Do you use OLCI? Why or why not? [Merged]

Old Dec 23, 09, 4:04 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Do you use OLCI? Why or why not? [Merged]

Just wondering, how many folks out there use OLCI for their UA/UAX flights? Since there is typically no bonus miles for using OLCI, even when I don't have a bag to check, I check-in with EasyChicken at the airport...when I board, most folks in the Prem Ex or First class boarding group all seem to have regular boarding passes so even if they're checking in online, they still must have taken the time to stop at EasyChicken for a regular boarding pass. Unless I am on a MR and have an immediate turn, I don't really see the point in using my own paper and printer ink to print off a boarding pass that is 3x the size of a regular boarding pass--especially when it usually takes a 30 second stop (at the non-ticket counter) Easy Chickens to check-in and print boarding passes...besides, going through all the touch screen options is a good way to pass the time and check if that middle seat is still empty
Old Dec 23, 09, 4:06 pm

Programs: UA Gold, Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Diamond, SPG Platinum
You should always OLCI. CI time factors into your position on standby and upgrade lists.
Old Dec 23, 09, 4:07 pm

Programs: Last 1K flight 1/21/11; fun while it lasted, 1P in 2011, Plat for 2012,13,14,15 & 2016. Gold in 17 &
Originally Posted by PDXPremier View Post
Just wondering, how many folks out there use OLCI for their UA/UAX flights? Since there is typically no bonus miles for using OLCI, even when I don't have a bag to check, I check-in with EasyChicken at the airport...when I board, most folks in the Prem Ex or First class boarding group all seem to have regular boarding passes so even if they're checking in online, they still must have taken the time to stop at EasyChicken for a regular boarding pass. Unless I am on a MR and have an immediate turn, I don't really see the point in using my own paper and printer ink to print off a boarding pass that is 3x the size of a regular boarding pass--especially when it usually takes a 30 second stop (at the non-ticket counter) Easy Chickens to check-in and print boarding passes...besides, going through all the touch screen options is a good way to pass the time and check if that middle seat is still empty
I check in early & often. Seriously. I do OLCI at home and then check in again at the airport. Why? Because you never know when UA might throw you a bone or provide an attractive alternative to your original itin, and I want to give them every chance to do so.
Old Dec 23, 09, 4:12 pm

Programs: Fomerly UA 1K, now Gold... next year, who knows?
Just a couple weeks ago, I had an aisle seat for a LAX-JFK, but it was in the middle of Y cabin (19C). Seat map showed the cabin full except for 2 open seats.

At the 24 hour mark, I went to OLCI, and at that moment 6-8 seats opened up, including 15D, which I nabbed.

Prior to that, sometimes I did OLCI, and other times I waited until I got to airport. Now I'm a convert.
Old Dec 23, 09, 4:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, BW Plat, Marriott Gold, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by HedgeFundie View Post
You should always OLCI. CI time factors into your position on standby and upgrade lists.
All my upgrades (knock on wood) have cleared prior to 24 hours this year (typically around the 72 hour window), but yeah, if they didn't and went waitlisted, OLCI would be a must--good point.
Old Dec 23, 09, 4:24 pm

Programs: UA 1K, NW forever
I always OLCI and save a PDF of the BP to my computer. Then I don't have to worry about saving the stub in case I need it for reimbursement, retro credit, etc.
Old Dec 23, 09, 4:25 pm

Programs: UA Plat, HH Diamond
The main reason I OLCI is that you never know (a) when traffic will be bad, when the train is delayed, or some other circumstances conspire to keep you from getting to the airport with that nice 1 hour cushion you thougt you'd have and (b) when there's some problem with your BP that will keep you from easily checking in. If you're going to have a problem, you want to have it at T-24 hours, not standing at a Chicken with 15 minutes to boarding, then getting a message you have to stand in line to see an agent.

