Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Old Jan 10, 10, 8:00 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd View Post
By the way, it is not UA that examines bags just before you enter the aircraft when departing from GIG and GRU. It is a Brazilian company called Infraero. Many of the same Infraero employees also take care of check-in functions prior to their going to the gate to inspect passenger carry-ons.
Infraero is a Public Government company and takes care of the whole airport administration and does not interfere with carrier's daily operations. General GRU security procedures are done by third parties, on Infraero's behalf.

UA check-in and general daily procedures at Brazilian airports are conducted by third parties on UA's behalf, to the best of my knowledge. UA's pax screening, as reported here, are done by a UA third party upon UA's request, on UA's behalf and designated by UA.
Old Jan 10, 10, 8:41 am

Programs: UAL 1K MM
Originally Posted by RTWSTARALLIANCE View Post
It has been a few years since we flew into/out of CDG on UA. I checked online and it says the RCC is on 10. I did not think the terminal even had 10 floors when we were there last. Comments on RCC at CDG please.
Yes, it is on the 10th floor; you are probably on the 6th or 7th floor though when you are walking through the terminal. You will see signs for the lounges and follow them to the elevator up to the 10th.
Do they have a F Lounge?
I don't think so.
Old Jan 10, 10, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by arnold_chen View Post
We found this out the hard way as well. Flew SFO-HKG-SIN on 12/24-5 and after picking up a bottle of water at the HKG RCC it ended up in the trash as my bag was searched in the jetway and no liquids were allowed. They did let my 3YO's 1/2 full water cup through though.
Wow, so no duty free liquids in HKG on the way to SIN. Good to know. I usually transit through NRT and hever had a problem, but I was considering switching to HKG for my next trip. At least there's always duty free on arrival in Changi.
Old Jan 10, 10, 10:20 am

Programs: Yes
Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
I've had this happen at HKG everytime I've been through there ...including long before Dec. 25, 2009.
I haven't been through since Dec 25, but I've *never* had that happen at HKG, flying UA, SQ, CX, AC, MU or KA.
Old Jan 10, 10, 11:08 am

Programs: United 1K GS, USAIR, Delta
Originally Posted by UncleJed View Post
I haven't been through since Dec 25, but I've *never* had that happen at HKG, flying UA, SQ, CX, AC, MU or KA.
I concur. 40+ transits of HKG and never had them take my liquids. They go buy the 1 bag 100ml rule.
Old Jan 10, 10, 12:16 pm
Senior Moderator, Moderator: Coronavirus, United MileagePlus, Carbon Conscious Travel, FlyerTalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM/Plat; AS MVP 75K; AA gold; Fairmont & Starwood platinum; Hyatt diamond; Kimpton IC Elite
Originally Posted by jhcapps3 View Post
I concur. 40+ transits of HKG and never had them take my liquids. They go buy the 1 bag 100ml rule.
You've never had the second screening check just prior to the gate?

Last time, I watched as someone who decided to raid the minis at the lounge got them all confiscated. IME, get a bottle of water inside the terminal and past initial security and it will still be confiscated in the pre-gate check.

Last edited by l etoile; Jan 10, 10 at 12:37 pm Reason: typo
Old Jan 10, 10, 12:34 pm

Programs: UA Premier Gold (1MM), AS MVP
Brief comment on the screening out of GRU - while it seems like it doesn't take much longer than the usual Brazilian screening pre-12/25/09, it still went slow enough that it delayed our flight departure by 45 minutes+. That combined with strong headwinds wiped out our layover. I've usually managed a 90 minute connection in IAD no problem; I would now plan on 2.5 hours at a minimum, to account for these factors and the potential for a perfect C&I storm of GIG, GRU, EZE and other flights all arriving about the same time (we had just missed a wave and still didn't make our connection). The arrival record of GRU-IAD since our trip on 1/2/10 has been pretty dismal.

And these are stations where newly purchased bottle of water are always confiscated -- don't even bother.
Old Jan 10, 10, 2:26 pm

Programs: 1.2MM
Originally Posted by arnold_chen View Post
We found this out the hard way as well. Flew SFO-HKG-SIN on 12/24-5 and after picking up a bottle of water at the HKG RCC it ended up in the trash as my bag was searched in the jetway and no liquids were allowed. They did let my 3YO's 1/2 full water cup through though.

