Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

LAX International Arrival & CBP clearance @TBIT

Old Nov 3, 2009, 9:33 pm

Originally Posted by TRIPLE-7
Whoa! This is the only part that I didn't quite get and the 1K desk didn't know either. Is there a person or place to drop off UAL specific bags at Bradley after customs? I don't know.
I don't know how it is now, but one always used to be able to drop UA bags at TBIT. You just exit customs to the right instead of the left, and it leads you to a bag re-screening/drop point. I didn't ever have a problem with misconnects, but YMMV.

And as most know, while the "bus to Bradley" is never fun, it was SOP for the UA MEX flight for years. Doesn't make it right, but the issue is nothing new to United @ LAX.
Old Nov 3, 2009, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
So, any update you can disclose?

It's pretty cool that you actually got a response, AND they're interested in hearing you out.

Personally, I don't know what can possibly be said to UA management to convince them of spending $ to keep it open; I think they just look at the bottom line and not factor in lost business (and I wonder how they could even reliably measure that). The other issue I have (of an airside connection that runs through ALL of the terminals) is just a pipe dream with the LAWA.
Unfortunately it was more of the same double-talk...

At first it seemed that the "suit" did not know that passengers were being bused to Bradley...or at least acted that he did not...then he tried to blame CBP...but after I reminded him that this happened last year and it was UA's decision, he relented that it "probably" was an economic consideration! He tried to convince me to stay with United instead of going to NZ...reminding me that the new upgraded seats were coming to C and F...I reminded him that NZ already has great C seats and better food and better service!...no comment from him!

Finally I asked him how he would like to fly an 11 hour flight to a terminal with FIS only to have to be crammed into buses for a trip over to Bradley...and last year I did this twice in the rain!...His only response was that he would forward my concerns to upper management...

All in all...a waste of my time! NZ...here I come!
Old Nov 3, 2009, 11:25 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Wow a UA suit wanted to talk to a 3MM and succeeded in pissing you off so much you are moving airlines, that just speaks volumes for this airline doesn't it?!?! ()
Old Nov 3, 2009, 11:44 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by 1KPath
Unfortunately it was more of the same double-talk...

Finally I asked him how he would like to fly an 11 hour flight to a terminal with FIS only to have to be crammed into buses for a trip over to Bradley...and last year I did this twice in the rain!...His only response was that he would forward my concerns to upper management...

All in all...a waste of my time! NZ...here I come!
Bummer... thanks for the update. I know we weren't hoping for much... but there was just that glimmer. Hope springs eternal...
Old Nov 4, 2009, 8:19 am

Programs: Solitarie PPS, Marco Polo Gold, Mileage Plus Premier
I flown in & out both SFO & LAX in the last 30 years so I figured it out UA Int'l hub in west coast are pretty much based in SFO, nicer terminal than TBIT, more immigration counters, easier transfer between other UA flights...why bother to fly UA to LAX & transit it over there...unless you have some important business to do...!
Old Nov 4, 2009, 8:28 am

Programs: UA 2K MM - Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by SQ Flyer Talker
why bother to fly UA to LAX & transit it over there...unless you have some important business to do...!
.....or 2 relatives are using my miles and we are all meeting in L.A. for a continuance on 935 to HNL, and no other flights were available using my saver awards 330 days out.

BTW my flight from LAS now has been rescheduled for a 40 minute connection @ LAX to 935 also.

We all might be wearing the same shorts for a few days.
Old Nov 4, 2009, 12:36 pm

Programs: United 1P. 880k lifetime miles, all on my own dime.
I thought the addition of Alaska, Delta, etc in T6 would lead to CBP remaining open throughout the day. Is UA the only airline still using this arrivals point?
Old Nov 4, 2009, 2:03 pm

Programs: UA LT GS 4.12MM (4.08MM BIS), AA EXP 1.86MM ,DL DM 1.1MM, HH LT Diamond, SPG Platinum
Originally Posted by Channel 9
Wow a UA suit wanted to talk to a 3MM and succeeded in pissing you off so much you are moving airlines, that just speaks volumes for this airline doesn't it?!?! ()
I think it speaks volumes of a certain management level at UAL...I have talked to local LAX management and they understand...the pilots and FAs understand...the GAs understand it and CBP certainly understands...I feel it is the decision of the damn bean counters who tend not be airline people, or for that matter, understand customer service at all! I even talked to some of the management types at a couple of UA gatherings...and they said they understood and would try to let the "higher-ups" know what the feelings of FFs were! No Joy!!

I switched to NZ last year for this reason and went back to UA when T-6 FIS reopened...Well, it is back to NZ again...and I probably will not be back to UA (this pains me a lot as I have made many close friends at UA's LHR base and I will miss a lot of the FAs and GAs there!!)
Old Nov 4, 2009, 6:59 pm

Originally Posted by 1KPath
I think it speaks volumes of a certain management level at UAL...I have talked to local LAX management and they understand...the pilots and FAs understand...the GAs understand it and CBP certainly understands...I feel it is the decision of the damn bean counters who tend not be airline people, or for that matter, understand customer service at all! I even talked to some of the management types at a couple of UA gatherings...and they said they understood and would try to let the "higher-ups" know what the feelings of FFs were! No Joy!!
Well in fairness, I'm sure there's a 'bean counter' somewhere looking at the actual cost of paying CBP to stay open for one flight like this, saying, "no, YOU don't understand"!

