Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K [0.280MM since Feb 25, '02], UA Red Carpet Club, HH Diamond, CBP Global Entry
Originally Posted by United PR
Yes, we hear you and along with other U.S. airlines, we are all uniting under our industry's governing body, the Air Transport Association in Washington D.C.
Thank you for the update. Happy to hear that the airlines and ATA are united, as this bodes well for the prospect that in the wake of the incident aboard NW-253 sensible measures would be found to preserve travelers' comfort while enhancing safety. There was perhaps too much of a rush to "shoot the messenger" following TSA's initial directives that seemed unnecessarily too restrictive.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:06 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
United PR, thanks very much for the update. Glad to hear United is working with others to respond.

I was in the midst of planning 2 international trips for this spring and have placed both on hold for now because of the latest ill-conceived "security" measures (particularly additional restrictions on hand luggage out of LHR and potential loss of IFE).
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:12 pm

Programs: UA G
After talking it over with friends, our standard Spring trip (last year was South America and the year before was Europe) is now on hold until we get a clearer picture of how painful traveling will be. Hopefully things get clear in the next few weeks so that we can resume planning. Until then...
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:13 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH Oil & Energy Club
Wanted to clarify some topics mentioned in this thread.

Shortly after the situation on the flight from Amsterdam to Detroit, we temporarily disconnected the IFE on IPTE flights inbound into the U.S. We did this to immediately comply with a component of the new TSA security directive. If we were not able to comply, we likely would have had to cancel the flights that were scheduled to depart shortly after the directive was issued.

As more time progressed between when the directive was issued and when our next bank of international flights departed, we were able to turn off the GPS portion of the IPTE IFE system and keep the remainder of it in operation. IFE on IPTE (B767 and B747) is now in operation and continues to be on the B777s.

For those of you who were inconvenienced during this short interim phase, Customer Relations will be reaching out to you to apologize with a goodwill gesture.

To comply with the current TSA security directive, Channel 9 is turned off on international flights inbound to the U.S.

All this aside, we hope you had a nice holiday.

thanks for this post, I have one question then. You mention about turning off the IFE only for inbound international flights, on 12/26 I was one of your inconvenienced passengers who used 3 SWU's to upgrade Dad, Brother and myself on an outbound international flight (UA881 ORD-NRT) in which they turned off the IFE. Was the shutdown supposed to be for outbound international flights or just inbound?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL Plat,Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Marriott PP, National EE,Hertz PC
Yes, we hear you and along with other U.S. airlines, we are all uniting under our industry's governing body, the Air Transport Association in Washington D.C.
UnitedPR - thank you and good to hear.

An offer that I suspect will be well received: if UA or the ATA need passengers to aid in lobbying efforts - either through petitions or contacting policymakers, I suspect that a request on this board (and others on FT) will generate thousands of supporting statements in short order.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:35 pm

Programs: United 2P
LHR-IAD

Home now after hopping the pond this morning on UA-923:

The Bad: 1+ hour delay in LHR because of additional security pat-downs and complete inspection of carry-ons. Everything was opened and examined. For every single passenger. I don't think there were more than 18 pax in the front, while E was packed to the gills. Meh.

The Good: We arrived in time to catch our connecting flight, after a mad dash from arrivals down to the other end of C. The pilots must have had the throttle pegged to make up some lost time. IFE was turned on and everything was working. The maps on our seats in E+ was not working, but I noticed that it was working on several other seats. Aircrew made announcements when we landed and there were no restrictions (e.g., no stay-in-seat requirement, books and pillows and blankets in laps, reading lights were working, etc.), The aircrew was also exceedingly helpful and polite.

The Ugly: UA managed to lose 50% of our luggage (we each ended up with 1/2 of our checked bags at our destination) between us clearing customs and making our connecting flight. Bonus points for the claim tags not having been scanned into the system anywhere. My prized 1-liter of duty-free single malt languishes somewhere in the system, alone and in the dark.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 3:42 pm

Programs: Grounded
^^^

I still plan on writing in to my various congressmen/senators anyway, unless there's a similar passenger rights/interest group in this matter.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 4:11 pm

Programs: UA Stew
TSA has officially relaxed the rules. There's an article on yahoo, but I suckity suck at pasting so I won't try. Hallelujah! No more pillow and blanket patrol!!!!!!!!! United PR, I appreciate your responses. I wish we had one of you on every flight....
Old Dec 28, 2009, 4:14 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 1MM
Originally Posted by lsutgr
There's an article on yahoo, but I suckity suck at pasting so I won't try.
Presumably you mean this one?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Ill admit Ive been very critical of the ATA on certain subjects, but Im glad to hear this news. ^
Old Dec 28, 2009, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA MM, AS MVPG75K, Marriott Lifetime Gold
Is Ch9 back on?
Old Dec 28, 2009, 4:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by ChrisS_SYR

The Ugly: UA managed to lose 50% of our luggage (we each ended up with 1/2 of our checked bags at our destination) between us clearing customs and making our connecting flight. Bonus points for the claim tags not having been scanned into the system anywhere. My prized 1-liter of duty-free single malt languishes somewhere in the system, alone and in the dark.
Unfortunately, your prized scotch may have found a new home with a TSA employee or baggage handler. The inability to protect checked baggage from theft, damage, or delay, when combined with LHR's return to the single bag rule (no more one bag plus one personal item) is the primary reason why I'm avoiding non-essential travel ex-LHR. In your case, I hope I'm wrong and that you are reunited with the single malt soon.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 4:31 pm

Programs: UA MP 1K
Great news (was getting worried since I am flying first to LHR in mid-January and then to HKG the next week). Thanks UnitedPR!
Old Dec 28, 2009, 4:32 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by bmvaughn
Is Ch9 back on?
To comply with the current TSA security directive, Channel 9 is turned off on international flights inbound to the U.S.
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver
Domestically, there is no change in CH 9 operations. It will still be up to the captain's discretion.
Old Dec 28, 2009, 4:40 pm

Programs: UA 1MM *G (recovered GS), SPG Nothing, Hilton Nothing, AA Nothing
UA 903 MUC-IAD today 28-Dec-09:
Screening at gate like most MUC - US flights IME, but no hand/wand scanning or pat down. Normal liquid bags + baby formula in sealed bottles (and some other small liquids e.g. medicines) all ok. We had slimmed down to one carryon each but they weren't restricting people -- and several had bags of duty free liquor.

IFE was working but no map. No Channel 9. I asked the FA if there was going to be any 'last hour' lockdown but she said they had gotten updates in the morning (yes) and then later at the airport (no). Apart from some light chop the seat belt sign was off until about 25-30 mins prior to landing.

Generally good flight in C, decent service and food.

Arrival at IAD, typical endless march down a dingy, narrow corridor to the mobile lounge, where clearly healthy, strong, young people practically muscled aside a mom holding her toddler to be close to the door. Immigration was well-manned and quick and luggage took about 10 minutes after immigration.

One observation: winter west bound TATLs seem to take A LOT LONGER when there is no map and no announcement of flight time -- even when you know the schedule. (All subjective).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.