So am I reading these comments correctly,

I'm flying HKG to SFO in a couple weeks, I won't be able to get any liquor in HKG and bring back with me as carry-on, as this stuff will be confiscated during a carry-on recheck sweep? What's the benefit of Duty Free in HKG if I can't utilize it. I was looking forward to buying Johnny Walker Blue.

Last edited by United777Heavy; Jan 10, 10 at 4:22 pm
Old Jan 10, 10, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by United777Heavy View Post
So am I reading these comments correctly,

I'm flying HKG to SFO in a couple weeks, I won't be able to get any liquor in HKG and bring back with me as carry-on, as this stuff will be confiscated during a carry-on recheck sweep? What's the benefit if Duty Free in HKG if I can't utilize it. I was looking forward to buy my Johnny Walker Blue.
JW Blue is generally available on board.

http://www.dutyfreeunited.com/produc...hp?product=258
Old Jan 10, 10, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by UncleJed View Post
Originally Posted by jhcapps3 View Post
+2

However there are airports (such as DEL) which still have signage about no beverages to be brought on board, even after passing security. I do not recall this at HKG.
Old Jan 10, 10, 5:36 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Plat., IHG Spire Ambassador
Originally Posted by l'etoile View Post
You've never had the second screening check just prior to the gate?

Last time, I watched as someone who decided to raid the minis at the lounge got them all confiscated. IME, get a bottle of water inside the terminal and past initial security and it will still be confiscated in the pre-gate check.
I think posts 424 and 425 were about HKG-SIN, not HKG-SFO. I've never had the second screening for liquid either going HKG-SIN so if it's there, it must be pretty recent.
Old Jan 10, 10, 7:05 pm

Originally Posted by pb9997 View Post

UA's pax screening, as reported here, are done by a UA third party upon UA's request, on UA's behalf and designated by UA.
Hello,

Do you have a source to confirm that it is United that requests extra passenger screening on the jet way at GIG & GRU?

United once told me that it was Infraero that made the decision to screen passengers even though the passengers had already been through Brazilian security.

As you know, the extra screening began many years ago and was not started because of the incident that happened on 12/25/2009.
Old Jan 10, 10, 7:22 pm

Programs: United 1kMM; AA EX Plat, Hilton Diamond and SPG Plat
Originally Posted by halls120 View Post
That must be a YVR rule. I was at YOW today, and my laptop case (stuffed to the gills with as much as I could get in) passed with no problem. Lines weren't long, either, for a Friday. The 3 hours recommendation at YOW isn't necessary, if today was any example.

My colleague and I decided that it was just a ruse to get us to buy more liquor at the nice cozy bar in the US departure section. It worked.
YEG today I have a Swissgear laptop backpack and all I had was my laptop and CPAP machine in it. I was MADE to check the backpack and hand carry the computer and CPAP. YEG-DEN-OAK. it was a total pain. I did see small to large purses, baby bags, and messanger/sachel computer bags allowed. They seems to allow almost anything in those bags.

FYI check in, holding pen, called by flight, went to customs, dropped off bags, security (normal) and then a very through pat down for everyone.
Old Jan 10, 10, 8:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Consider LHR. Who is telling people that they can't take more than one bag?

UA staff at check-in, but that can be avoided by using the machines or not showing the bags.

BAA security. That seems to be difficult to enforce since the security at T1 covers other flights. Pos
Old Jan 10, 10, 11:08 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K 1MM
One bag carry on rule

Originally Posted by gnaget View Post
Consider LHR. Who is telling people that they can't take more than one bag?

UA staff at check-in, but that can be avoided by using the machines or not showing the bags.

BAA security. That seems to be difficult to enforce since the security at T1 covers other flights. Pos
UAL in PEK at check-in now insists that each passenger may only have one carry-on including personal items such as laptops. If the laptop fits into the carry-on no problem. Not clear what would happen if one ignores the advice. There is a thorough check at the gate to weed out any liquids and some passengers are diverted for additional pat downs now. It's possible they are watching for second carry-ons at the gate also.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: