FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Disappointing cabin condition in 757s on LAX-ORD route (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1031983-disappointing-cabin-condition-757s-lax-ord-route.html)

LyfeSaver Dec 25, 2009 10:25 pm

Disappointing cabin condition in 757s on LAX-ORD route

I've been flying LAX-ORD and lately have noticed the disgusting conditions in 757s both in economy and first. I can see stains of brown liquid on the walls and near where the cabin lights are from my seat. In 1A yesterday to ORD i saw what seemed like a piece of plastic just sort of "stuck" barely making appearance as a part of the plane inside.... Twice in a row, my seat in F have had non-functioning speaker outlet and broken headrests... Are most of 757 non p.s.'s like this these days?

jhayes_1780 Dec 25, 2009 10:36 pm

Originally Posted by Auracon (Post 13054528)
Are most of 757 non p.s.'s like this these days?

Some, but not all.

IMhO, they are still in better condition then the 737's were.

FWIW, UA has one refurbished (non-PS)752, and based on customer input/satisfaction of that refurb, they have indicated they may do the rest (or some) of the 752 fleet in that style.

ECOTONE Dec 25, 2009 10:40 pm

752's are hit or miss in my experience. in all honesty, most of the flights i take on the 752s are short enough that the cabin quality usually doesn't make much of a difference to me. usually too busy working.

TT-Jones Dec 26, 2009 4:03 am

The crappy ones are obviously still flying. ;)

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...isgusting.html

jcanning Dec 26, 2009 4:46 am

I flew on a 757 in early December where at least one seat in every row in F was broken and taped off with duct tape. Many of them were missing their seat cushions or had the cushions turned upside down. The ambiance was really weird.

BOS757 Dec 26, 2009 7:44 am

I must have had good luck lately. Noticeably cleaner interiors in Oct/Nov of this year on the 757's that I've been on. For some strange reason I get a lot of the ETOPS birds from ORD-BOS as well, very clean, new paint job.

BOS757 Dec 26, 2009 7:51 am

I must have had good luck lately. Noticeably cleaner interiors in Oct/Nov of this year on the 757's that I've been on. For some strange reason I get a lot of the ETOPS birds from ORD-BOS as well, very clean, new paint job.

Dalat767 Dec 26, 2009 8:00 am

Originally Posted by jcanning (Post 13055181)
I flew on a 757 in early December where at least one seat in every row in F was broken and taped off with duct tape. Many of them were missing their seat cushions or had the cushions turned upside down. The ambiance was really weird.

+1. There were three seats in F are out of service and two of them were broken and taped off. In addition, the flight was over sold and they did ask couple passengers to volunteer for a free roundtrip within the US, excluding AK and HI.

UnitedSkies Dec 26, 2009 9:15 am

Originally Posted by BOS757 (Post 13055544)

Same here - I've noticed a remarkable difference in cabin condition from seats to carpets to lavatories in the past 6-9 months.

why fly Dec 26, 2009 9:17 am

I have been on some UA refurbished 757 and its a huge improvement.

Jgish Dec 26, 2009 11:13 am

Folks, it's not just the 75s...I've seen duct tape in "new" F on recabined 744s. But, I've also seen messes in LH and SQ F that somehow were missed by the cleaning crew. The difference between UA and SQ & LH here is that when you point it out on SQ or LH, something will get done about it. On UA the FA or purser will take the report, but then the MX or cleaning crews may or may not take action. On SQ, the horrified service manager will grovel and call up an army of FAs to resolve.

The fleet is generally in poor shape...age is showing.

hiflyer66 Dec 26, 2009 12:05 pm

Originally Posted by Jgish (Post 13056444)

I wonder if the condition/age of the aircraft is in any way correlated to the fact that United has been hemorrhaging cash for the past nine (9) years. :confused:

windchill Dec 26, 2009 3:28 pm

The conditions of the cabins have improved greatly over the last 6 months and if that earns someone some recognition, then so be it. Customers notice little changes in cleanliness, employee attitudes, and smoother operations. The last 6 months on UA have better then the previous 24. UA is continuing to earn my business over AA or DL because Management is finally starting to react to the survey results and trying to earn money versus only cutting costs.

FreFly Dec 26, 2009 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by Jgish (Post 13056444)
Folks, it's not just the 75s...I've seen duct tape in "new" F on recabined 744s. But, I've also seen messes in LH and SQ F that somehow were missed by the cleaning crew. The difference between UA and SQ & LH here is that when you point it out on SQ or LH, something will get done about it. On UA the FA or purser will take the report, but then the MX or cleaning crews may or may not take action. On SQ, the horrified service manager will grovel and call up an army of FAs to resolve.

Clearly it is not age but maintenance standards. Have you seen duct tape in LH or SQ F?

777Brian Dec 26, 2009 4:19 pm

I've generally been pleased with conditions of UA planes, especially the 757. After spending time on AA 757s (and some Airtran 737s) I'd be more than happy to get on any plane in the UA fleet.

On my way home from Christmas I was on a 757 with new leather FC seats. I did a double take as we boarded the plan, as I was turning left I noticed the leather and was excited to be on the one 757 doing the new interior test but I quickly noticed that coach was the standard seats, no leather no slim line seats. So looks like there may be some other tests or plans out there. In general I thought the seats were pretty comfortable but didn't breathe as nice as the cloth - comfortable enough for the DEN-SEA flight.