Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Dec '09 UA Security Procedures-operational changes on INTERNATIONAL flights? [Merged]

Old Dec 27, 09, 3:29 pm

Programs: MileagePlus
Originally Posted by GadgetFreak View Post
I agree. The movies are mostly crap and seem to be edited on top of that. I like the airshow. So I have no life but I actually enjoy watching the damn thing.
Yep, the Airshow is my IFE. No matter what else I am doing I do like to glance up at the screen to see the position every so often. It is probably my favorite thing especially when traveling internationally. I hope it is not gone for good.
Old Dec 27, 09, 3:31 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dgcpaphd View Post
What do you suppose good it is to write to 1K voice?
If enough frequent fliers complain, perhaps the airlines will develop a backbone and protest these inane and useless new rules.

Requiring people to remain in their seats for the last 60 minutes of an international flight is both stupid and ineffective. A potential terrorist will simply get up at 75 minutes before landing, if that is his plan, retrieve the potential bomb that should have never made it on board in the first place, and presto, another stupid TSA rule is overcome.

The reality of a 60 minute "no stand" requirement for an international arrival at Washington Dulles means that a passenger won't be able to use a restroom for almost 90 minutes. Some people simply need to urinate more frequently that others. Does United intend to force people to soil themselves?

Simply put, turning off all IFE is going to drive people away from United to airlines that have power to seats in coach - which United's aircraft currently lack. Moreover, how does IFE even post a security risk? The route map? Come on, any one with a watch can calculate when an aircraft makes landfall after an overwater flight.

Last edited by l etoile; Dec 27, 09 at 10:19 pm Reason: removed now-deleted quotes
Old Dec 27, 09, 3:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH Oil & Energy Club
Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia View Post
Care to explain? It's 2 days since the events. TSA has obviously given the airlines these orders. What exactly has United or any other airline done (or not done) that hasn't been up to your standards?
How about no mention to any passengers at check-in, while entering the RCC or at the gate boarding the flight that they have shut off the IFE! As I mentioned in my other posts on this thread (like around post 11) I flew UA 881 ORD-NRT (12/26) and we didn't find out till we over heard a FA telling another passenger that the IFE will be off for the entire flight. I could have purchased some books and magazines right there in ORD and I would have been content on the flight but I was just pissed off b/c I had used 3 swu's and this was the first experience in C class for my Dad and Brother!

Is there any mention on .bomb about the possibility of IFE being shut off? I haven't seen any.
Old Dec 27, 09, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Plat, SPG Platinum, National Executive
Originally Posted by VTHokieFlyer View Post
How about no mention to any passengers at check-in, while entering the RCC or at the gate boarding the flight that they have shut off the IFE! As I mentioned in my other posts on this thread (like around post 11) I flew UA 881 ORD-NRT (12/26) and we didn't find out till we over heard a FA telling another passenger that the IFE will be off for the entire flight. I could have purchased some books and magazines right there in ORD and I would have been content on the flight but I was just pissed off b/c I had used 3 swu's and this was the first experience in C class for my Dad and Brother!

Is there any mention on .bomb about the possibility of IFE being shut off? I haven't seen any.
Once again, these "changes" are as of yesterday. The TSA themselves have not officially said anything, but there have been numerous reports on multiple airlines about no IFE. I'd be willing to bet that not even all the TA's and RCC agents even know about the changes.

There is even proof of UA giving compensation for something that the government has ordered them to do. IMO, UA is doing everything they can given the circumstances.
Old Dec 27, 09, 3:43 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus; Hawaiian Miles; WN Rapid Rewards A list
I agree with the posts that say that we shouldn't foist the blame for these current restrictions on UA since the rules apparently are coming from TSA....but in the past, hasn't UA sometimes taken the security rules a notch beyond what TSA requirements? Do the feds require that you use the bathroom in your "ticketed" cabin as UA implies during the opening announcement, or is that UA just trying to use the feds as support for their policy?
Old Dec 27, 09, 3:46 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
I have not heard a single person praise the TSA for this -- and you can include me in the group that feels this does little for travel safety.
What I have suggested is much of this will dissipate and "punishing" the airlines seems to be counterproductive. Do we want to see airlines go through another financial stress period -- not much good for the traveller came out of that last time.

Originally Posted by FiveMileFinal View Post
..... Because United is being just as mindless in its response, that's why....
And as a general comment to many other posts -- it is not just UA, read the all the posting and news reports. This is a number (all?) of airlines (but not all the routes) responding to TSA directives.

(a) No, it's not clear at all when this IFE mess will be cleared up, mainly because nobody's said anything (meanwhile, I bet any future terrorists know what's up )
as has been reported earlier in this thread -- UA has tweeted
Sorry, have 2 comply w/ TSA directive. Only impacted seven or so int'l flights. Have since found a fix to keep IFE w/out GPS.
Perhaps it might not be as much as a disaster that you are making it out to be.
....(b) I read and buy books and magazines for flying all the time, but now won't be able to read them for the last hour of the flight due to this nonsense....
My guess is this will be among first to be restored.

Understand the upsetness with the TSA directives -- do not understand the anger at UA or any other airline.

