Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

UA flight into LAX - landing gear problems?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 6, 2003, 8:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN A-List Pref, MR LT Plat, SPG LT Gold

Just heard on Detroit TV: a UA flight arriving into LAX is having landing gear problems...emergency crews are awaiting the arrival of this aircraft. This sounds serious...can anyone corroborate this story?
Old Jan 6, 2003, 8:30 pm

Im in LAX, sort of will turn on the tv

------------------
Brian.... Calling all 1 K's...please visit www.1kflyers.com
Old Jan 6, 2003, 8:31 pm

nothing on our news or special news reports, did they say what flt or where it was coming from...
Old Jan 6, 2003, 8:34 pm

Programs: AA, AC
UA16 landed safely at LAX. B777.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 8:43 pm

Programs: AA PLT->GLD|HH Gold|SPG PLT->GOLD|HGP Gold|MR Silver
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by After Burner:
UA16 landed safely at LAX. B777.</font>
If the "late-breaking" story is in fact related to UA16, then just a couple clarifications.

UA16, a B767-200 from LAX-JFK, scheduled to depart at 4PM, did depart at 4:23 PM. It returned to LAX almost immediately, circling around roughly over the inland empire before landing. It is now scheduled to depart 5 hours late at 9 PM, to arrive at 5:07 am in New York.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 8:48 pm

Programs: AA, AC
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by dmfriedman:
If the "late-breaking" story is in fact related to UA16, then just a couple clarifications.

UA16, a B767-200 from LAX-JFK, scheduled to depart at 4PM, did depart at 4:23 PM. It returned to LAX almost immediately, circling around roughly over the inland empire before landing. It is now scheduled to depart 5 hours late at 9 PM, to arrive at 5:07 am in New York.
</font>
It was just reported on Fox news, Miami. They had live coverage of the a/c taxiing. They did say the flight was LAX-NY and had to return to LAX. They definitely said it was a 777.

They reported that it was scheduled to arrive at JFK at 5:30am. So obviously they didn't report accurate information.

Old Jan 6, 2003, 9:00 pm

It's a 762 not a 777.
Old Jan 6, 2003, 9:57 pm

From the horse's mouth:

CHICAGO, Jan. 6 /PRNewswire/ -- United Airlines has confirmed one of its flights had an emergency landing at Los Angeles International airport after the flight crew reported a problem with one of the aircraft's 10 tires. The flight landed safely and without incident at 7:36pm PST.
UA 16, a 767-200, carrying 75 passengers and 11 crew members, originated in Los Angeles and was bound for John F. Kennedy International Airport in New York. The flight departed Los Angeles at 4:00pm PST and was scheduled to arrive in New York at 12:04am EST.

United is planning to reaccomodate the passengers on another aircraft with a scheduled departure time of 9:00pm PST with an estimated arrival time in New York of 5:37am EST.

Worldwide Communications:
Media Relations Office:
Evenings/Weekends: 847.700.4088

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source: United Airlines
Old Jan 7, 2003, 5:30 am

Programs: UA 1K 25 years/2MM, Honors LT Diamond, AVIS & Hertz Prez Club
This is once again proof that you cannot believe what you hear in the media. At so many "incidents" I hear incorrect aircraft types, flight numbers and other related information. When the Alaska 261 entered the Pacific Ocean, it was for the longest time reported as a 737 or an MD 80, depending on the news source. So pervasive was this misinformation that one San Francisco station even rushed to SFO and asked an airport spokesman if this wasn't another example of a defective rudder on a 737 that brought the plane down. This within 1 hour of the incident.

American's A300 over NY was at one time reported as a 767.

Now UA16, reported as a 777! Come on - all this is EASILY verified through a number of online sources, regardless of carrier.

When you hear something in the future, check your info, as your "NEWS" organizations would rather be first on the air than first in quality and reputation.
Old Jan 7, 2003, 5:33 am

Programs: Lots
[Wishful]Well I think this clearly means they need to switch those horrid LAX-JFK 762's to 777's!!![/Wishful]
Old Jan 7, 2003, 6:11 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by SFO 1K:
This is once again proof that you cannot believe what you hear in the media. </font>
I recall that initial news reports on UA93 were calling it a 747 . . .

Old Jan 7, 2003, 6:57 am

Programs: UA 1k MM, AA EXP MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First (oh boy)
&lt;rant&gt;
what is the sick fascination with a disaster in the making? if it is really an emergency, it will make the evening news or morning paper (having been established/resolved by then).

But this rush to "find out" and be a member of the casualty vampire crew has always disturbed me about our society - from the inevitable traffic jams that occur WHENEVER a car is pulled over by the side of the freeway with an emergency vehicle (better still if lights are flashing and there's a little smoke), to the constant replaying of death and destruction on our evening news.

Reminds me of an old George Carlin joke - the one where the guy pulls up beside an accident and asks the highway patrolman to pull the dead body closer because his wife had never seen one before.

Anyone else care to join me in the new year's resolution to NOT look at the accidents on the side of the road but stare straight ahead and get the traffic moving that much faster? Oh, and bonus points if you lay in the horn if the person in front of you turns their head to look and taps their brakes at the same time.

&lt;/rant&gt;
Old Jan 7, 2003, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1MM, WN A-List Pref, MR LT Plat, SPG LT Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by corbetti:
&lt;rant&gt;
what is the sick fascination with a disaster in the making? if it is really an emergency, it will make the evening news or morning paper (having been established/resolved by then).

But this rush to "find out" and be a member of the casualty vampire crew has always disturbed me about our society...
</font>
I resent your characterization of my interest as "sick fascination". Please take a Valium, and direct your rants elsewhere.

Old Jan 7, 2003, 9:43 pm

Programs: UA 1k MM, AA EXP MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Avis First (oh boy)
"I resent your characterization of my interest as "sick fascination". Please take a Valium, and direct your rants elsewhere."

This being a free country, you are entitled to your right to resent, as I am entitled to my right to rant. Get over it, or move to Iraq.
Old Jan 7, 2003, 9:53 pm
FOH

Programs: DL GM, UA nobody, Marriott Gold
Corbetti, have seen the police chases (lots of them) carried live on TV in Los Angeles? Occasionally CNN will pick one up too. Ridiculous.

I'll chalk this one up to it being LA for now. No offense intended to normal Californians.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.