Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Antipode
I flew international into the US today and the 1 hour rule was not in effect. Also, despite the FA making an annoucement that the map would be turned off, it was, in fact, left on.
This is too funny, whenever they say its "on" it either isn't working at all for me or shows laughably wrong information - on my last 3 flights ex-Europe it starting with the "in flight" time showing in the 7-8 hour range. Why am I not surprised that it was on when they said it was off!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 29, 2009 at 2:48 pm Reason: fix html
Old Dec 29, 2009, 2:35 pm

Programs: UA Gold-1MM, SAS Diamond
Originally Posted by chuck1
Has anyone had the map and channel 9 on the outbound USA-international segment?
I flew IAD-FRA yesterday and the map and channel 9 were fine.
A lady was also permitted to do her "business" 20 minutes before landing, so...so far so good.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 3:03 pm

Programs: UA Plat 2MM, Delta Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott cardboard
Frau D and I are doing RDU-IAD-FRA-BCN-SVQ starting Jan 1. If the only painful leg is FRA-IAD on the return, I'll be happy.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by sensei

I think the logic behind that rule is that given the additional security prior to boarding, 1 piece slows down the process less than 2+ pieces would.
What about the inconvenience to business travels who were told, repeatedly, by United Airlines, that there would not be a change to the carry-on policy (one carry-on plus one personal item)?

Most seasoned and loyal travelers do not like to check their luggage. The carry-on system that was (is?) in place has worked quite well for many years.

Based on what I read, the terrorist did not have two pieces of carry-on luggage. In fact, he did not have any luggage which should have been a red flag considering that he also bought his one-way ticket to the U.S. with cash. But of course, these issues were ignored by various agencies.

In addition to the convenience of not checking luggage, there is assurance that luggage will not get lost en route, that damage will not happen to the contents of the luggage and that airline employees will not be able to steal items from unattended checked baggage.

If the issue of airline employees stealing from unattended checked baggage sounds paranoid, do a search on this board and you will see many postings in connection with items stolen or lost from checked luggage. Google will turn up many more such reports and criminal convictions for offending employees.

Bottom line - if it takes longer to search carry-on luggage of passengers, the airline should start the boarding process sooner to allow for the stupid searches.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 3:36 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K [0.280MM since Feb 25, '02], UA Red Carpet Club, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
When this board went all rabid following TSA's unnecessary directives, I was in the minority in urging patience, even predicting that all of this would quickly become a footnote in the annals of FT. It is over, folks. Things have returned to normal (at the discretion of the crew), as is evident from the fact that your perceived inconvenience is no longer top news, and the steady stream of reports indicating that CH9 and/or the map were on during inbound intl flights.

Let's give it a rest...
Old Dec 29, 2009, 3:49 pm

Programs: United 1K, BA Executive Club
I personally am not bothered about channel 9 - or even the map - but far more concerned about being stuck in my seat for last hour, and no access to personal possessions.

"At the crew's discretion" means this is likely to be totally inconsistent in its application....and does nothing to reassure me...
Old Dec 29, 2009, 4:00 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K [0.280MM since Feb 25, '02], UA Red Carpet Club, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by peterjs
I personally am not bothered about channel 9 - or even the map - but far more concerned about being stuck in my seat for last hour, and no access to personal possessions.

"At the crew's discretion" means this is likely to be totally inconsistent in its application....and does nothing to reassure me...
I am 99.9% certain that if you had "to go" no crew would stop you...but I am also sure that this would do nothing to reassure you. Please do relate your experience the next you actually fly!
Old Dec 29, 2009, 4:10 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, UA Silver, Mobile Passport Unobtanium
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
What about the inconvenience to business travels who were told, repeatedly, by United Airlines, that there would not be a change to the carry-on policy (one carry-on plus one personal item)?
What you're talking about has nothing to do with United Airlines. It's mandated by Canadian authorities for flights originating in Canada only.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 4:19 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, UA 1K, Avis PC
Flying domestically the other day a FA busted out yet another new policy. Not sure if this has been in effect since before December, but my wife and I were sitting in the exit row and instructed to read the exit row credentials, which seemed normal enough. Then, the FA explained that he would come back and ask us about details mentioned on the brochure.