Time for a nice glass of wine

Last edited by l etoile; Dec 27, 09 at 10:16 pm Reason: removed now-deleted quote
Old Dec 27, 09, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA GS
Unhappy

I live in Japan and in the US for the holidays.
We upgraded to C for the trip and it will be a long trip home with a six year old looking at those nice 15" black screens.
I hope they figure it out or get some common sense in the next few days (but I'm not that hopeful)
Old Dec 27, 09, 3:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

GOOD NEWS! IFE fix found

Looks like we have a fair bit of good news!

UA just tweeted:

@techgirltx Sorry, have 2 comply w/ TSA directive. Only impacted seven or so int'l flights. Have since found a fix to keep IFE w/out GPS.

http://twitter.com/UnitedAirlines/status/7098305109

So it looks like IFE is back on but Airshow will remain off - not much you can do about Airshow - that's in DHS and TSA's hands. But at least flights should still have IFE...
Old Dec 27, 09, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA 2MM Yay!, UA MM, Costco General Member
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
I have not heard a single person praise the TSA for this -- and you can include me in the group that feels this does little for travel safety.
What I have suggested is much of this will dissipate and "punishing" the airlines seems to be counterproductive. Do we want to see airlines go through another financial stress period -- not much good for the traveller came out of that last time.

And as a general comment to many other posts -- it is not just UA, read the all the posting and news reports. This is a number (all?) of airlines (but not all the routes) responding to TSA directives.

as has been reported earlier in this thread -- UA has tweeted Perhaps it might not be as much as a disaster that you are making it out to be.
My guess is this will be among first to be restored.

Understand the upsetness with the TSA directives -- do not understand the anger at UA or any other airline.
Just to clarify. I am not "angry" at UA. However, if UA is enforcing rules more aggressively than other carriers I will fly the other carriers. If all carriers are enforcing these rules I will very possible fly less. Much of my travel, while for business, is for conferences and such. They have value but also have costs associated with them. Making the flights miserable and less productive shifts the value proposition. Its business, not personal
Old Dec 27, 09, 3:53 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Just to clarify. I am not "angry" at UA. However, if UA is enforcing rules more aggressively than other carriers I will fly the other carriers. If all carriers are enforcing these rules I will very possible fly less. ....
and why do you think UA is more aggressive on this? Scanning the net it appears there are numerous reports of other airlines that have responded to TSA directives?
Old Dec 27, 09, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by UAX_Brasilia View Post
Once again, these "changes" are as of yesterday. The TSA themselves have not officially said anything, but there have been numerous reports on multiple airlines about no IFE. I'd be willing to bet that not even all the TA's and RCC agents even know about the changes.

There is even proof of UA giving compensation for something that the government has ordered them to do. IMO, UA is doing everything they can given the circumstances.

they gave us skykits on the flight...

my point is that people at UA know about this, not like no one knows what is going on then magically they turn off the IFE... I don't think it's too much to ask to let us know at least at the gate that the IFE might be turned off.
Old Dec 27, 09, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA View Post
and why do you think UA is more aggressive on this? Scanning the net it appears there are numerous reports of other airlines that have responded to TSA directives?
For one, there have been reports of it happening on outbound flights as well as inbound, with only the latter effected by the recent TSA mandate from what I can tell. But I have said it is in flux now and I am waiting to see how it develops. Even assuming that the airlines are the same, that might make me fly less, depending on what the situation is. I dont see why this is such an issue to you. If flying is fun, I fly more, if it sucks, I fly less. That seems sort of obvious to me. Im not getting why there is an argument to be honest. Im not compelled to fly because I owe UA something.
Old Dec 27, 09, 4:00 pm

Originally Posted by UnitedSkies View Post
All, please read UA's latest tweet that I posted above about having found a fix for keeping IFE while disabling the map....
how does it only impact 7 or so international flights... aren't there more than 7 flights that have the new C seats on them?
Old Dec 27, 09, 4:06 pm

Programs: Doing it for the lie flat. Kayaker/Google Flighter, CX Silver. Going free agent in 2020
Just to clarify. I am not "angry" at UA. However, if UA is enforcing rules more aggressively than other carriers I will fly the other carriers. If all carriers are enforcing these rules I will very possible fly less. Much of my travel, while for business, is for conferences and such. They have value but also have costs associated with them. Making the flights miserable and less productive shifts the value proposition. Its business, not personal
This sums up exactly how I feel.

I'm not mad at United either. There's simply no point in subjecting myself to a worsening travel experience just so I can be somewhere, particularly when I can be just as effective using videoconferencing and web tools.

The large telecommunications company I used to work for was very keen on people not traveling for business. Now that I'm on my own, I have to make sure every minute I spend on an airplane is worth it for my business. And it makes no financial sense for me to spend money to be subjected to these arbitrary rules, all in the name of "safety."

United won't do anything unless enough people come to that decision and act on it. And while they can't ignore TSA rules, they can certainly lobby the TSA to pull their heads out of their rear ends.
Old Dec 27, 09, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by VTHokieFlyer View Post
how does it only impact 7 or so international flights... aren't there more than 7 flights that have the new C seats on them?
Some had on board electronics that enabled the shutdown of the map data without impacting IFE. There have been reports of AA flights with IFE but no cabin lights because they were shutdown with the map. Depends on how each plane is wired.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: