Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

LAX International Arrival & CBP clearance @TBIT

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX International Arrival & CBP clearance @TBIT

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2011, 3:37 am

Programs: UA Lifetime Gold / BA GGL&CCR
Originally Posted by UpperDeckJunkie
I'm scheduled to arrive at TBIT on TG794 at 7:20PM and connect to an 8:30PM flt to SFO. I'll have checked luggage.

Is there a place I can recheck the bag after clearing customs at TBIT or do I have to drag all my luggage over to T7/8 .

Strategies for making my connection appreciated.
One word: RUN.

I did this 3 days ago and the entire hall was nothing short of a zoo. Probably upwards of 7-8 flights arrive at that time. I was the first off TG794 and it took me the better part of an hour to clear immigration and customs. Good luck.
Old Apr 1, 2011, 5:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, Bonvoy Tit, Hilton Dia etc etc
I'm scheduled to arrive at TBIT on TG794 at 7:20PM and connect to an 8:30PM flt to SFO. I'll have checked luggage.

Is there a place I can recheck the bag after clearing customs at TBIT or do I have to drag all my luggage over to T7/8 .

Run indeed. If time permits (not clear when you are transiting) apply for GOES - and skip the immigration queue. Pray bags come quickly, not much you can do about that, though hopefully you will have priority tagging of some sort.

There is a place you can recheck, yes, but the last time I went through TBIT the line was horrendous for the recheck/dropoff point. I had a small suitcase with me, so just dragged it with me to the UA terminal and rechecked there.

I've not done it at that time, but when I did make my connection, after dropping my bag at the UA terminal - which took seconds - I joined a seemingly endless security line, with one line for priority which was just as nuts, and hardly policed at all.

I'd ended up through LAX as I had to rebook a flight at the last minute, literally, moving it out one day (so really hard to find options). Was a very unpleasant experience. This was when coming from Europe they were closing the UA immigration area early. For some reason they had put me on a 90 min transit time, which seemed tight. Just my luck, that flight was delayed one hour, and I ended up making it reasonably comfortably. I'd say from TBIT 2 hours is safest. Hope it works out for you!
Old Apr 1, 2011, 7:08 pm

Programs: AS mvp gold UA 1K HH Gold
Good luck. ^ With the additional potential hassle of the ongoing construction at the TBIT, and the bus to terminal 7/8, I'd try to book a later SFO connection. I have cleared customs at LAX in under 30 minutes, but not at that time of day. I think 2 hours could still be tight.
Old Apr 2, 2011, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by pfxlax
... and the bus to terminal 7/8, ...
I've found it faster to walk rather than take a bus. It's 5 mins if you are not a slow walker - and I've never been passed by a bus (done this three times).

As a separate matter, I've always had good luck with this transfer (admittedly at 1 - 2pm times) and it's never taken more than an hour^
Old Apr 2, 2011, 2:22 am

I don't think anybody actually answered your question and I have never gone through customs at TBIT. I can't imagine it's different than any other airport in the US and there must be a baggage recheck right after customs. Just make sure you initially check your bags through to their final destination, so you can just deposit them at the recheck station.

Hopefully somebody more familiar with TBIT will reply, or you can ask in the Los Angeles airport/city forum.

That does sound like a very tight connection regardless.

-David
Old Sep 18, 2011, 5:03 am

Programs: QF gold, HH Diamond, VA plat, Aegean Gold
Update on United Terminal 7 at 10am in the morning

HI we are flying in from Sydney, J Class at 10am. Is immigration fastracked for J class- we are booked on teh 11.25 am ps service to JFK and the connection is a bit tight. What is the likelihood of being bussed from the TBIT at this time of morning? Thanks in advance
Old Sep 18, 2011, 6:01 am

Programs: UA1k 3MM, AA Plt, peasant on everybody else, elite something or other at a bunch of hotels.
You should be OK as long as the flight is on time. UA AM int'l arrivials always go to T7 unless they are ridiculously early. There is no immigration fast-track lane at T7 for anybody but Global Entry (and no where else at LAX that I know of.)

Since you are in C, you should have a head start on many others, although I recommend that you hustle once you get off the plane.

And hope you get in before NRT flight.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.