Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:04 pm

Programs: UA1k3.00mm;AAex-EXP;Hy Glob;Acc Plt;HH Dia;Onyx Plt;Mar LT Tit;IHG DiAm;RR P;RRA G;BW D;Hcom G
Originally Posted by l'etoile
To be consistent, they should not reveal flight times any more either since if you know you're departing Chicago at x and you want to do damage to a plane over Denver it wouldn't be too tough to figure out when you'd be there, map or not. Beware of anyone who looks at their watch in flight.
^^
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by UncleJed
I can confirm the IFE nonsense is not limited to int'l flights - I just got off UA722 ORD-IAD, and the IFE was all shut down about 2 minutes before we pushed back. As we were taxiing out they came on the PA and said "you might have noticed that the IFE is inoperative - this is due to the recent security issues".

So much for my nice 763 C seat...
Oh great. I'm on UA1 tomorrow. Should be a nice way to start off a nice vacation.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:22 pm

Programs: UA
This is just absolutely ridiculous and any reasonable smart person can figure out where they are. I am just curious if somebody invents clothes that will blow up whether we all need to start flying naked.
What exactly do they try to protect us from ? Also will LH do the same nonsense ? If this does not stop until my next international flight in January I will only fly international carriers and just let my GS status expire.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:28 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
I have a feeling that foreign airlines will ignore this nonsense. So, just don't fly on any US flagged carrier if you can.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:33 pm

Programs: SPG PLT, AA EXP
Why do people keep referencing the TSA? The TSA isn't mandating that US carriers shut off IFE on flights... UA is making that decision on their own are they not?

- T
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by TonySCV
Why do people keep referencing the TSA? The TSA isn't mandating that US carriers shut off IFE on flights... UA is making that decision on their own are they not?

- T
How do you know that United made such a questionable decision? United would be foolish to implement something that would intentionally antagonize its customers.

The airline industry is competitive and is in financial trouble. I cannot imagine that United would take it upon itself to do such an illogical "security" measure which eventually would cause its customers to use other airlines that do not subscribe to the same tactics.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:54 pm

Programs: UAL 1MM Gold
Will be traveling PVG-SFO Tuesday. Anybody have information as to additional pre-boarding measures? Is it still 1 carry on and 1 personal item, i.e. computer bag? Or is it strictly one carry on?

Thanks.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 9:57 pm

Originally Posted by halls120

I think every frequent flyer should start complaining now - not to TSA, because that would be futile, but to the airlines they fly on. They are the people who stand to lose the most. Here is what I've sent United and American.

I think every frequent flyer should start complaining now - not to TSA, because that would be futile, but to the airlines they fly on. They are the people who stand to lose the most. Here is what I've sent United and American.

Quote:

I'm certain that right now, given the events of the last 36 hours, that operations at all airlines including United are in a bit of disarray.

Once things have had a chance to settle down, I hope United will take the lead in pushing back at the simply inane and unnecessary new security measures TSA has imposed on the airlines.

Requiring people to remain in their seats for the last 60 minutes of an international flight is not only stupid (a potential terrorist will simply get up at 75 minutes before landing, if that is his plan) but ultimately unmanageable. The reality of a 60 minute "no stand" requirement for an international arrival at Washington Dulles means that a passenger won't be able to use a restroom for almost 90 minutes. Some people simply need to urinate more frequently that others. Does United intend to force people to soil themselves?

Simply put, turning off all IFE is going to drive people away from United to airlines that have power to seats in coach - which United's aircraft currently lack. Moreover, how does IFE even post a security risk? The route map? Come on, anyone with a watch can calculate when an aircraft makes landfall after an over water flight.

I would complain to TSA, but they owe their continued existence to crackpots like this recent idiot, and they don't stand to suffer from making flying an increasingly unpleasant experience. United, and all other airlines, on the other hand, do stand to suffer if people simply decide to stop flying.

Please help to stop this madness, and stop handing terrorists a victory by participating in TSA overreaction.
halls120 is offline Report Bad or Misplaced Post Reply With Quote
Good letter. I could not have written a better one. Maybe more of us should contact United and the other U.S. carriers we use and express our opinions.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:00 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by TonySCV
The TSA isn't mandating that US carriers shut off IFE on flights... UA is making that decision on their own are they not?
Sounds like a great opportunity for a UA rep to appear on FT and set the record straight.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Gold
I flew on DL today and IFE was working the entire time with the map. It was SFO-ATL. So this might be limited to UA.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:16 pm

Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal
The question I have is, is anyone here willing to pull their travel plans in protest?

I have more than two hundred thousand elite qualifying miles this year. When I read about this nonsense I'm thinking there is a good possibility that I will have very few miles this upcoming year. This is because, at the present time, I am considering canceling my January and later international trips until this stupid "security" panic settles down.

Between more "security" together with less comfort on the aircraft, making trips will be more of a chore than pleasure.

If I learn that foreign carriers are exempt from these new "rules" I will certainly use foreign carriers as much as possible.

I love United but the stress of all the unnecessary associated nonsense called security takes away from the pleasure and anticipation of a trip.

Maybe in a few days I will feel different about the changes and will convince myself to put up with the nonsense. My January trips are just around the corner.

In an earlier post, I remarked that the terrorist incident was an isolated case and was largely due to airline employee errors. Were it not for the errors made by the airline employees (not United) the incident would not have happened. Therefore, we, the passengers are being punished for the errors of the airline employees.

Last edited by dgcpaphd; Dec 26, 2009 at 10:22 pm
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:17 pm

Programs: UA 1P, F9 Ascent, SPG Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by juergenritz
i flew Fra-SFo today (26th). All UA flights delayed , LH on time. .... We had no video,audio,power port for laptop (bring your own dvds), seatlamp, no invidual reading light, lights came off and on when the flight attendent wanted to be on....
Was like in prision but with nicer blankeds and pillows ;-) missed my connection by 10 min because my bag came last ...
boooked again the wrong airline....
jr
How well did that go over? Didn't people raise a fit about not having reading lights?
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:38 pm

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by German Expat
...we all need to start flying naked.
Hands down, the best idea here yet.

Back on topic:
Obviously, turning off IFE will do nothing to deter someone determined to do harm to a flight. CLEARLY, there is more to this whole story/situation than either the TSA, US Government, or UA is letting on if turning off the IFE is the "fix."

UA PR needs to get out in front of this before it devolves (further).
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:44 pm

Programs: Free agent!
Originally Posted by tom911
Sounds like a great opportunity for a UA rep to appear on FT and set the record straight.
I agree. Where's UnitedPR when you need him/her?

I'm thankful that someone has gone ahead and started this thread as I was wondering what the exact "increased security measures" were going to be. I'm in TPE right now, with a TPE-NRT-SEA-PDX flight coming up in a week, so it'll be interesting, to say the least. I was also in Asia during the liquid explosives incident in a couple of years but thankfully that blew over by the time I was headed back to the States.

Sure, I'd like the IFE as much as the next guy but what drives me crazy is this no movement for an hour prior to landing. I can't wait to be looked as suspiciously every time I go to the restroom during a flight.
Old Dec 26, 2009, 10:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Mile Nobody, Marriott Platinum Elite, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by AirlineDeregulation
I flew on DL today and IFE was working the entire time with the map. It was SFO-ATL. So this might be limited to UA.
Well, this just confirms that someone from UA has to step up and explain. Who made the call to discontinue IFE, for how long will this be in effect, and why? Passengers are owed these answers at a minimum.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.