Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Old Dec 26, 09, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA Stew
I wish I could answer some of these questions. I can't. UAL would nail my ... to a wall for explaining what's going on and expressing my opinion. Regardless of if I try to remain anonymous on this website. Siiiiiiiigh.

Forgot to add that I experienced the new rules in full effect tonight on an int'l flight. Sorry about using the ... word. My bad!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 26, 09 at 11:08 pm Reason: consecutive posts merged
Old Dec 26, 09, 10:58 pm

Programs: Lots
United: The clear leader in removing things people pay C/F tickets for. Keep it up! With the TSA conspiring to destroy air travel, one less airline won't really hurt.
Old Dec 26, 09, 11:04 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Originally Posted by JAaronT View Post
Oh great. I'm on UA1 tomorrow. Should be a nice way to start off a nice vacation.
uh what ife on UA1? the big screen in the middle?
Old Dec 26, 09, 11:05 pm

Programs: UA1K 0.71+Lifetime ,DL,Hyatt Diamond,SPG,HH
These bad guys know the system. It seems crazy to me to hold the passengers hostage. Don't they thing these guys can use time and avg. speed to approx. location. AKA half way to Hawaii.
Old Dec 26, 09, 11:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by Axey View Post
United: The clear leader in removing things people pay C/F tickets for. Keep it up! With the TSA conspiring to destroy air travel, one less airline won't really hurt.
Yea. At least from what I am reading now UA is doing a lot more than AA or DL. AA has had IFE on flights from LHR until the last hour of the flight.
Old Dec 26, 09, 11:06 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Plt, HH Gold
It is interesting (and I admit I could be missing it) but I can't find complaints on other forums of IFE being turned off. Lots of talk about the new security measures, but nothing about IFE. Could this be something UA did on its own?

If the complaints are out there and I'm just missing them, I'm happy to be corrected.
Old Dec 26, 09, 11:08 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by dcmike View Post
It is interesting (and I admit I could be missing it) but I can't find complaints on other forums of IFE being turned off. Lots of talk about the new security measures, but nothing about IFE. Could this be something UA did on its own?

If the complaints are out there and I'm just missing them, I'm happy to be corrected.
I think you are probably right.
Old Dec 26, 09, 11:10 pm

Programs: UA1K 0.71+Lifetime ,DL,Hyatt Diamond,SPG,HH
Maybe this says it all>

Daily non-stop service from Washington Dulles to Accra, the capital of the west African nation of Ghana, begins on May 2. The flight will continue from Accra to Lagos, Nigeria. The return flight will operate from Lagos to Accra and Washington. The flights, which will be available for sale this fall, will be operated by Boeing 767 aircraft on the following schedule:

Who knows?
Old Dec 26, 09, 11:18 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by ordogg View Post
The big 15 inch screens at each of the C and F seats.
Old Dec 26, 09, 11:41 pm

Programs: BA Meltdown soft-landed Silver, OZ♦+ (BR/UA), B6 Mosaic, WoH♦, Mlife Noir, TR 7*
Originally Posted by ordogg View Post
Keep in mind it's a 747 these days...
Old Dec 27, 09, 12:13 am

Programs: Star Alliance
What the hell is the world coming to?

So now my 14 hour flight next week to HKG, I won't have any IFE... wait don't even tell me. I'll just bring some sleeping pills and call it entertainment.

THIS IS @$*&*$^@$!
I can't believe my 2010 will start off like this.

Also, they say it will be unpredictable, how the hell is that even possible? What if you are a road warrior, or gosh an mileage runner. This is @*$&*)$^*^@*!

This makes me soooo pissed off!!!

Is anyone else as mad as I am?
Old Dec 27, 09, 12:14 am

Location: Currently: DCA (+IAD/BWI). Before that: FNL (+DEN/COS). Before that: HVN (+BDL/LGA/EWR/JFK).
Programs: UA 1K, DL Gold, Hertz Five Star, NEXUS, Global Entry
Can anyone confirm whether or not these absurd restrictions are affecting domestic flights, as well? More specifically, is the in-flight WiFi still enabled on p.s. flights, or has that been disabled as well?

Originally Posted by The_seat_Baron View Post
Yes. Yes I am.
Old Dec 27, 09, 12:18 am

Programs: Something lifetime here and there
Letter sent already to UGS desk regarding this, as well as the "other" rumored/confirmed changes. UA needs to take a stand against the TSA and its morons or suffer the consequences.
Old Dec 27, 09, 12:24 am

Programs: UA Premier Plat, SPG, HHonors
No IFE UA882 BKK-NRT Dec 27 in F

I am in the NRT IFL right now. No IFE UA882 (744) BKK-NRT Dec 27 in all classes.

That's right- nothin'. The screen was off the entire time. No announcements made by the FAs and no apologies. A complete waste of miles for my trip in F.

I asked the purser and she said all IFE will remain off until at least Jan. 1. She doesn't know why Jan. 1 is the set date.

Will continue on to ICN on UA891 (777) this evening also in F. Interesting to see if IFE will also be turned off.

NOTE- these two flights don't even touch U.S. soil. So whatever the reason is, it probably doesn't have to do with the airshow?
Old Dec 27, 09, 12:25 am

Programs: AA LTPLT UA1P Hilton Dia Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by The_seat_Baron View Post
What the hell is the world coming to?

So now my 14 hour flight next week to HKG, I won't have any IFE... wait don't even tell me. I'll just bring some sleeping pills and call it entertainment.

THIS IS @$*&*$^@$!
I can't believe my 2010 will start off like this.

Also, they say it will be unpredictable, how the hell is that even possible? What if you are a road warrior, or gosh an mileage runner. This is @*$&*)$^*^@*!

This makes me soooo pissed off!!!

Switch to Cathay Pacific

Search this Thread
Search Engine: