Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2009, 4:41 pm

Originally Posted by PTravel

Thanks for the clarification. A couple of more questions:

1. Are there any new restrictions on in-cabin electronics?

2. Will I still be able to bring on board one carry-on plus one personal item?

3. Has UA stopped applying these restrictions on out-bound flights from the U.S.?

Thanks!
snip snip --

I have not seen an answer to this poster's questions. Has an answer been given?

I am particularly interested in whether we will still be able to bring on board one carry-on plus one personal item.

Is there anything definitive from TSA or United?

Thanks in advance for a response.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 4:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
snip snip --

I have not seen an answer to this poster's questions. Has an answer been given?

I am particularly interested in whether we will still be able to bring on board one carry-on plus one personal item.

Is there anything definitive from TSA or United?

Thanks in advance for a response.
The TSA has all along not changed the carry-on policy - I think it was only a select few carriers that chose to limit to one personal item in order to reduce the security check time.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by UnitedSkies
The TSA has all along not changed the carry-on policy - I think it was only a select few carriers that chose to limit to one personal item in order to reduce the security check time.

Is United one of those carriers?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 5:27 pm
1P

Location: LAX and LHR. UA lifetime Gold 1.9MM 1K , DL Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, Avis President's Club
According to the British Press this morning,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...d-to-know.html

it is only BA, Virgin and Delta that are restricting pax to one carry-on only. UA seems to not doing that.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 6:33 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Originally Posted by CarlTheWebmaster
UA 903 MUC-IAD today 28-Dec-09:
Screening at gate like most MUC - US flights IME, but no hand/wand scanning or pat down. Normal liquid bags + baby formula in sealed bottles (and some other small liquids e.g. medicines) all ok. We had slimmed down to one carryon each but they weren't restricting people -- and several had bags of duty free liquor.

IFE was working but no map. No Channel 9. I asked the FA if there was going to be any 'last hour' lockdown but she said they had gotten updates in the morning (yes) and then later at the airport (no). Apart from some light chop the seat belt sign was off until about 25-30 mins prior to landing.

Generally good flight in C, decent service and food.

Arrival at IAD, typical endless march down a dingy, narrow corridor to the mobile lounge, where clearly healthy, strong, young people practically muscled aside a mom holding her toddler to be close to the door. Immigration was well-manned and quick and luggage took about 10 minutes after immigration.

One observation: winter west bound TATLs seem to take A LOT LONGER when there is no map and no announcement of flight time -- even when you know the schedule. (All subjective).
Thanks for this. Very helpful. IAD is IAD. We can't change that.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:44 pm

Location: Alexandria, VA, USA NW Platinum Elite Since 1999, United GoldMM, Hyatt Plat, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz #1 Gold, IC Ambassador, Avis Chairman's
Sitting in first on UA838 TPE-NRT no issues with security other than extra x-ray at gate and a look in the shoes. IFE appears to be operating onboard.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd
Is United one of those carriers?
I have not seen or heard of any changes to United carry-on or checked-baggage policies since this all began.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 7:58 pm

Programs: LH FTL, EK Gold, AMEX Centurion, . HH Diamond, Ambassador Platinum,Sixt Diamond
[
QUOTE=1P;13070126]According to the British Press this morning,

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/ukne...d-to-know.html

it is only BA, Virgin and Delta that are restricting pax to one carry-on only. UA seems to not doing that.[/QUOTE
]

Air Canada ist restricting also heavily any carry on, but in my opinion not so much out of security issues but really also in order to get their flights out of Toronto e.g. as they have the most international US flights probably in the world... Air Canada is now restricting hand laggage to medicals devices, a laptop or purse etc. No more bags allowed or anything bulkier.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:15 pm

Programs: BA gold UA MM
UA 955 today LHR-SFO the initial security etc was fine - went through fast track (in F) and no one in queue. Then wandered down to gate at about 1030 (meant to be departing at 1115) and found a massive queue for specific UA security at the gate. When I got there they were still processing the LAX flight. In all waited about 45 mins (despite F and C being called separately). Flight left about 90 mins late by the time everyone boarded. All bags were searched and everyone had a pat down but there didn't appear to be a one bag rule although most people only had one.

