Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: confidential
I think the ife ban won't last. also at least the IFE is not linked to seat controls unlike AA.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by exbayern
I don't think that it is (yet) a FRA but a UA situation, nothing on the M+M forum nor the LH site; Fraport only 'requests' passengers to bring no carry on or things that they truly only need on the flight, in order to minimize wait times, on their site.

http://www.fraport.de/cms/press/dok/...hafen_fran.htm
Brilliant. That Fraport Sprecher doesn't seem to be much of a traveler. I don't *need* much during the flight, but I sure as heck don't want the airline/airport to lose or damage my camera, laptop, ...
Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:19 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
LHR - one bag?

Originally Posted by MsTravelBug
I agree! I was disappointed to see that according to United's website, the one-bag rule is now in effect at FRA and Brussels as well.

Link:
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,53307,00.html

I'm also disappointed to note that despite the new rules limiting hand luggage, I've seen no mention of any plans to enhance protection of checked luggage.
LHR isn't included? I thought LHR re-imposed a one-bag rule?
Old Dec 30, 2009, 9:31 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by c1mth0g
LHR isn't included? I thought LHR re-imposed a one-bag rule?
You're right. LHR imposed a one-bag rule almost immediately after the incident on the AMS-DTW flight. FRA and Brussels waited a few days before adopting it. And Canada has been even more stringent for travel to the US. From United's website:

"For travel from Canada to the United States
Customers traveling from any Canadian destination to the United States should be advised that effective December 28, 2009, Transport Canada (a department of the Canadian government) put into place a ban on any carry-on baggage that customers would have access to during flight.

Items that are excluded from this restriction include:
small purses
cameras
coats
items for care of infants
laptop computers
diplomatic or consular bags
crutches
canes
walkers
containers carrying life-sustaining items
medications and medical devices
musical instruments
special-needs items"
Old Dec 30, 2009, 10:15 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM, BA Gold, SQ TPP
Originally Posted by MsTravelBug
You're right. LHR imposed a one-bag rule almost immediately after the incident on the AMS-DTW flight. FRA and Brussels waited a few days before adopting it. And Canada has been even more stringent for travel to the US. From United's website:

"For travel from Canada to the United States
Customers traveling from any Canadian destination to the United States should be advised that effective December 28, 2009, Transport Canada (a department of the Canadian government) put into place a ban on any carry-on baggage that customers would have access to during flight.

Items that are excluded from this restriction include:
small purses
cameras
coats
items for care of infants
laptop computers
diplomatic or consular bags
crutches
canes
walkers
containers carrying life-sustaining items
medications and medical devices
musical instruments
special-needs items"
Ha! UA just updated the website within the last hour. LHR and BRU are now listed as having a one-bag rule. FRA is not ...
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:32 am

Location: The opinion expessed here are not necessarly those of United Airlines or any affiliates or subsidiaries of UAL Corp..
Originally Posted by tripaddict
Flying domestically the other day a FA busted out yet another new policy. Not sure if this has been in effect since before December, but my wife and I were sitting in the exit row and instructed to read the exit row credentials, which seemed normal enough. Then, the FA explained that he would come back and ask us about details mentioned on the brochure.

Half-way joking, I asked if it was policy to come back and ask about the brochure. A few minutes later the FA produced a printout dated Dec 09 with such instructions. I apologized for doubting.

Is this new? Is this what FA's have been instructed to do all along? The FA usually just explains the requirements and asks if we are capable. It felt kind of funny to be 'quizzed' by a FA.
The paper the FA let you see is the way ( 3 steps) the UA wants us to do it now to insure it is being done to comply with the FAR. UA was fined for some FA's not asking the exit rows if they met the criteria.

The FA will still assess that the pax in the exit row meet the customer selection criteria.

They will then ask you to review the exit row seating criteria on the safety card on the front and inside.

Then the FA will come back to you to ask you "Do you meet all the criteria and are you qualified, willing and able to perform all the functions on the safety card for the exit?"

If you meet the criteria and willing then you reply with an answer of YES done.

