Wiki Posts
Search

UA Flight Attendant Kept Her Cool...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 10, 2010, 3:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Global Services 3MM, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist
UA Flight Attendant Kept Her Cool...

I bore witness (partially, anyway) to yet another self-entitled chucklehead berating a FA for reasons out of her control.

I was in F on a TATL flight and heard a pax in C telling the FA (she was actually the Purser) that since he was a Premier he was entitled to his first choice of dinner entrees. The FA did an amazing job at keeping her cool despite this guy repeatedly telling her that he was going to "write her up" and kept requesting a complaint form "because I have used them before." She told him that he could use the website to send in his complaint.

A little while later, while walking up to use the lav, I asked her if she was OK - a pilot headed to the rest seat joined the conversation. The FA first thanked me for the chocolate (I always bring a box) and told her that I bring the candies as a thank you to the crew for the hard work that they do and because I know that there are pax that don't always treat them right. Even when a pax is right, there is a right way to deal with situations.

The FA remained rattled the whole flight, but continued to deliver excellent service. I have already sent a note in to commend her handling of the situation. ^
Old Jan 10, 2010, 5:52 am

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Kudos to you for making a bad situation better, and of course the FA for not losing her cool.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 6:35 am

Programs: Won Kay
Originally Posted by meducate
The FA remained rattled the whole flight, but continued to deliver excellent service. I have already sent a note in to commend her handling of the situation. ^
FA's certainly have difficult jobs, and the one you cite is certainly entitled to some recognition for handling this situation.

That said, if an FA is going to get "rattled" because she has to deal with a self-important passenger over meal selection, then she probably should find another line of work.

Oh, and nice job with the chocolates. It never occurred to me to bring a gift to someone to do their job when I was paying thousands of dollars for the service. I assume you know these FAs from many flights with them? Or is this just in the same vein as the tip jar phenomenon?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 6:53 am

Programs: UA 1P, AA, Hilton Honors
The FA did an amazing job at keeping her cool despite this guy repeatedly telling her that he was going to "write her up" and kept requesting a complaint form "because I have used them before."
Sounds like he fills out 'comment cards' at Burger King.

BTW, it was very good of you to write UA.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:07 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
I bore witness (partially, anyway) to yet another self-entitled chucklehead berating a FA for reasons out of her control.

I was in F on a TATL flight and heard a pax in C telling the FA (she was actually the Purser) that since he was a Premier he was entitled to his first choice of dinner entrees. The FA did an amazing job at keeping her cool despite this guy repeatedly telling her that he was going to "write her up" and kept requesting a complaint form "because I have used them before." She told him that he could use the website to send in his complaint.

A little while later, while walking up to use the lav, I asked her if she was OK - a pilot headed to the rest seat joined the conversation. The FA first thanked me for the chocolate (I always bring a box) and told her that I bring the candies as a thank you to the crew for the hard work that they do and because I know that there are pax that don't always treat them right. Even when a pax is right, there is a right way to deal with situations.
I think it is great that you would bring a treat for the crew. However, as a person that has worked in public transit for over 30 years I will say I would never ever eat anything that a passenger gave me, I was always polite and thanked them for the gift. There are a lot of nuts and crazies out there and many of them fly also, you never know what might me inside of the food that they would bring to you. Would be a disaster if the crew became ill after eating something that a passenger had given to them as a gift. I would hope that the crew would refrain from eating anything a passenger brought to them until at least the flight was over and they were off the job.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 7:49 am

Programs: mileage plus, skymiles, marriot silver, starwood plat, priorty club, hilton honors
If it's sealed in a box there is absolutely no issue with eating the candy, or lollypops, in some cases. That kind gesture is ALWAYS appreciated. I brought bag of candy to the crew when I went to Dubai in October and they loved it!^

I am going on a trip tuesday (paid tickets on Continental) and plan to bring something for the front line employees, to show my appreciation and 'pay it forward'.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:16 am

Programs: Mileage Plus, Skymiles, EleVAte founding member, SPG
Originally Posted by Brasila
Wow....do you bear gifts to your local police, firemen, postal worker, dry cleaner, grocery clerk, educators and all the other who work hard and are not appreciated. I am not sure I buy your motive for giving chocolates.
So what do you do, run a cost/benefit analysis before giving a gift? I flew on Xmas Eve and thought giving the crew a box of chocolate covered nuts would be a nice touch. For $7, it wasn't a big deal and I know they all appreciated it.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Wow....do you bear gifts to your local police, firemen, postal worker, dry cleaner, grocery clerk, educators and all the other who work hard and are not appreciated. I am not sure I buy your motive for giving chocolates.
Certainly, no one is required or even expected to give a gift to an FA. But why exactly does that mean that someone can't? If someone wants to give a gift, good for them. If you don't, then don't. I'm not sure why someone has to have "a motive."
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:33 am

Programs: DL Silver Medallion
There are several folks on the boards here that regularly bring "gifts" to the crews onboard their flights. Its a nice gesture to be certain regardless of the motive (if there even is one besides gratitude). Why must one be so skeptical of kindness?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:38 am
Suspended

I cant believe anyone would take gifts for staff doing their job normally, seems you expect bad service and feel grateful for normal service, very strange as said above OR is this just in the same vein as the tip jar phenomenon?
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:45 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM. DL Plat, AS MVP
Deleted because it was not my nicest of posts!

Last edited by zrs70; Jan 10, 2010 at 6:02 pm
Old Jan 10, 2010, 8:47 am

Programs: AA, CO, EVA, UA, Hyatt PLT, SPG
There's 2 ways to look at it.

1. She stayed composed though a difficult passenger and thus should be commended/rewarded/patted on the back/whatever.

2. She was just doing her duty/job and that in service industries, difficult people happen.

I probably stand somewhere in the middle of the 2. Yes difficult people happen but I'm sure that if she's a vet, she's seen that thousands of times.

To the post 3 posts above mine, sometimes that can show or come off as somehow you (the person bringing a gift) is better than another passenger who does not.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 9:02 am
Suspended

Programs: Count Your Blessings
I know that many FA's would have much more appreciated your chiming in to tell unruly pax to chill out than they would have receiving chocolates.

Many FA's don't care for - and in fact even regard in disdain or suspicion - receiving chocolates and such as they consider it patronizing, least of all, "watch out for this pax - s/he is angling for something," to say nothing of the food safety.

I personally view it as gratuitous and downright dorkish, especially when you've more than likely met the FA for the first (and possibly) last time in your and their lives.
Old Jan 10, 2010, 9:24 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott lifetime Plt, UA 1MM
Originally Posted by roadkit
Oh, and nice job with the chocolates. It never occurred to me to bring a gift to someone to do their job when I was paying thousands of dollars for the service.
Wow... nice dose of sarcasm. You're sure your not the guy demanding his meal choice first because he is 2P?

Regardless, I always bring a box of Frangos or similar on my international flights, whether in C (thousands of dollars) or in Y (hundreds of dollars). I find a small dose of unexpected and unsolicited kindness goes a long way in making a long flight bearable. It has always been received and quickly consumed with thanks.

The fact that I will probably never see this person again is meaningless (along with the argument), as the gesture is not meant to curry favor but to show appreciation for a long, difficult and mostly thankless job.

Last edited by JONEZY00; Jan 10, 2010 at 9:34 am
Old Jan 10, 2010, 9:32 am

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Originally Posted by UAL4life
Kudos to you for making a bad situation better, and of course the FA for not losing her cool.
Kudos to you both^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.