Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

LAX International Arrival & CBP clearance @TBIT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX International Arrival & CBP clearance @TBIT

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2009, 8:51 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat; UA Plat
Originally Posted by SkiAdcock
If these are the main airlines moving to T6, not sure that helps UA935:

"To accommodate Virgin America's proposed move, five (5) T-3 carriers (AirTran, Frontier, Midwest, Spirit Airlines, and Sun Country) will need to be relocated to T-6."

Cheers.
Agreed, but those airlines had already moved to T6 as part of the Virgin America switch, which predated this new agreement between UA and LAWA. I think the hope was that this new agreement would leave AS, with its many flights from Mexico, as the new T6 occupant (maybe even displacing some of those who recently moved from T3 back to T3), with the net result being longer operating hours of the T6/7 FIS. We'll see.
Old Feb 19, 2009, 11:26 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Originally Posted by twoaisleplane
Agreed, but those airlines had already moved to T6 as part of the Virgin America switch, which predated this new agreement between UA and LAWA. I think the hope was that this new agreement would leave AS, with its many flights from Mexico, as the new T6 occupant (maybe even displacing some of those who recently moved from T3 back to T3), with the net result being longer operating hours of the T6/7 FIS. We'll see.
Anything that keeps T6/7 open for the 935 flight works for me - unless all their flights come in at the same time

Cheers.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 2:45 am

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
CBP staffing killed T6 late hours

CBP is not willing to staff T6 arrivals for ONE UA flight, hence it got shorter operating hours. This was confirmed by a CBP supervisor

I'm in the * lounge in LHR and they actually now hand out a notice telling passengers (properly printed in color) that 935 arrives into TBIT.

This is terrible. I would have preferred to be honest 935/934 moving their flight schedule in 1 hour or so.... this makes this flight on arrival useless now. I will now route LHR-SFO-SNA on returns and just get closer to home.

If anyone from UA press is reading this... I'm going to make sure this gets written up in the local travel press.
Old Mar 6, 2009, 3:51 am

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
CBP is not willing to staff T6 arrivals for ONE UA flight, hence it got shorter operating hours. This was confirmed by a CBP supervisor
Hence the reason why my next trip later this month is routed LHR-SFO-LAX... I'll take the extra miles and the [usually] easier immigration at SFO versus the lottery at TBIT - UA's loss really, as the fare is the same both direct and via SFO, so I just end up occupying an extra seat and earning more miles going the slower way, whilst UA gets no more revenue!

Andy
Old Mar 6, 2009, 8:37 am

Programs: Lots
Originally Posted by NickP 1K
Clarification: CBP is not staffing T6 arrivals for 935 because UA is not willing to pay for it.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 3:04 am

LAX Arrivals increasingly using TBIT. Why?

Title says it all pretty much.

Have flown LHR/LAX 3 times in the last 12 weeks and each time, we have received the grim hews upon arrival that we would park at T7 and taken over to Tom Bradley to clear immigration.

What's happening? Is there construction work that has affected the immigration area in T7? Does it even exist anymore?

Had a quick check on the LA website and it seems that the FRA flight will also arrive to TBIT, yet SYD is listed as T7.

Last time, I had to endure 90 minutes in the hell-hole of an immigration hall in TBIT (multiple flight arrivals from Asia, Mexico & Europe were in the hall as well). Whilst T7 isn't particularly pleasant, I've never had to wait that long. In addition, it's leaves those picking you up wondering where to meet you, and makes tight connections even tighter with the unplanned transfer back to T6/7/8.

Next time, I think I'll avoid LAX altoghter and go to ONT via SFO/DEN.

Anyone able to provide insight as to the increased usage of TBIT? Is it even increased, or have I just been "lucky" the last 20 times?

Mark
Old Apr 2, 2009, 6:07 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
Full story at UA T7/T6 immigration/customs operating hours?
Old Apr 2, 2009, 6:20 am

Originally Posted by mjgodden
... Next time, I think I'll avoid LAX altoghter and go to ONT via SFO/DEN ...
That's what I do. I avoid LAX like a plague on in- and outbound and instead use SNA or ONT while travelling to LA area. Never tried BUR though.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 7:09 am

Originally Posted by 1kBill
Ohhhhhh. Thanks. ^ What a great source of info FT is!

Originally Posted by DogHead
That's what I do. I avoid LAX like a plague on in- and outbound and instead use SNA or ONT while travelling to LA area. Never tried BUR though.
Only used BUR for an arrival which was very quick, though due to construction work, seemed a bit of a mess. Won't be permanent at least.

Mark
MODS - Perhaps you can merge this thread?

Last edited by mjgodden; Apr 2, 2009 at 7:09 am Reason: Spelling
Old Apr 2, 2009, 11:17 am

Programs: UA Gold/1MM, AA EXP, Marriott Plat
I flew back on UA935 from LHR this past Monday and I was surprised actually to not have been bused to TBIT and cleared customs at T6/T7. Not that I'm complaing...but I wonder why.
Old Apr 2, 2009, 11:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 2.2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Exec, Hertz President's Club, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by AndrewT84
I flew back on UA935 from LHR this past Monday and I was surprised actually to not have been bused to TBIT and cleared customs at T6/T7. Not that I'm complaing...but I wonder why.

The schedule for UA935 has changed. It now departs LHR about 45 minutes earlier and arrives into LAX 45 minutes earlier, which is the difference between UA keeping the customs / immigrations officers there.

I was the OP on this thread, and I'm glad that this flight has gone back to T7. I did the bus to TBIT at least half a dozen times, and it was a major pain... not to mention the fact that there is no UA desk there. A very poor customer experience IMO.

Unfortunately I took this flight last week and it turned out to be the last one before the schedule change... so I got to do the bus thing one more time.

And all for a 45 minute difference in arrival time.... come on UA. You can do better.
Old Apr 8, 2009, 7:00 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat
Does anyone know if the T7/T6 immigration facility has the Global Entry Trusted Traveler Program kiosks? Or are they just in the TBIT?
Old Apr 9, 2009, 9:00 am

Programs: UA1K 2MM and more
Originally Posted by SD-Flyer
The schedule for UA935 has changed. It now departs LHR about 45 minutes earlier and arrives into LAX 45 minutes earlier, which is the difference between UA keeping the customs / immigrations officers there.

I was the OP on this thread, and I'm glad that this flight has gone back to T7. I did the bus to TBIT at least half a dozen times, and it was a major pain... not to mention the fact that there is no UA desk there. A very poor customer experience IMO.

Unfortunately I took this flight last week and it turned out to be the last one before the schedule change... so I got to do the bus thing one more time.

And all for a 45 minute difference in arrival time.... come on UA. You can do better.
Wow, this will be nice. I flew back the Saturday before the time change and we still went to TBIT. I fly in London next week and fly back on UA935 on April 20 so I'll report back.
Old Apr 10, 2009, 5:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP with lots of BA. UA 2MM Lifetime Plat - No longer chase hotel loyalty
Originally Posted by AceAirspeed
Does anyone know if the T7/T6 immigration facility has the Global Entry Trusted Traveler Program kiosks? Or are they just in the TBIT?
Yes there is *ONE* machine, all the way at the end of the hall near the crew line/CPB office.

I crashed it the last time I used it but then did use the crew lane.
Old Apr 22, 2009, 11:19 am

Programs: UA1K 2MM and more
Thumbs up No TBIT!

Just came back on Monday on UA 935 and no TBIT. Got in ~1:30. Baggage claim got my bag out quickly. Much better. Thank you UAL for listening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.