FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Let's Eat! 2010 Domestic First and Business Class (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1034033-lets-eat-2010-domestic-first-business-class.html)

warreng24 Dec 31, 2009 6:21 pm

Let's Eat! 2010 Domestic First and Business Class

We've changed the Let's Eat Threads for 2010! See this thread for more information.

International First and Business Class
Domestic Business & First Class (they are so similar)
International & Domestic Economy Class
This thread should have the Domestic First and Business Class meal information.

Don't forget to post the date and route information along with the meal information! :)

For an awesome description of United's First and Business Class Breakfast, Lunch, Dinner, and Snack meals, BlissWorld has created this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...-pictures.html

For the curious folks:
With that, Let's Eat 2010!

warreng24 Dec 31, 2009 6:22 pm

With a nod to SEA_Tigger for a nice compilation:

The times shown here are NOT the official meal times published by United (there aren't any official ones). They reflect the in-flight experience of fellow FT'ers.

Generally speaking, domestic flights with food service in First Class can be broken down into these types:
  1. p.s. flights
  2. Mainline & Business1 flights over 2.5 hours
  3. Business1 flights under 2.5 hours
  4. Non-Business1 flights under 2.5 hours
  5. ExPlus flights

1) P.S. flights: Passengers in First Class can expect a meal to be served for all non-redeye flights. Redeye flights can expect a one-choice warm snack (ie wrap).

2) Domestic mainline & Business1 flights over 2.5 hours: Passengers in First Class can expect meals according to the following scheduled flight departure times:
  • 0500 - 1000 Breakfast
  • 1001 - 1600 Lunch
  • 1601 - 1930 Dinner
  • 1931 - 0459 Snack Plate (ie Fruit, Cheese, and Deli Meat)
Transcontinental red-eye flights will have a one-choice, warm snack (ie wrap).

3) Business1 flights under 2.5 hours: Passengers in First Class can expect meals according to the following scheduled flight departure times:
  • 0500 - 1000 Fruit, Cheese, and Yogurt Breakfast
  • 1100 - 1930 Snack Plate Meal (ie Fruit, Cheese, and Deli Meat)
  • 1931 - 0459 No Meal Service (ie "Gold Bag" of pre-packaged mixed nuts only)

Note, no meal is served on the following Business1 flights:
ORD-MSP
MSP-ORD
These flights will be served the "gold bag" of pre-packaged mixed nuts.

4) First Class passengers on United Airlines domestic flights other then p.s. and Business1 with durations under 2.5 hours in length will receive the "gold bag" of pre-packaged mixed nuts.

5) United Express First Class passengers on flights over 759 miles (approximately 2 hours in length) will receive:
  • 0500 - 1930 ChopiceMenu SnackBox (usually no choice given, SnackBox type varies by flight)
  • 1931 - 0459 No Meal Service (ie "Gold Bag" of pre-packaged mixed nuts only)

Generally speaking, domestic flights with food service in Business Class can be broken down into these types:
  1. p.s. flights
  2. Mainline flights over 2.5 hours
  3. Mainline flights under 2.5 hours

1) P.S. flights: Passengers in Business Class can expect a meal to be served for all non-redeye flights. Redeye flights can expect a one-choice warm snack (ie wrap).

2) Domestic mainline flights over 2.5 hours: Passengers in Business Class can expect a single-choice meal according to the following scheduled flight departure times:
  • 0500 - 1000 Breakfast (warm)
  • 1001 - 1600 Lunch (warm)
  • 1601 - 2000 Dinner (warm)
  • 2001 - 0459 Cold Snack Plate (ie Fruit, Cheese, and Deli Meat)
Transcontinental red-eye flights will have a one-choice, warm snack (ie wrap).

3) Domestic mainline flights under 2.5 hours: Passengers in Business Class will receive the "gold bag" of pre-packaged mixed nuts.

With a nod to rch4u, here's a method to check what First or BusinessClass meal code your flight is tagged with. Unfortunately this only works if the flight is also sold as a codeshare. You can also modify rch4u's instructions to select Business class instead of First class.

Originally Posted by rch4u (Post 8053023)
The best trick I have found is to do an ITA search for F and find the US codeshare on UA metal. Somehow, that displays meal information correctly.