On board had normal IFE and seat belt sign came on about 10 mins early due to turbulence not security. Only differences were no channel 9 and no map. As previously stated it does seem to make the flight seem longer!!!!
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold
"To comply with the current TSA security directive, Channel 9 is turned off on international flights inbound to the U.S."

Yet another IDIOTIC and pointless American knee jerk reaction.

WHAT does this have to do with a Nigerian allegedly carrying some kind of alleged explosive?

If Osama wants to ROTFLHAO for weeks, he'll con some idiot kid to secret something into the USA in a certain body cavity.

Don't the TSA realise how DUMB and totally pointless their foolish responses are to all these goofball attempts?

That is a rhetorical question.

Last edited by ozstamps; Dec 28, 2009 at 9:01 pm
Old Dec 28, 2009, 8:57 pm

-are they allowed to announce the flying time from an international port to a US destination prior to take-off?

-is the no map/channel 9 international to US a United decision? I've read that some carriers are using their maps on inbound US flights.

-do they allow map/channel 9 on flights from the US or did they have to turn the whole map system off? Just wondering if it can be disabled on the inbound flight?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:01 pm

Programs: Lifetime Levels in AA & Marriott
Originally Posted by ozstamps
"To comply with the current TSA security directive, Channel 9 is turned off on international flights inbound to the U.S."
And unfortunately for United, this may be the proverbial straw that broke the camels back - one of the two reason I flew UA; not so sure 2010 will bring UA any Int. business with CH9 gone.

And yes, I'm letting them know! ^
Old Dec 28, 2009, 9:11 pm

Programs: UA MP/UC - "RIP Tulip Plat"
Originally Posted by United PR
Yes, we hear you and along with other U.S. airlines, we are all uniting under our industry's governing body, the Air Transport Association in Washington D.C.
Thank you for that! ^

While, of course saftey is of upmost priority, we seriously need to tackle this issue with more brains than random reactions. It's good to know UA is ontop of everything.

Of course ch9 leaving the international sector is a real downer. I hope this is only temporary because, as the poster above me said, it's a fundemental reason why people fly UA.

Last edited by UAL4life; Dec 28, 2009 at 9:28 pm
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:07 pm

Programs: UA 1K
CH 9 is off many times anyway

Whenever I have flown SFO-FRA and back, Ch 9 has only been rarely on. The one time it was one, once we crossed the Atlantic, it was dead silence. Then, you get all the Scottish ATC's coming on, and I can barely understand them anyway, as we got over the UK. I don't know that I would miss Ch 9 since it is so infrequently on for international flights.

I will say that having ch9 on and the map is one of the most fun things about UA. It makes you feel like a kid again, and it brings back the excitement of flying. It will be too bad those two things will be gone.

I am happy that IFE is turned back on, though. Yay United!
Old Dec 28, 2009, 10:30 pm

Programs: UA MM
Originally Posted by SFflyer123
Whenever I have flown SFO-FRA and back, Ch 9 has only been rarely on. The one time it was one, once we crossed the Atlantic, it was dead silence. Then, you get all the Scottish ATC's coming on, and I can barely understand them anyway, as we got over the UK. I don't know that I would miss Ch 9 since it is so infrequently on for international flights.
Position reports to Iceland Radio are actually kinda cool -- if a bit like Chinese water torture in their infrequency. Scottish ATC is plenty of fun, so not sure where you're coming from there.

Originally Posted by ozstamps

Yet another IDIOTIC and pointless American knee jerk reaction.
Yes, as opposed to all those enlightened non-American countries where you can today listen to ATC on the IFE. I'm sure no QANTAS flight this year has disabled the feed of ATC to the passengers.

(Completely agree that it's pointless, but it's 100% consistent with the rest of the pointless "no geo-positional disclosure" rules.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.