On my last Int'l flt the map was on & there was no ban on the last hour of pax must be in their seats ( as long as the seat belt sign was off). Now boarding did take forever due to the hand search of each pax bags but that is under the airports control on when they start that process as our boarding time is still the same 1 hour before the flt.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:52 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

As noted above, on the United page referenced, the one bag limitation is now imposed at Brussels, Amsterdam, and London -- not Frankfurt. Canada still has the 0+ carry-on bag limit.

Idiotic. Note that no Asian airport has chosen to join the silliness brigade.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.75MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
Data point

Just got off 862, HKG-SFO. All pretty much back to normal - map was technically "on", but our distance/time remaining never changed (though it did show the altitude). Other IFE was fine. I was speaking with the captain pre-flight, joking about the map - he said even he was in the dark, hadn't gotten any official word yet.

20 min out from landing, PA request to "please stay in your seats the remainder of the flight". Sounded somewhat half-hearted, a few people still got up.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AS 75k, AA Plat, Bonvoyed Gold, Honors Dia, Hyatt Explorer, IHG Plat, ...
Originally Posted by c1mth0g
Ha! UA just updated the website within the last hour. LHR and BRU are now listed as having a one-bag rule. FRA is not ...
Awesome. Is that part of the plan to make the security mechanisms unpredictable for would-be terrorists -- changing the rules for each airport once or twice a day?
Old Dec 30, 2009, 3:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
Any tips?

After months of debating whether to join the Flyertalk, I finally bit the bullet and registered today. Very much looking forward great discussions and tips.

So, I've been debating about a possible trip to ICN in Jan '10. Any idea as to how/if flights out of SFO to ICN (direct or via NRT) been affected (adversely) since the NWA incident a couple of days ago? I've read more than a few horror stories on various international/domestic flights since the incident but couldn't find any related to flights to ICN or NRT. Any tips and suggestions re. SFO-ICN route would be very much appreciated!
Old Dec 30, 2009, 3:21 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Welcome to FT Where2Go! ^ ^

I presume you have flipped through this thread:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ts-merged.html

You might get more responses by posting there, as your current thread title is a tad vague.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA Global Services 1MM,, AA Exec Plat. Hilton Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Where2Go
After months of debating whether to join the Flyertalk, I finally bit the bullet and registered today. Very much looking forward great discussions and tips.

So, I've been debating about a possible trip to ICN in Jan '10. Any idea as to how/if flights out of SFO to ICN (direct or via NRT) been affected (adversely) since the NWA incident a couple of days ago? I've read more than a few horror stories on various international/domestic flights since the incident but couldn't find any related to flights to ICN or NRT. Any tips and suggestions re. SFO-ICN route would be very much appreciated!
Welcome to FT Where2Go ^^

I think you will find the FT community very helpful in your travel endeavours! The most recent update is that UA has resumed their IFE (in-flight entertainment) on inbound int'l flights, but with the mapping function and channel 9 disabled. Other TSA mandates include no blankets 1 hr. prior to arrival as well as instructions to be seated 1 hr. prior to arrival (crew discretion)

Are you a United Elite member? If so, there are some helpful tips on FT about seat selection in the E+ (Economy Plus) section of widebody aircraft that service the SFO-NRT-ICN market.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:07 pm

Programs: no status
I have posted my check-in experience with UA in Canada in the AC forum:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/air-c...edures-30.html

It was an annoying experience to say the least. All restrictions were also enforced during the flight.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 4:12 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond, SPG Gold, Hertz 5*
Thank you, FortFun and globetraveler for the quick response....still learning my way through the flyertalk website.
Old Dec 30, 2009, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
Note that no Asian airport has chosen to join the silliness brigade.
Good! I'm in Singapore right now, flying home next week, hopefully after this idiocy dies down.

Really, I can't imagine any Asian country allowing itself to get caught up this way, overreacting to one wacko setting himself on fire. Asian countries hate to look ridiculous. The United States apparently doesn't mind at all, and Canada has seemingly entered a competition for most ridiculous country of all! Thank goodness I have no travel to Canada planned for the near future. I would cancel it for sure.

Bruce

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.