Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Old Jan 13, 10, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA MM, MB LifeTit
I flew UA967 from FCO to IAD on Monday. At FCO they went through all carry-ons and patted down passengers at the gate. The only thing of note on the flight was an announcement to inform FAs if you see anything suspicious. Channel 9 was on the whole way.
Old Jan 14, 10, 1:24 pm

Programs: UA*G, UA 1MM, AS MVPG, DL PM
I just came through pre-clearance and security at YYZ headed back to SEA through ORD.

I packed all my stuff: laptop, ipod, bose headphones, chargers, cables, overnite change of clothes (just here for one night), liquids (in baggie), other toiletries, book and newspaper into my computer bag. I went through security with no questions asked.

I went through a secondary screening on the way to the gate. They pretty much took everything out of my bag and looked through every pocket. No issues with my computer bag or it's contents. The patdown I received was about as extensive as I have ever received.

Looking around the boarding area, if you have a reasonably sized computer bag, and it has a computer in it, you can also put your other carryon items into it without any problem. One of the security gals told me that they are not allowing any computer bags with wheels.
Old Jan 14, 10, 7:06 pm

UA869 SFO-HKG 12 January: aircraft N178UA; airshow map on from before departure to after touchdown. Pleasant surprise, as the lead FA on the HKG-based crew said they'd had no map on 862 the day before.

UA895 HKG-SIN 13 January: aircraft N117UA; airshow map likewise on the entire trip. Plane came through from ORD; I presume the map was enabled from the US on the preceding segment as well.

These were, however, outbound flights from the US. Not clear to me whether the moving map software on 744s and 763s is "on" or "off" depending on the aircraft, or depending on the direction (inbound to USA, or outbound from USA). Other posts suggest the map is sometimes on, sometimes off, coming toward the USA -- mebbe it depends on whether maintenance has re-enabled the software since the shut-off panic?

YMMV......
Old Jan 14, 10, 7:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by EricH View Post
I flew UA967 from FCO to IAD on Monday. At FCO they went through all carry-ons and patted down passengers at the gate. The only thing of note on the flight was an announcement to inform FAs if you see anything suspicious. Channel 9 was on the whole way.
Nice to see that some semblance of normalcy has returned, at least on some flights.
Old Jan 14, 10, 7:20 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Marriott Silver Elite
NRT-LAX on 1/12
map on
Ch9 off
Full IFE working
no 1 hour rule or anything like that prior to landing
pat down extra security screen in NRT jetway
Old Jan 14, 10, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by arnold_chen View Post
NRT-LAX on 1/12
map on
Ch9 off
Full IFE working
no 1 hour rule or anything like that prior to landing
pat down extra security screen in NRT jetway
Was there any carry-on limitation?
Old Jan 15, 10, 2:17 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
I came through FRA on the 14th. There is now scanning entering the USA A-gates from Schengen countries, but it was no more thorough than usual. There was a sign posted at the escalator asking that more than one bag be checked, but this was not enforced.
Old Jan 15, 10, 7:49 am

Programs: UA 1K,SPG Plat,
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead View Post
I came through FRA on the 14th. There is now scanning entering the USA A-gates from Schengen countries, but it was no more thorough than usual. There was a sign posted at the escalator asking that more than one bag be checked, but this was not enforced.
+1. I was through the day before, and had a shoulder bag and a duty free bag, nobody said anything about it.

917 FRA-IAD, no restrictions, Ch.9 was off, IFE and the map were on wheels up to landing.
Old Jan 15, 10, 8:41 am

Programs: UA Gold; AA Gold; HH Diamond; National EE; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Originally Posted by Miles Ahead View Post
So are all USA-bound departures consolidated to those high-number A-gates at FRA? I think our inbound IAD-FRA flight in December also came into one of those gates. If so, I can live with that-- the LH Business Lounge at A65 is pretty nice, with great views of the field, plus panini sandwiches!