For example, F ORD-LGA (UA 678)*:

united.com

Fare basis code:
QUAUP
Booking class: A
First
733 Award miles
No Meal Service

UA ITA

United Airlines Flight UA678 on an Airbus A320 (jet) in first class
Departs Chicago, IL (ORD) Fri, Aug 3 11:05a 2 hrs 13 min
Arrives New York, NY (LGA) 2:18p

US UA Codeshare ITA

US Airways Flight US6756 on an Airbus A320 (jet) in first class
(operated by United Airlines as Flight UA678)
(lunch)
Departs Chicago, IL (ORD) Fri, Aug 3 11:05a 2 hrs 13 min
Arrives New York, NY (LGA) 2:18p

* The "trick" does not work for ORD-DCA because there is no UA/US codeshare on the route.

warreng24 Dec 31, 2009 6:24 pm

Indexed to Post #149

First Class:
DEN-LAX, DEN-LAX
SFO-DEN, SFO-DEN
DEN-IAD
SFO-EWR
ORD-BOS
TPA-DEN
ORD-PDX
DEN-SNA
SEA-ORD, ORD-SEA, SEA-ORD
IAH-ORD
PHL-LAX
LAX-PIT
LAS-IAD, LAS-IAD
BWI-ORD
ORD-SFO, SFO-ORD, ORD-SFO, SFO-ORD
SFO-BOS
DCA-ORD
DEN-GEG
ORD-MIA
SAN-IAD
PHL-DEN
ORD-MCO
HNL-(Mainland), HNL-ORD, HNL-DEN, DEN-HNL
MIA-IAD
SFO-IAD
IAD-PDX
SEA-IAD

Business Class:
SFO-ORD, ORD-SFO
JFK-SFO, SFO-JFK, JFK-SFO
ORD-DEN

Special Meals:
Mid-Con HNML

pallensf Jan 1, 2010 12:31 pm

my first question for 2010...:=)

flying SFO-ORD in new business (767) next Thursday, 8 something in the morning flight. It's listed as breakfast...would you order the low fat meal option in hopes of getting that chicken breast/orzo meal, or just take the gamble for the fruit plate/omelet choice?

hugs and mahalo,

Patrick ;)

ORDnHKG Jan 1, 2010 1:01 pm

Originally Posted by pallensf (Post 13092389)
my first question for 2010...:=)

flying SFO-ORD in new business (767) next Thursday, 8 something in the morning flight. It's listed as breakfast...would you order the low fat meal option in hopes of getting that chicken breast/orzo meal, or just take the gamble for the fruit plate/omelet choice?

hugs and mahalo,

Patrick ;)

SFO-ORD 3 class planes in C is served one choice, breakfast is omelet.

warreng24 Jan 1, 2010 2:44 pm

Originally Posted by pallensf (Post 13092389)
would you order the low fat meal option in hopes of getting that chicken breast/orzo meal, or just take the gamble for the fruit plate/omelet choice?

I'd roll the dice on this one. Order a special meal. Here's my logic. Since there's only one choice for breakfast in C on that route (omelet), some people will reject it. Therefore, worst case is that you dislike the special meal, and take one of the leftover omelets.

Kurt Jan 1, 2010 2:51 pm

Flight/Route: UA988/DEN-LAX
Aircraft/Tail/Seat: 777-200/N209UA/2A
Departure Time/Duration: 8:20 a.m./2:31
Meal: Breakfast

OK, let's get the ball rolling for twenty-ten. These are from the tail of '09 but that thread's dead!

I rebooked from a later flight due to the nasty winter weather in Denver and was pleasantly surprised to go from two-class F (I'd booked the trip using miles) to three-class F and have the change stick. And on a ER model triple seven to boot. An early Christmas present, I guess. :)

http://im1.shutterfly.com/media/47a0...D720/ry%3D480/

We were delayed by a mechanical problem, so the crew offered drinks and videotapes (I chose "The Proposal" as Sandra Bullock movies are a UA tradition for me :eek:). I asked if sparkling wine was available for sale in Y, which it was, so I had a tasty mimosa. Not a bad way to start the day!

After the repair was signed off upon, and a trip to the deicing pad, we were off. A fruit plate or an "Alouette Omelet" were offered.

The omelet was indeed filled with a mild, white cheese. Two link sausages and red-skinned potatoes sautéed with onions were also presented (the potato/onion mix was quite tasty). Warm croissants/butter/marmalade and a small fruit bowl with red grapes, green and orange melon were also served (the grapes were a bit shriveled but still tasted OK). Service was attentive and we arrived in LAX about an hour late.

Kurt Jan 1, 2010 3:27 pm

Flight/Route: UA482/SFO-DEN
Aircraft/Tail/Seat: 757-200/N529UA/5D
Departure Time/Duration: 7:37 p.m./2:28
Meal: Snack (LFML)

This flight was very lightly loaded (maybe 30 passengers in Y and only 6 in F, of whom two were flight attendants and one a pilot), so I switched to a window seat and enjoyed the attentive service. Pre-takeoff drinks were offered; I chose a Scotch.

