Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Is Channel 9 still working on TATL flights?

I flew IAD-CDG on 2/20 and FRA-IAD on 2/26 and Channel 9 did not work on either flight.

Has UA discontinued Channel 9 on international or transatlantic flights?
Old Mar 1, 2010, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Any recent reports about LHR? I am flying in on March 12th, and leaving on the 21st. Both times I will be in C, so I don't know if that will mean that I bypass the regular economy crowd.....

Thanks!

Last edited by FriendlySkies; Mar 1, 2010 at 12:28 pm
Old Mar 2, 2010, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
Any recent reports about LHR? I am flying in on March 12th, and leaving on the 21st. Both times I will be in C, so I don't know if that will mean that I bypass the regular economy crowd.....

Thanks!
You might do. I did the previous time to this trip and the red carpet people got better treatment and could q jump. This time I was out of gate 48 at T1 and there was a red carpet but you all join up at the end and it is really difficult to get in front of the economy crowd. I didn't like it at all and would get to the gate as soon as I possibly could next time. There were 4 people going through the luggage and they went through it very thoroughly.
Old Mar 6, 2010, 1:36 am

Programs: UA Plat. Ex: DL PM, AA EXP, VX Gold,
Did things ever get resolved with Airshow? What's the policy now?
Old Mar 6, 2010, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by avsrock90
Did things ever get resolved with Airshow? What's the policy now?
Airshow was fully operational on four international flights that I took in January:

SFO->HKG
HKG->SIN
SIN->NRT
NRT->SFO
Old Apr 8, 2010, 3:42 pm
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
courtesy of ricktoronto, i just saw this over in the ts&s forum....

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...n-flights.html
Old Apr 9, 2010, 1:35 pm

Programs: UA Platinum
Originally Posted by United PR
To comply with the current TSA security directive, Channel 9 is turned off on international flights inbound to the U.S..
Originally Posted by LarryU
Airshow was fully operational on four international flights that I took in January:

SFO->HKG
HKG->SIN
SIN->NRT
NRT->SFO
So does that mean Channel 9 will be coming back to international inbound flights? Or is Airshow and Channel 9 covered under different TSA directives?
Old Apr 9, 2010, 7:26 pm

Originally Posted by Ryu2
So does that mean Channel 9 will be coming back to international inbound flights? Or is Airshow and Channel 9 covered under different TSA directives?
Neither Airshow nor Channel 9 are the subject of any TSA directives. The initial mandate to cancel Airshow within US airspace has long since been withdrawn -- since early January, in fact. It seems to be working again on all UA flights that have it.....restored as of mid-January.

Channel 9 is, and always has been, at Captain's discretion. Some turn it off all the time as a matter of course. Some turned it off during the post-Xmas scare, and have since re-enabled it.

YMMV.......
Old May 27, 2010, 10:49 pm

Programs: United-1K+2MM, Bonvoy-LifetimeGold,IHG-Diamond-Ambassador
Patdowns

Are there still patdowns at MUC?
Old May 28, 2010, 4:36 am

Programs: UA 1K/2MM, SPG/Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Lifetime HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, AA Exec Plat
Originally Posted by zappa42m
Not sure but there are patdowns at FRA.
Old May 28, 2010, 5:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Are you only going to fly if there are?
Old May 28, 2010, 6:58 am
Moderator, Omni, Omni/PR, Omni/Games, FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K MM; Hilton Diamond
Nope, or at least not when I flew back from there in March.

Typical "did you pack your own bags" etc. questions at check-in, and then the normal security checkpoint. Nothing extra at the gate, either.
Old May 28, 2010, 8:00 am

We appear to have maintained our common sense and civility.

And I was pleasantly surprised recently on a UA flight out of LHR to not have anything out of the ordinary compared to my usual LHR domestic/intra-Europe experiences.
Old May 28, 2010, 8:24 am

Originally Posted by exbayern

And I was pleasantly surprised recently on a UA flight out of LHR to not have anything out of the ordinary compared to my usual LHR domestic/intra-Europe experiences.
Same with me on my flight out of CDG last week. No pat down, nothing crazy, no need to even take your shoes off.

But the people in the RCC urged everyone to go to the boarding area early since there will be "additional security screening", but like I said, I saw nothing out of the ordinary.
Old May 28, 2010, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by exbayern
"Restored" is probably a better word under the circumstances. ^

Bruce

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.