As I posted above, screening at that wing was very straightforward (no shoe or baggie carnival, a random patdown for only 1 of our group of 3), and there was literally no one in line when we went through (1030AM on a Thursday), which was a surprise!
Old Jan 15, 10, 9:22 am

Programs: United Plat 2MM, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Maxwell Smart View Post
So are all USA-bound departures consolidated to those high-number A-gates at FRA?
No. Some leave from C.
Old Jan 15, 10, 2:26 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.8MM 1K , DL PM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, BW Plat, Hertz #1 Gold PC, Avis Preferred
LHR-ORD January 12:

No pat-down at the gate, and no additional examination of carry-on. All the facilities for this were there, but only a few Y pax were being processed. C and F pax were just invited to walk right through. No additional security on flight either. IFE on until we landed, seatbelts on for last 15 minutes of flight only, no restrictions on having anything in your lap. It could have been a normal pre-underpants flight. No one seemed to be controlling how many carry-ons you had at LHR security either. I'd have brought two if I'd known. I'll be doing this run again in 10 days' time: it will be interesting to see if the experience is the same.

[OT: My first experience of Mr Brown's iniqitous departure tax on C and F pax. All NC pax are asked to pay an additional 45 at LHR check-in. The sooner Labour are voted out, the better.]
Old Jan 15, 10, 3:13 pm

Programs: UAL 1K/1MM, Go Zags!
All these comments about airmap on/off and Ch9 on/off seem to indicate everything is back to normal; sometimes they are on, sometimes they are off, my experience on international flights for the last four years...

It sounds like the checkpoints are now similiar to what we have been enduring ex-Sao Paulo for last four years as well; The usual TSA scanners after ticketing, followed by immigration, then the duty-free maze, then finally, on the jetway, the last, final, final bag check; everything is opened up and looked at with great suspicion, then repacked.

I always forget this last step, and have lost numerous bottles of water as a result...
Old Jan 15, 10, 7:18 pm

Programs: UA Plat 1MM
Originally Posted by 1P View Post
LHR-ORD January 12:

[OT: My first experience of Mr Brown's iniqitous departure tax on C and F pax. All NC pax are asked to pay an additional 45 at LHR check-in. The sooner Labour are voted out, the better.]
Where is this tax paid...literally at check-in? If OLCI'd can pax get around this? What about pax UG'd at the gate???
Old Jan 15, 10, 10:41 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.8MM 1K , DL PM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, BW Plat, Hertz #1 Gold PC, Avis Preferred
Originally Posted by Modern 49er View Post
Where is this tax paid...literally at check-in? If OLCI'd can pax get around this? What about pax UG'd at the gate???
If you don't OLCI, yes, you pay literally at check-in. A credit card, and you get a receipt on blue card, like a DM card or the last page of the former paper tickets. Wondered what would happen if I refused to pay. Would they refuse to issue me a BP, or downgrade me to Y?

I was told that people on C and F tickets have already paid the extra tax in the price of the ticket. It's only the upgraders they are going for.

No idea about pax UG'd at the gate, or OLCI. I shall try OLCI next time to see if that manages to avoid it. But they could still catch you at baggage drop-off, I suppose.
Old Jan 16, 10, 2:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: 1K (until 2021), *G for "life", Global Entry, Hertz PC, Cadbury's Rum and Raisin Emeritus
Originally Posted by 1P View Post
If you don't OLCI, yes, you pay literally at check-in. A credit card, and you get a receipt on blue card, like a DM card or the last page of the former paper tickets. Wondered what would happen if I refused to pay. Would they refuse to issue me a BP, or downgrade me to Y?

I was told that people on C and F tickets have already paid the extra tax in the price of the ticket. It's only the upgraders they are going for.

No idea about pax UG'd at the gate, or OLCI. I shall try OLCI next time to see if that manages to avoid it. But they could still catch you at baggage drop-off, I suppose.
I hadn't realised the amounts involved and can see a good case for Eurostar-ing, or taking a one way flight to some other airport to avoid what could be 100's of pounds when we do our family trip.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 16, 10 at 5:00 am Reason: off-topic

Search this Thread
Search Engine: