Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:31 pm

Programs: 1.3mm
Does anyone know if we can still take on carry-on luggage on the plane coming and leaving the US?

I hear rumors that we can't bring carry-on onto the plane, that those have to be checked and only computers and small bags are allowed.

I'm flying to to and from HKG and would like not to check anything.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:34 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, BA Gold, Bonvoy Ambassador, HH Gold
Originally Posted by United777Heavy
Does anyone know if we can still take on carry-on luggage on the plane coming and leaving the US?

I hear rumors that we can't bring carry-on onto the plane, that those have to be checked and only computers and small bags are allowed.

I'm flying to to and from HKG and would like not to check anything.
On 12/30 I was allowed a bag and a personal item flying DME-IAD.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 1:48 pm

Programs: UA 1k
Flew UA 930 SFO to LHR New Years' Eve. Flight normal but no airshow or Ch9. Assume plane is the same one which comes in from LHR earlier in the day so perhaps no one bothers to turn on Ch9? Worst thing about flight was noisy baby in C in next row to me, so no complaints! No problems with carry ons. Flight was early and no delays, no stacking and no waiting for gate. That is unusual but welcome.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:00 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
What is Security like Now in the Air?

I will be flying to/from Singapore next week on UA, returning through NRT and IAD. I was wondering if the rules we heard of are still in effect: not getting up 1 hours before arrival in the US, no personal items on your lap, no map, no movies,etc? Or are things back to what they were before December 25?

Thanks
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:05 pm

Programs: Ex. Somebody, now a disloyal Nobody
Ongoing discussion is...

here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...+international

and here:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...tw-flight.html
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:10 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
We noticed no difference at all flying SYD-SFO yesterday.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:11 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
Originally Posted by United777Heavy
Those draconian rules are from Canada only.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:36 pm

Programs: nobody
back from SIN, not much difference in SIN, at NRT 2nd search at the jetway. I have to say the 2nd search wasn't that thorough. Otherwise everything else is pretty much the same except GPS is no longer working. No Ch9 on my flight. No 1 hr b4 arrival was enforce on my way to ORD, movie still showing from gate to gate, not that I care any of the selection. Personal items (cellphone,mp3 players ) was with me at all time.

Last edited by mobilebucky; Jan 7, 2010 at 10:43 pm
Old Jan 7, 2010, 10:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA ExPlat,EX-UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat,
YVR

Back YVR on Monday, no carry on allow, it is strange to see everybody carry their laptop on hand. Body pad even kids ages 3 or 4
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:15 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
BKK-NRT today, UA 882, all bags searched at the gate prior to boarding, all passengers wanded at the gate prior to boarding. Separate lines for Y and C/F. Be interesting to see what awaits at the gate here for the NRT-SFO leg.
Old Jan 7, 2010, 11:37 pm

Originally Posted by Diplomatico
........Be interesting to see what awaits at the gate here for the NRT-SFO leg.
Just took the NRT-SFO leg on the 6th. We were told to line up in two rows as we made our way along the airbridge. Along the airbridge were several security agents at long tables checking carry on baggage. Once I was done, I was directed to another area to be patted down. It probably added 5-7 minutes to the process. Plane still left on time.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:21 am

Programs: UA MP (DH is MM 1K, so yeah! so am I!), SPG Platinum/LTG, Marriott Platinum Premier/LT Platinum
CDG to ORD yesterday, United 9787

French security after French passport control, then another "flight" security before going onto flight into a "holding area". Pat down by French and another pat down and rummage through bags at "flight" security before "holding area" to get onto flight. No food/drinks available after French security. No access to bathrooms once in "holding area," you have to exit flight security with boarding pass and passport, and get re-padded down to get back in. If you have no one to watch your bags, it could be a real pain.

Only 1 small carryon allowed.

Makes me not want to fly internationally for a while.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 8:25 am

Programs: United 1K GS, USAIR, Delta
Originally Posted by Diplomatico
BKK-NRT today, UA 882, all bags searched at the gate prior to boarding, all passengers wanded at the gate prior to boarding. Separate lines for Y and C/F. Be interesting to see what awaits at the gate here for the NRT-SFO leg.
This is SOP for BKK. Was there early November 09 and it was exactly the same. Has nothing to do with Dec 25.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 10:01 am

Originally Posted by jmkclee
No access to bathrooms once in "holding area," you have to exit flight security with boarding pass and passport, and get re-padded down to get back in. If you have no one to watch your bags, it could be a real pain.
That has nothing to do with 12/25 - has long been the case at many CDG gates.
Old Jan 8, 2010, 11:10 am

Programs: UA MP (DH is MM 1K, so yeah! so am I!), SPG Platinum/LTG, Marriott Platinum Premier/LT Platinum
Didn't know that...our first time to France. Definitely a bummer, though, especially with kids!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.