Always, always, always OLCI.
Old Dec 23, 09, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K1.5MM, Hyatt Globalist, abandoned Marriott LTT (RIP SPG), Hertz PC
I do, but mainly for traffic reasons - you never know in the NYC area when random jams or accidents will pop up on the way to the airport. One less thing to do, don't have to be there at the 45 min cutoff either.
Old Dec 23, 09, 4:28 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
I use OLCI because I am a worrywart. There have been a few times when I didn't use OLCI and was late in getting to the airport (overslept, traffic, airport shuttle, etc.) A few times, I've had to have an agent manually check me in because I was cutting it too close to the cutoff and then had to hustle through security. All those times, I ended up stressing myself out and I figured I would do myself a favor and take the peace of mind that comes with doing OLCI. Thanks to FT, I know to uncheck myself if my upgrade clears and most of the time I don't bother printing the OLCI boarding pass and just use a kiosk or agent to print the cardstock passes.
Old Dec 23, 09, 4:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold, DL Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood Gold, too many cruise programs to list
Originally Posted by Mike Jacoubowsky View Post
I check in early & often. Seriously. I do OLCI at home and then check in again at the airport. Why? Because you never know when UA might throw you a bone or provide an attractive alternative to your original itin, and I want to give them every chance to do so.
+1

Originally Posted by dfreeman02 View Post
I always OLCI and save a PDF of the BP to my computer. Then I don't have to worry about saving the stub in case I need it for reimbursement, retro credit, etc.
What a great idea!

Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian View Post
Thanks to FT, I know to uncheck myself if my upgrade clears and most of the time I don't bother printing the OLCI boarding pass and just use a kiosk or agent to print the cardstock passes.
FH, how do you uncheck yourself? Can that be done online? I've always had a GA or RCC CS agent do it for me if I get the EasyUpdate notice.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 23, 09 at 5:01 pm Reason: names were changed to protect the innocent
Old Dec 23, 09, 4:45 pm

Not usually

I usually don't use OLCI and try checking in between 45-30 mins prior to the flight using the airport kiosk. My reasoning is that on several occasions when checking in using the kiosk, I've been op-upgraded. I think it's easier for them to process op-up for passengers that are not checked in. I could be totally wrong and maybe someone can clarify my logic.
Old Dec 23, 09, 4:50 pm

Programs: UA1K MM, LH Senator, HH Plat, Priority Club Gold, UA RCC, Global Entry
Always use OLCI. Takes away any concerns I have regarding getting to the airport on time and I usually find out if my upgrade cleared if it was still pending.
Old Dec 23, 09, 5:00 pm

Programs: United Mileage Plus 1K 2 MM, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by as219 View Post
The main reason I OLCI is that you never know (a) when traffic will be bad, when the train is delayed, or some other circumstances conspire to keep you from getting to the airport with that nice 1 hour cushion you thought you'd have and (b) when there's some problem with your BP that will keep you from easily checking in. If you're going to have a problem, you want to have it at T-24 hours, not standing at a Chicken with 15 minutes to boarding, then getting a message you have to stand in line to see an agent.

Always, always, always OLCI.
++++1! I like having that upgraded BP the day before my flight, and knowing that, so far, so good. This produces a "calming" effect.
Old Dec 23, 09, 5:11 pm

Programs: AA, IHG
When flying out of my favorite EAS station, SHD, I don't do OLCI. Why? Because when I do, they can only reprint a boarding pass for the first SHD-IAD leg of my journey - then I'm forced to use the receipt-paper printers at IAD to reprint the rest of my BPs. No real advantage there.

When flying out of other stations, I will only OLCI if I'll be cutting it close in getting to the airport. I just think it's more satisfying to check-in at the airport. Also, If something comes up where you need reservations to mess with your PNR, you won't run into issues where they can't change segments that you're already checked-in for.
Old Dec 23, 09, 5:15 pm
Moderator: Hawaii-based airlines & Hawai'i forums

Programs: NEXUS/Global Entry, Delta, United, Hyatt, IHG, Marriott, and Hertz
Originally Posted by BurBunny View Post
FH, how do you uncheck yourself? Can that be done online? I've always had a GA or RCC CS agent do it for me if I get the EasyUpdate notice.
Yes, I believe there is now an option online that you can use (I am sure someone can confirm this or let me know if I am mistaken). You can also call Web Support on the number printed on the BP.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ch-merged.html

Search this Thread
Search Engine: