Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

DCA-ORD-YVR + return - where do I clear Customs?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:10 pm
Original Poster

I've searched the site and I think I've figured it out, but I would love to have some confirmation or correction just to be safe before I book flights with short layovers in ORD.

I'm on UA metal from DCA-ORD-YVR. I clear Canadian customs when I land in YVR, right? Nothing to do in ORD except catch my next flight, even if I have checked luggage?

On the return, I clear U.S. customs in YVR, right? Again, nothing to do in ORD except catch my next flight, even if I have checked luggage?

Thanks.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 2MM; AS MVP Gold 75K
Correct.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:18 pm

Correct. But beware current restrictions on carry-on for Canada->US flights when you return. See the Air Canada forum for a lengthy thread on it, or see the CATSA web page for ... umm... guidance (if you can call it that) -- http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/home.as...ccueil&lang=en.

You will not face any strange restrictions ORD-YVR, only YVR-ORD.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:50 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC E, *G x2, BMI Silver, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Diamond, PC Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by 28isGreat
Correct. But beware current restrictions on carry-on for Canada->US flights when you return. See the Air Canada forum for a lengthy thread on it, or see the CATSA web page for ... umm... guidance (if you can call it that) -- http://www.catsa-acsta.gc.ca/home.as...ccueil&lang=en.

You will not face any strange restrictions ORD-YVR, only YVR-ORD.
The best info is actually on the UA site... where they specifically spell out that you can bring...
*A laptop computer may be transported in a basic laptop bag containing only computer accessories and one or two thin file folders.
unlike the CATSA site, or the Air Canada site for that matter...

d.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 2:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Yes, but the CATSA site has a FAQ with a ton of contradictory information...just to add some more confusion. :-)
Old Jan 8, 2010, 3:14 pm
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by footprints
Yes, but the CATSA site has a FAQ with a ton of contradictory information...just to add some more confusion. :-)
Confusion is Canada's middle name, should we or shouldn't we, well maybe, but not sure, oh, I don't know for certain, on and on and on
Old Jan 8, 2010, 5:20 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2.7MM
Your informed guess is correct. You do customs/immigration both ways in YVR.

A couple of points:

-Late morning IM/customs lines in YVR can be very long due to Asian flight arrivals.
-Clearing US IM/customs on the return can also take a long time due to the US not having enough lines open but like me, YMMV
-Finally note that twice at YVR when I told the IM officer that my final destination was the Yukon (where I go often for work) I was pulled aside for extra questioning/screening. The second time I was very rudely told that 'no one goes to the Yukon' and made to wait several hours. This incident made the Canadian press. So I always now carry full details of my work destination to show the officer, but again, YMMV.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.