Half-way joking, I asked if it was policy to come back and ask about the brochure. A few minutes later the FA produced a printout dated Dec 09 with such instructions. I apologized for doubting.

Is this new? Is this what FA's have been instructed to do all along? The FA usually just explains the requirements and asks if we are capable. It felt kind of funny to be 'quizzed' by a FA.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 4:43 pm

Now that the restrictions are basically at crew discretion, its much more important to keep United honest and make sure crews don't abuse their discretion and impose them unnecessarily (ie, ever.)

Please, if you have been on any flights starting today where any sort of 1hour-to-landing restriction was in place, post the details here and more importantly complain to United.

And UnitedPR, if you are reading, please make sure you communicate to your crews a company wide policy which does not allow for the arbitrary imposition of these pointless restrictions.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 5:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by dgcpaphd

Most seasoned and loyal travelers do not like to check their luggage. The carry-on system that was (is?) in place has worked quite well for many years.
. . .

In addition to the convenience of not checking luggage, there is assurance that luggage will not get lost en route, that damage will not happen to the contents of the luggage and that airline employees will not be able to steal items from unattended checked baggage.

I agree! I was disappointed to see that according to United's website, the one-bag rule is now in effect at FRA and Brussels as well.

Link:
http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,53307,00.html

I'm also disappointed to note that despite the new rules limiting hand luggage, I've seen no mention of any plans to enhance protection of checked luggage.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 5:14 pm

Programs: UAL 1K/1MM, Go Zags!
Originally Posted by CommittedLurker
EK has this on all seat back screens. They offer 2 views: a "cockpit" view as you mentioned and a view directly below. I don't know if they offer it on US flights though.

You're right. It's pretty neat.
SAS had this on their 767's years ago, it was a fun thing to play with.

This summer I was flying Iberian (Yechh!) out of MAD and they had a tail-cam that viewed out over the aircraft pointing forward. So you had this eye-in-the-sky view of the aircraft as it taxied down the runway.

Sadly they turned it off once we were airborn...
Old Dec 29, 2009, 5:26 pm

Programs: UA
Originally Posted by MsTravelBug
I agree! I was disappointed to see that according to United's website, the one-bag rule is now in effect at FRA and Brussels as well.

Link:

I'm also disappointed to note that despite the new rules limiting hand luggage, I've seen no mention of any plans to enhance protection of checked luggage.
Curious how they picked those airports based since a lot of other European ones are not on the list. Maybe the specific airports asked for it because of not having enough people doing the manual screening.
Old Dec 29, 2009, 6:13 pm

Originally Posted by German Expat
Curious how they picked those airports based since a lot of other European ones are not on the list. Maybe the specific airports asked for it because of not having enough people doing the manual screening.
I don't think that it is (yet) a FRA but a UA situation, nothing on the M+M forum nor the LH site; Fraport only 'requests' passengers to bring no carry on or things that they truly only need on the flight, in order to minimize wait times, on their site.

Außerdem sollten Passagiere möglichst kein Handgepäck mitnehmen bzw. nur Dinge mit an Bord nehmen, die tatsächlich während des Fluges benötigt werden. "Wir raten Reisenden, möglichst alles, also auch ihr Handgepäck, zusammen mit ihren Koffern beim Check-in aufzugeben. So können Wartezeiten verkürzt werden", erklärte ein Fraport-Sprecher.
http://www.fraport.de/cms/press/dok/...hafen_fran.htm
Old Dec 29, 2009, 6:15 pm

Programs: No Longer Anything
Originally Posted by MsTravelBug

Link:

SONOFA...!

I'm going thru FRA for my trip to CAI, both ways. Leaving in two weeks. I don't take huge carry-ons, but have my camera bag full of electronics and a small duffle. Now I will take a carry-on that is at the size limit and stick my two smaller bags in it. Stupid!

Thanks for the info though... maybe it will be gone in two weeks??

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.