Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Let's Eat! 2010 Domestic First and Business Class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Let's Eat! 2010 Domestic First and Business Class

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4, 2010, 11:48 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Kurt
Flight/Route: UA482/SFO-DEN
Aircraft/Tail/Seat: A-320/N449UA/3C
Departure Time/Duration: 7:15 p.m./2:34
Meal: Dinner

The super-efficient purser worked the full F cabin like a machine (by himself, and still found time to help out in Y); drinks and hot nuts (a Glenlivet with an automatic extra bottle: nice) were quickly served.

Same choice as the week before: steak salad or tortellini. I tried the pasta this time, which was maybe a bit less tasty than the salad, but still good in a comfort-food sort of way.

The cheese-filled tortellini was served in a red sauce, with a sprinkling of Parmesan on top; a sourdough roll/butter and another slice of carrot cake. The Red Tree cab was served in tumblers. Before landing, personally-written cards from the captain were distributed; a very nice touch.
Do you remember the Purser and Captain's name.... I swear I had the exact same flight crew, meal, everything a few weeks back. Hehe. I think Dale was the Purser's name and Rice was the FO's last name

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 4, 2010 at 1:45 pm Reason: images
Old Mar 4, 2010, 3:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*Lifetime GS, Hyatt* Lifetime Globalist
Yes you do (I guess the new 12-megapixel camera reveals ALL); I was a bit taken aback, but it didn't really wreck the taste. I have to bite my tongue when I see people putting ice in their red wine!
Is the camera DSLR or Point&Shoot?

Ice in the red wine also drives me crazy!!! what a waste of wine....even for the wine UA serves.

I was in a IFL lounge once, and saw a man pouring red wine for his traveling companion.....he insisted that putting ice into Cabernet Sauvignon (in a cocktail glass) would make the wine taste better. His companion did not any better, and took a sip and commented that the wine was delicious but tasted a little strong with ice, and then swallowed the entire glass of wine as if it was hard liquior.

You should have seen the faces of the people (including me and IFL attendent) watching the whole 'event" unravel before their eyes.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 4:51 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Originally Posted by UA_Flyer
Is the camera DSLR or Point&Shoot?
It's a Canon PowerShot SD780 - black and very inconspicuous. I sort of care when my seatmate notices my geekiness at taking food pictures, but not enough to stop doing it.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's a Canon PowerShot SD780 - black and very inconspicuous. I sort of care when my seatmate notices my geekiness at taking food pictures, but not enough to stop doing it.
I also cared about what my seatmate might think of me when I first started taking photos on board. Now I am a little thick skinned, but I do carry an iPhone that surprisingly take fairly decent photos. Sometimes I pretend working on my iPhone when I am actually taking photos.....especially at the lounges.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 6:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
I care more about what the FAs might think (safety concern, threat, terrorist, etc... ) than what my seatmate thinks.

Still, the only time I've been told to put my camera away was in Mother Russia at VKO.

I'm used to always having my camera next to me and have recorded every single meal the last three years. Unfortunately, sometimes I am forgetful.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 7:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by UAPremierGuy
Last I heard, the ex-Business1 Flights are getting a fruit or deli plate now (cold) in lieu of a meal.
Ouch not what i wanted to hear.....Even the Dinner time flights get this now?
Old Mar 4, 2010, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
I care more about what the FAs might think (safety concern, threat, terrorist, etc... ) than what my seatmate thinks.

Still, the only time I've been told to put my camera away was in Mother Russia at VKO.

I'm used to always having my camera next to me and have recorded every single meal the last three years. Unfortunately, sometimes I am forgetful.