After takeoff I switched to the rather ubiquitous Bushman's Gully Shiraz, along with some Premier snack mix (seconds were offered), which are the norm for non-meal flights, instead of hot nuts.

My pre-ordered LFML was present and accounted for; the "regular" snack was a "cheese and crackers" plate that appeared to also have some grapes. Of course, the LFML offers a much nicer nosh.

A grilled, chicken breast was served atop a bed of greens with lots of chopped tomato and onion, plus a lemon wedge that enhanced the flavor nicely. The chicken was tender and moist. Two halves of a pita, Fleischmann's margarine, a small fruit bowl (red grapes, pineapple, green melon, all fresh and sweet) and a package of sugar-free pecan shortbread cookies (which I saved for later) completed the snack. I can recommend the LFML ^

Thirty minutes later, warm, chocolate-chip cookies, milk and after-snack drinks were offered.

I had to drive, so I stuck to the milk. We arrived on-time in 9-degree Denver.

violist Jan 1, 2010 4:33 pm

UA 348 DEN IAD 0845 1404 320

I don't think any fruit plates were loaded.

grapes pineapple rock(-hard) melon

cheese omelet
roast potatoes
some pallid sausage
a piece of ok not too salty ham

croissant or banana nut muffin

ordogg Jan 1, 2010 8:24 pm

how often does UA rotate domestic F/C meal choices? Seems like some offerings, e.g. fruit plate and omelet for breakfast never change ...

warreng24 Jan 1, 2010 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by ordogg (Post 13094379)
how often does UA rotate domestic F/C meal choices? Seems like some offerings, e.g. fruit plate and omelet for breakfast never change ...

The breakfast fruit plate is eternal.

The omelet sometimes get's swapped for "scrambled eggs" (eggs, cheese, diced bell peppers and onions).

The dinner and lunch options seem to rotate at least twice a year (IIRC, there's a spring/summer and a fall/winter menu).

And by rotate, I mean different possible offerings. IIRC we had the chunky tomato or minestrone soup 2009 spring/summer. Then 2009 fall and 2010 winter we got the asparagus or tomato basil soup.

Kurt Jan 2, 2010 7:54 am

As warreng24 noted, the breakfast options don't change much. Sometimes it's an omelet, sometimes it's a frittata, sometimes it's scrambled eggs. The sausage/ham component changes, too, and the fruit. But I like the UA breakfast (better than Denny's, even ;); it's a nice amount of food and the quality is pretty high.

That LFML I had the other night is slightly different; it used to be cous-cous instead of tomato/onion underneath the chicken, and the pita has replaced the small, pre-wrapped Rubschlager roll (the pita is wrapped in foil, so asking the FA to heat it up would not be unreasonable). And the pecan-shortbread cookies have taken the place of the Amoy (sp?) almond cookies so familiar to Transpacific Y flyers.

And, they finally changed out the hateful quinoa and tomato salad with a small, green salad on short-haul lunch and dinner flights.

SEA1K4EVR Jan 2, 2010 8:41 am

I have NEVER seen anything but the Alouette omelet served ex-SEA on breakfast flights. I'm so sick of it that a couple months ago I wrote 1K Voice letting them know it's time for some kind of change. I love eggs and I'm fine with them sticking with an egg dish but they could at least rotate the preparation/type of cheese! It's been many years of the same old same old. Alouette has a slimy texture.

My email to them was simply meant to be a comment and I did not expect or ask for anything in return..but they sent me a $100 e-voucher. I would have gladly traded it for some cheddar or pepper jack in my future omelets.

glenny84 Jan 4, 2010 2:09 am

I'll be doing PS C on the breakfast flight from SFO-JFK. Should I expect anything to eat pre-arrival? What kind of breakfast options will I be looking at?

nevansm Jan 4, 2010 7:20 am

I'll be doing the following this weekend

BWI-ORD - 473 - 17:54-19:10 - Snack specified - Requested LFML
ORD-SEA - 117 - 20:16-22:52 - Snack specified - Requested LFML
SEA-DEN - 356 - 14:52-18:30 - Snack specified - Requested LFML
DEN-BWI - 168 - 19:21-00:45 - Dinner Specified - Requested LFML

I've read the parameters from above, but I thought I'd ask....Should I expect a deviation from any of the "snacks" and remove my request on any of those?

What should I expect from the dinner course DEN-BWI? Interested to see if the menu changed yet.