Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taking advantage of UA/LH's BA-Match

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2003, 12:02 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Taking advantage of UA/LH's BA-Match

I'm planning to purchase some of those relatively cheap $190 r/t fares to/from London with the UA/LH match. My travel will be in November, however. Bearing this in mind, would you:

(a) Buy a flight on Lufthansa, where you are more likely to have an airline to fly on in 9 months, but will be relatively uncomfortable in coach, or

(b) Buy a flight on United, where there may not be an airline in 9 mnths, but you will relatively comfortable in a E+ seat??

The ideal world would be to book an LH codeshare on a UA flight, but somehow they don't code-share on flights from Denver (or I couldn't pull it up).
Old Feb 12, 2003, 1:10 pm

Programs: UA MM, AA PP
Where's your confidence??? If you don't buy tix on UA then aren't you contributing to any potential downfall? OK, I'm no economist. However, wasn't CO in BK a # of times? TWA in BK for 10 years? UA isn't going anywhere. And in Nov when you're squished into a LH econ seat 'cuz you couldn't get an upgrade on standby, then you'll be thinking about your wrong choice for eight tight long hours.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 1:31 pm

You beat me; I was hoping to be the first to share the good news about this great fare. I grabbed LAX/CDG for $369, but I could have chosen LAX/LHR for $300. Never seen fares on UA this low from LAX.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 1:56 pm
Suspended

I flew LH in Y last month to FRA and it really isn't that bad. I was on a 330-200 and it is comparable to most other carriers hopping across the pond. The tightness complaints of LH I believe are vastly overrated. Within Europe yes, International, not really.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 2:49 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by MapleLeaf:
I flew LH in Y last month to FRA and it really isn't that bad. I was on a 330-200 and it is comparable to most other carriers hopping across the pond. The tightness complaints of LH I believe are vastly overrated. Within Europe yes, International, not really.</font>
I think the reason is, that these are not normal LH planes with LH seats, but former sabena and swissair planes that lh has leased for the time being. the exterior is painted in lh colors, but the seats are the sabena or SR seats....
Old Feb 12, 2003, 2:55 pm

Programs: Many
At least those of you on the East Coast have the luxury of choosing UA E+ to Europe vs. LH. From the West Coast, there is no E+ to Europe in general.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 3:08 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by unagi1:
From the West Coast, there is no E+ to Europe in general.</font>
Didn't they convert some of those routes to 763's? Were I to live on the West coast, you would see me on a transcon in E+ connecting to an IAD or ORD flight to Europe in E+. Plus, you get more miles!

Old Feb 12, 2003, 3:12 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Snorkdoc:
Never seen fares on UA this low from LAX.</font>
Or likely any other airline, for that matter. The sale is most beneficial over the peak summer months, where the sale fare is 1/2 of the normal fare. The winter sale fares are similar to what is normally offered from the east coast, so this is indeed great for those on the west coast.
Old Feb 12, 2003, 3:52 pm

As these are published fares, I would visit a travel agent, book the UA flights, but have them issued on LH ticket stock.

This means that you pay LH for the ticket. LH pays UA when you take the flights. If there is no UA by that time, LH should be able to reaccommodate you.

Alternatively, with the codeshare idea, there are LH codeshares out of DEN, however, you'll need to connect via FRA. So something like DEN-ORD-FRA-LHR all LH coded with DEN-ORD-FRA on UA metal.

[This message has been edited by keithguy (edited 02-12-2003).]
Old Feb 13, 2003, 12:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I'm at a loss here on the e+ issue.

Do 777s have e+ seating? That is what we fly from SFO to LHR,
Old Feb 13, 2003, 1:32 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Boraxo:
I'm at a loss here on the e+ issue.

Do 777s have e+ seating? That is what we fly from SFO to LHR,
</font>
Check out www.seatguru.com

There are enough threads on this board about 777's E+ to keep one busy reading for months.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.