I am glad you had a happy ending. I lost three cameras on UA in the last two years. Each time, I realized I did not have the camera with me at the gate area right after deplaning. I was not allowed to go back to the plane (for security reasons) at SFO, DCA and LHR. In all three cases, my cameras were never found. You are lucky, you had a good pilot, Canadian custom and UA-YVR all are honest people. To this day I still could not understand why three minutes after leaving the planes, my cameras were gone. In each case, I had the small cameras in the seatback pocket, so the other passengers leaving the planes could not possibly see them on their way out of the planes.
Old Mar 4, 2010, 9:34 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
Originally Posted by nevansm
Do you remember the Purser and Captain's name.... I swear I had the exact same flight crew, meal, everything a few weeks back. Hehe. I think Dale was the Purser's name and Rice was the FO's last name
I just checked; the first officer's (his card, not the captain's as stated) name was Scott (First Officer - A320/319 - Denver-based). It's always a nice treat to get a card. The purser was a 50-ish gentleman with glasses and white/gray hair; I did not catch his name.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Mar 4, 2010 at 9:43 pm Reason: per policy
Old Mar 5, 2010, 11:27 am

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
ORD-SFO
3/4
UA 137
Boeing 777, Business, Lunch

PDB:
Orange Juice or Water

Post-Take Off:
Drink of choice along with warm nuts (actually I think the ovens overheated as the nut mix was scalding hot)

Lunch:
Teriyaki Chicken salad. Chicken was served warm, along with a choice of hot rolls. FA's asked people if they would like it with our without the Chicken in case anyone was a vegetarian. First had a choice between a salad and the typical lunch ham sandwich.

After Lunch:
Smaller cookie with milk was served.

Last edited by mlx52; Mar 5, 2010 at 11:36 am
Old Mar 7, 2010, 1:24 am

Programs: UA S
UA409 LGA-DEN 3/6
pdb of oj/water.

No hot towels, but then hot nuts and choice of drinks.
Dinner choices were either cheese pasta or chicken. I went with the chicken, which had some sort of tomato sauce on it and came with what appeared to be couscous and green beans. Not fantastic, but certainly decent enough. Came on a single tray with side salad, veggie/fruit plate, and lemon cake. Not sure if there was a cookie service after since I was sleeping.
Overall, pretty good service from this crew.

UA467 DEN-SJC 3/6
pdg of oj/water.
This should have been a fruit/cheese plate flight, but nothing was catered. FA got snackboxes for people who wanted them.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 2:03 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
UA807 STL-SFO (A319) 3/7

PDB: purser was asking "would you like something to drink before we depart?" and honoring all requests.
Warm nuts.
Scalding hot towels.
Dinner choices were the cold beef salad, the hot chicken sandwich, and the cheese tortellini. I had the tortellini, which looked almost exactly like it did the photo by Kurt a few posts back.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 2:08 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Originally Posted by trainman74
UA807 STL-SFO (A319) 3/7

PDB: purser was asking "would you like something to drink before we depart?" and honoring all requests.
Warm nuts.
Scalding hot towels.
Dinner choices were the cold beef salad, the hot chicken sandwich, and the cheese tortellini. I had the tortellini, which looked almost exactly like it did the photo by Kurt a few posts back.
3 entrees on a domestic midcon? a catering error or enhancement?
Old Mar 7, 2010, 2:35 pm

Programs: Ozark Go-Getters Gold, Statler Star Silver, others from a variety of alternate timelines
Originally Posted by ordogg
3 entrees on a domestic midcon? a catering error or enhancement?
My guess is catering error. I think the chicken sandwich is technically supposed to be a lunch entree. The food for this flight appears to be loaded in SFO in the late morning -- the aircraft makes a quick SFO-STL-SFO turn -- so it's not a surprise they might get confused about what meals to load.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 3:59 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
Originally Posted by whakojacko
UA467 DEN-SJC 3/6
pdg of oj/water.
This should have been a fruit/cheese plate flight, but nothing was catered. FA got snackboxes for people who wanted them.
No - the short-haul snack cut-off time is 9 PM. Your flight departed at 9:09.
Old Mar 7, 2010, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA S
Originally Posted by rch4u
No - the short-haul snack cut-off time is 9 PM. Your flight departed at 9:09.
ah- didn't know that. Not really a big deal either way on a flight of that length

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.