Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

744 replacing 777 on International Routes starting Spring 2010

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

744 replacing 777 on International Routes starting Spring 2010

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2010, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Along with the new F, C and Y updates, I think a good number of the 777s are due for a heavy check and paint...a few 777s have recently been repainted, notably since the 747 was subbing on ORD-HNL and IAD-NRT-PEK.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:49 pm

Programs: UA 1KMMGS, EK Skywards Silver, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by jofegan
On a similar harangue, will UA ever switch to 777 on the LAX/SFO --> SYD routes? I had thought that the distance was too great for a 777 to cover, but it seems that DL and V Australia are getting by flying them between the two countries OK.

-j
Different 777s - UA doesn't have the extra long range variety that have come out in the last couple years
Old Jan 9, 2010, 12:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*G, AA Emerald, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt globalist
On a similar harangue, will UA ever switch to 777 on the LAX/SFO --> SYD routes? I had thought that the distance was too great for a 777 to cover, but it seems that DL and V Australia are getting by flying them between the two countries OK.

-j
No it won't, if UA is going to do it, they would have done it long time ago.

The distance was not too great to cover, if you around UA long enough, UA had used 777 to fly the even longer ORD-HKG for a short time.

DL use 777-200LR, and VA use 777-300ER, whereas UA use 777-200ER.

200LR and 300ER can do it without significant weight restrictions, but 200ER does. They are not going to use a plane type where it cannot make the most money.
Old Jan 9, 2010, 1:44 am

Originally Posted by why fly
and I bet Delta will end SYD just like they ran from PVG.
DL never ran away from PVG -- it operates into PVG daily from both DTW and PVG; now that DL's acquired NW, it has more attractive options beyond ATL. And with Delta/Virgin Blue's proposed joint venture likely getting approved, SYD's likely to be around for awhile.

That said, I do agree that demand from US carriers for additional services into China looks to have cooled/lost its appeal for now...
Old Jan 9, 2010, 6:41 am

Programs: VA Gold, UA, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Ambassador

-j
Earlier last year (2009), UA had toyed with the idea of replacing SYD/LAX/SFO with 777s when the GFC started making an impact on travel. If you search here, you will find a thread about it. There was talk that UA would have to make stopovers in HNL etc or weight restrict if using the 777s. However it seemed the idea was only floated for a short time, and it wasnt long before we had confirmation that the newly config 744s would stay on the route. I was happy about that as I had an already upgraded itin and switching it out to 777 would mean the old cradle seats in C .

But I agree that if you are flying Y with no chance of an upgrade to the new lie-flats, the 777 is a much better choice over 744.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.