Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Feb 1 - One-Way Awards and Miles & Money Awards now bookable on ual.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Feb 1 - One-Way Awards and Miles & Money Awards now bookable on ual.com

Search this Thread

Old Jan 29, 2010, 2:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dmodemd
It can figure out to show and allow you to book NY bucket currently when 1K is logged in... Shouldn't be much harder than that...
That's just a different fare code. A new price? That could be tricky.
I have no faith in united.com's capabilities.

When one-way awards were available to 1Ks it was a manual override process.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 2:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by soitgoes
I have no faith in united.com's capabilities.
I have no faith in UA's IT department to implement anything new (or anything old for that matter).
Old Jan 29, 2010, 3:11 pm

I am fine with this AS LONG AS it is only for United Metal - and the option to book traditional round trip awards, with stop overs remain an option. I do not like one way rules enforced on me (and neither should any other frequent flyer)

UNITED is making a serious mistake if this is a strategy to eliminate this benefit (the stopover)

Unless i wants to see itself loose 345 million in one quarter (like that other airline AA)

United please don't be AA. That would suck. Starnet blocking is bad enough.

Originally Posted by terryk
let's hope for one-way awards on star alliance partners too.
are you crazy?

The way it works on Oneworld . Lets say you want to go from IAD to ATH in business class. lets say the award is 120000 (to get to europe) and 20000 intra europe.
It would cost you 60000 to get to LHR + 10000 to get to ATH. The award now costs 140,000 miles r/t.

There is a reason why oneworld has no partners and people are leaving in droves. They suck

One way awards is a back door strategy to claim more miles for the same flights. The only value is if you fly one way. That's it. Most of us have homes/family/people to return to .

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 29, 2010 at 3:28 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 29, 2010, 3:14 pm

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by meFIRST
I am fine with this AS LONG AS it is only for United Metal
Why wouldn't you want one-way Star Alliance awards? Those would be ideal!
Old Jan 29, 2010, 3:41 pm

You folks have lost your mind. Seriously.

That would eliminate free stopovers. Would you like to see that go?

Also - awards with connections, would cost, much, much more. Is this something you want?

This is a backdoor strategy to increase the mileage redemption requirements
Old Jan 29, 2010, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I am fine with this AS LONG AS it is only for United Metal - and the option to book traditional round trip awards, with stop overs remain an option. I do not like one way rules enforced on me (and neither should any other frequent flyer)
I think these are two separate issues. UA could eliminate the stopover without allowing one-way awards or with allowing one-way awards only on UA metal. UA can do what it wants.

The way it works on Oneworld . Lets say you want to go from IAD to ATH in business class. lets say the award is 120000 (to get to europe) and 20000 intra europe.
It would cost you 60000 to get to LHR + 10000 to get to ATH. The award now costs 140,000 miles r/t.
Not on AA. Stopovers are an issue, but you can book one award ticket/cost from IAD-ATH with a connection in LHR.

Also - awards with connections, would cost, much, much more. Is this something you want?
No it's not something I want. I also don't think that is likely. Even AA--which is the reason people fear losing the stopover with one way awards--does not charge extra for connections. I don't see that part changing.

Last edited by soitgoes; Jan 29, 2010 at 3:51 pm
Old Jan 29, 2010, 3:45 pm

One way awards kill the stopover.
That would suck
Old Jan 29, 2010, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA Plat., 1.52 MM
Originally Posted by fastair
1/2 price might go, and it seems nice, but from an economical standpoint, UA SHOULD charge some premium for this. This makes so many "illegal ticketing" situations cost so much less, it takes the one way fare, which in itself has a very high premium cost in many markets, and it makes it so much cheaper, so much easier to use miles instead of big bucks. The revenue dilution from a purely "opportunity lost" case on revenue tickets that would have been sold at a premium makes the potential revenue hit to UA pretty hard. Sure, there may be more passengers that fly UA for this, but true lost revenue is easy to see and empiricize, but potential incremental revenue from passengers that don't fly UA and MIGHT switch is much tougher to prove.
Speaking for myself (of course...): When I had no choice I sacrificed 12,500 miles and flew on board UA one way on an award ticket. Great gain for UA...
With all due respect to the hypothetical potential $$$s to be lost or gained by UA if some arcane change is implemented:
I suggest respectfully to keep in mind that some solid U.S citizens fly domestic and foreign with other airlines than UA - when it is more conducive and expedient for them.
See below: # 36....:

Originally Posted by Ripper3785
You can get one record locator for a RT(2 o/w's) on AAwards.

My guess is that free stopovers go poof. While many don't like it, sources tell me most prefer o/w awards over the option of a free stopover. You should still be able to book a 'stopover', as long as it's less than 24hrs, right?

The system doesn't get more miles or $ from me, at least not to UA/AA. In the europe example, I'll just book some lcc to hop around the areas I want to go to. It's the premium cabin longhauls that I care about.
For completeness of the discussion - UA does not even fly to all 50 states. So even the most loyal UA customer has on some infrequent, although joyfull occasion, take a ride on AA or AS or DL to get to say Alaska and a few other places. At that felicitous opportunity we pay some $$$s to other domestic airlines and keep a FF account with those abhorent said airlines...

In short the world does not revolve around UA.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One way awards kill the stopover.
Not necessarily.
BMI has one-way awards and stopovers.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 4:06 pm

UA should not do this AA style. That would be horrible.
I think the BMI version is palatable.
Old Jan 29, 2010, 4:22 pm

Programs: * A
lets hope UA does not follow AA on this topic
Old Jan 29, 2010, 5:01 pm

Thumbs up

UA should not do this AA style. That would be horrible.
I think the BMI version is palatable.
This sums it up in a sentence !
Old Jan 29, 2010, 6:53 pm

Programs: AA EXP 4MM, Piper Dakota, Admirals Club, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Gold, Wyndham Diamond
No bueno, I like having the stopover option, like AKL-SYD-SFO.
This is where we got skrewed by AA.
However, their Oneworld awards are still in tack (something that *A cannot compare with).
Old Jan 29, 2010, 7:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage Gold
Originally Posted by cbchicago
It will make open jaw trips now bookable online. Example ORD-LAX then return SAN-ORD. Also, First class out and coach back. This is great news.
first out/coach in is one feature I would love. I like to fly to PEK alot and take the westbound via ORD in a premium cabin and take return trip via SFO in coach. PEK-SFO is just too short of a flight for me to want to spend the extra miles (relatively speaking, it speeds back thanks to the jetstreams)...

and now i can even mix and match between AA & UA on a roundtrip, more power to me!
Old Jan 29, 2010, 7:03 pm

As stated, it is definitely possible to have both one-way and stopovers. But if it came down to one, I would much rather have the one-way. I would find the flexibility of the double open-jaw well worth having to pay extra for a stopover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.