime of another president the majority did not vote for. They have not hit those levels since.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.