Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by andrewk829
I am a big fan of the in-flight map and will be extremely annoyed if it stays inoperable. People with good geographic literacy can identify their position by looking out the window at highways, rivers, and cities . . . and those without good geographic literacy can bring an atlas aboard to do the same.
I love the Airshow too -- on long-haul flights it's the only thing that keeps me sane. But turning it off doesn't do anything. There's a map in every airline magazine. That and a wristwatch serve the same purpose. This is complete insanity.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:48 am

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by AMRivlin

Over reaction and UA should have said HELL NO.
Right, because UA has a legal right to say "no" to the agencies that regulate it. It is called a regulated industry, not because the industry can make up their own minds, but because airlines have no choice in what rules to follow.

Last edited by l etoile; Dec 27, 2009 at 10:10 pm Reason: Deleted off-topic portion of post
Old Dec 27, 2009, 9:52 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by taipeipeter
Actually, if you check around other forums, many airlines are turning off IFE--Qantas for one.
SQ also made an announcement that all US-bound flights would have no IFE.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:16 am
Moderator, Trip Reports

Programs: UA GS-2MM, Marriott Ambassador
Just flew from YVR to SFO on the 6.08am departure this morning. Apart from no check-in agent for First/Bus/1K/GS for at least 15-mins, and the whole security screening process being an absolute joke, we boarded on-time, pushed back perhaps 10-mins late and both channel 9 and onboard entertainment was working.

I know most of us wouldnt really deem Canada to the US as truly international, it gave me some hope that UA will see the light at the end of the tunnel.

The whole check-in process was painfully slow - with the Canadian equivalent of the TSA patting down each and every person (including my 6 year old and 9 year old), and then hand searching EVERY persons carry-on. You virtually walk thru the metal detector naked, while some guy legally gets away with feeling you up.

It makes me really consider if travel is absolutely necessary, and I love travelling. I have a trip to JFK from SIN early Jan and I am honestly thinking about cancelling the whole thiing, if this is what we now have to endure.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
Exception to the rule or has common sense prevailed?
Re: IFE, it appears from the limited examples that on the 777s (which are still due in for re-configuration), the system is different and it appears that you can turn off Airshow and still retain other IFE functions. Good.

However, from what people have been reporting, it seems that the new configuration IFE by Panasonic doesn't seem to allow that, which may be causing the total shutdown of IFE on the 747s and 767s, as it would appear. I hope UA and Panasonic find a quick way to fix that.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:36 am

Programs: *Gold / HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by UncleJed
Where did you see that? SQ only announced new security measures in place on their website but nothing specific to no IFE.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:45 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by UncleJed
Actually the SQ directive per the TSA is in the last hour...

- all passengers must be seated
- no blankets
- no inflight entertainment
- no touching of hand carry on bags
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kluau88
Actually the SQ directive per the TSA is in the last hour...

- all passengers must be seated
- no blankets
- no inflight entertainment
- no touching of hand carry on bags
Still doesn't make sense - I thought the TSA directive wasn't "no IFE" it was just no communication of aircraft location through all means.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:51 am

Programs: UA MM
So regarding no blankets (blankets picked up), I always bring my own instead, although I guess that could be a personal item like a newspaper, thus can't be out. But how do they differentiate between clothing and held items? Might be time to get one of those insipid snuggies.

Ch 9 can't possibly be a risk. If it gave useful information, then terrorists would have chosen UA for the recent attempt, which they did not. I hope someone who cares at UA or TSA is reading this.

Regarding no reading lights, I recommend a backpacking LED headlamp, they weigh just a few ounces and take up almost no room in your bags. I carry one anyway, so I can use red light in the middle of a dark flight, and could conceivably use it in an evacuation in a dark, powerless aircraft.

Once, years ago, I was writing down positions and times off the skyshow on VS, including writing what time we appeared to cross the Canada/US border, and my wife said, "don't let anyone see you doing that, some idiot will think you're scouting for terrorists." I thought she was being kinda nutty and paranoid. As always in such situations, apparently I was wrong.

+1 to the new rules being completely irrelevant to the recent event.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 10:57 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
Still doesn't make sense - I thought the TSA directive wasn't "no IFE" it was just no communication of aircraft location through all means.
UnitedSkies not 100% sure but this is the directive issued that was issued to the cabin crew. I know you're not on SQ, but hope it doesn't ruin your experience on the way home
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:00 am

Programs: AA, CO, EVA, UA, Hyatt PLT, SPG
Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
I think it was mentioned in previous posts that IFE was tied to the GPS and currently can't be uncoupled. So with GPS going, IFE goes as well.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:02 am

Programs: UA G
Per Chris Elliott (I know, I know...), he says these restrictions will "generally" expire on January 1st. He doesn't say which ones, though...

http://www.elliott.org/blog/two-face...-need-to-know/

On the up side, US is waiving baggage fees due to the new rules. ^
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:34 am

Programs: BD Diamond Club Gold
I had three trips planned from January to April from Europe to the US, flying United and other US Airlines, some parts in F. My plans are cancelled for the time being. Unfortunately one of my trips (FRA to BOS, CHI, NYC) is already booked on a non-refundable ticket. I guess I will take those flights, but after that I will spend my time and money(!) in countries where authorities aren't completely insane.

Too bad, I was especially looking forward to my trip to Puerto Rico in F in March.

I'll write emails now to United Airlines (and the other Airlines I planned to fly on), to explain exactly that.

edit: oh, does someone have an email adress I can send this to (maybe as well for CO and US?)? I don't like these web forms...
Old Dec 27, 2009, 11:49 am

Programs: 1K
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-...orsPicksArea.0

Now there are reports of no electronics allowed on Int'l flights.
Old Dec 27, 2009, 12:46 pm

Programs: ExPlAAt; United 1K
Originally Posted by iflyuaaa
who is the best person to complain to?
What about complaining to UA's security compliance officer? Anyone know what that is? I have in mind someone who is closer to security issues than, perhaps, a customer service director.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.