But personally, I wish they could at least park the plane at TBIT to offload and then taxi it back over to T7... just like they do every day for every arriving intl flight at ORD. That would at least solve the problem for the LAX arrivers - which is probably 80% of the passengers. Years ago, they used to do this for the MEX flight, but then the "bus" took over.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 6:20 pm

Programs: AF platinum, ua gold 1mm, aa plat 1mm mile, hyatt diamond, starwood gold
lax customs in term 7

discoved to my chagrin now closed at 11 am...bus to to tbit....why even bother (i know morning asia flts), but i always remembered it was 3:00 pm before ual customs closed....turned into a 2 hour find my ride hullaballoo as mom's cell phone (who insisted on getting me) was out and we could not find each other among the us/filipino/indian/chinese families with carts full of household goods and construction....

bummer cuz from touchdown from lhr at 1:14, did bus ride and immigration and was out on curb at TBIT at 1:31 PM

Not sure point of this post except plaintive vent
Old Dec 7, 2009, 12:40 am

Programs: UA 1P
Had the misfortune of experiencing TBIT from UA935 on 12/05, with a connection on to OGG. I normally go via SFO, but 935 had 21J available with a pretty empty C cabin (upgrade cleared) while 955 didn't have anything in 17/21 open and a very full C cabin... so I thought I would risk it.

On a positive note, the first bus seemed to be on it's way pretty quickly with mostly just the F & C cabins and the immigration lines for visitors weren't too bad - in fact I'd say shorter than I normally experience at SFO.

Howver, they seemed to be full of non-English speakers and translators were being required all over. The CBP officer I saw seemed relieved to have an English speaker.

Baggage reclaim was a mess. After the advertised belt changing, anything tagged priority was very late coming out. Then customs was a real mess with a line weaving around at least 2 baggage reclaim belts.

After customs it turned out the baggage reclaim belt was broken. Loads of bags just left by the side - advice from the guy working it to people with tight connections is "you'll make it but your bags won't". My connection wasn't tight, but I didn't think I'd ever see my bags again if I left them there, so I opted to walk them over to United in T6.

All in all not a pleasant experience - which is a real shame as the 7,942 miles I travelled with United that day were otherwise some of the most pleasant flights I've experienced!
Old Dec 7, 2009, 6:59 am

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
The irony of TBIT arrivals is that they are still scheduling connecting flights as if you were arriving in T6, so I missed a connection there a couple of weeks ago by miles. Immigration was a disaster, and stupid me, I still hadn't sorted out my global entry program thingy. I've fixed that now, you can be sure.

LAX has much better upgrade availability than SFO, by several country miles, so in truth there is lots to be said for flying through there right now. But TBIT is a nightmare; the baggage drop off is a workplace hazard right now. Ah well ...
Old Dec 7, 2009, 10:32 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Originally Posted by ORDSteve
I thought the addition of Alaska, Delta, etc in T6 would lead to CBP remaining open throughout the day. Is UA the only airline still using this arrivals point?
When I arrived SYD-LAX on DL, we came through T5.
Old Dec 7, 2009, 12:39 pm

Programs: Alaska FF
Originally Posted by luv2ctheworld
So, any update you can disclose?

It's pretty cool that you actually got a response, AND they're interested in hearing you out.

Personally, I don't know what can possibly be said to UA management to convince them of spending $ to keep it open; I think they just look at the bottom line and not factor in lost business (and I wonder how they could even reliably measure that). The other issue I have (of an airside connection that runs through ALL of the terminals) is just a pipe dream with the LAWA.
An airside connection is coming. It's part of the next phase of construction at TBIT, which is in the bidding and contract phase (I think).

But, it will only connect T4 (AA) and T5 (Delta) to TBIT. The connection to T5 may just be logistical. The connection to T4 is necessitated by Qantas' presence in T4 and AA's acquisition of four new gates at TBIT.
Old Jan 31, 2010, 5:17 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold

I was on UA 935 (LHR-LAX) today, and had the usual bus to TBIT for immigration and customs clearance. While waiting for the luggage to show up, I chatted with the UA concierge for GS and FC about the hassles of international arrival at LAX. She told me that it's not just UA that has to bus all of their international arrivals after 10 am to TBIT. Apparently all of the remote immigrations and customs stations are closed after 10 am, with exception of 1 group of 3 or 4 international arrivals in Terminal 2. And those T2 passengers are bussed to TBIT as well if their flight is late.

What's interesting is that the UA rep told me that all of this bussing costs UA a lot more money than to keep the T6 arrival hall open, especially since T6 now has Delta and Continental's international arrivals as well. UA has offered to pay the government 2X what it pays now to keep T6 arrival hall open throughout the day. She implied that Delta and Continental also offered to pay more. But the government turned down the offers saying that they don't have enough manpower to do this regardless of money. So we are all stuck with getting bussed to the zoo that is TBIT arrival hall, at least until the summer. Government services at its finest...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.