Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you use OLCI? Why or why not? [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Dec 23, 2009, 4:19 pm

Programs: UA 1K
I do OLCI as often and as early as possible.

Biggest reason - I've had seat assignments and upgrades disappear in between the 24 hour mark and check-in. But not once I've checked in.

As also mentioned, doing for the upgrade list is good too, but it's never gone down to that level of tiebreaker for me.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 6:59 pm

Programs: UA, AA, Hilton, Marriott
Originally Posted by FlyinHawaiian
Yes, I believe there is now an option online that you can use (I am sure someone can confirm this or let me know if I am mistaken). You can also call Web Support on the number printed on the BP.

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ch-merged.html
Confirmed...I am checked in for my flight tomorrow and below the status of each flight it has a link to cancel check in.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 7:10 pm

Originally Posted by dfreeman02
I always OLCI and save a PDF of the BP to my computer. Then I don't have to worry about saving the stub in case I need it for reimbursement, retro credit, etc.
I do the same exact thing... got to love print to pdf...
Old Dec 23, 2009, 7:18 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by RedHeadFlyer
I do OLCI as often and as early as possible.

Biggest reason - I've had seat assignments and upgrades disappear in between the 24 hour mark and check-in. But not once I've checked in.

As also mentioned, doing for the upgrade list is good too, but it's never gone down to that level of tiebreaker for me.
Same here. The only time I didn't use OLCI was earlier this year during the middle of a trip and because of it, I lost some prime seats due to a computer belch.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 8:01 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, SPG, Hyatt
Yes.

Number 1, because I want to be among the first to look at the seatmap when the flight is "open" for check-in, which is not always the same as pre-open. More seats open up, and this is an issue if I'm not satisfied with my seat, which happened pretty much every flight I took in 2009 because I booked my flights fairly late.

Number 2, after status and fare basis code, time of check-in matters. If I and another 1K are both on, say, T fares and standing by for and upgrade on IAD-LAX, the one who checked in first gets it. If there's just one seat remaining between the two of us, I'd kinda like the seat to go to me.

If, however, I'm already upgraded and have a seat I'm happy with, I may be less inclined to use it, but so far that's rare.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 8:03 pm

Programs: AS 100K, UA MM, AA MM, IC Plat Amb, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Explorist
I usually check in at T-24 in order to get the best shot at upgrades. On my last UA MR for the year, my outbound segments were upgraded days in advance, so I didn't feel the need to check in early.

As luck would have it, one of my return segments cancelled. UA rebooked me on an alternative flight, but at that point my PNR was majorly screwed up, and OLCI didn't work. Instead of getting to the airport at 5:00am for my 5:50am flight, I had to get there a half-hour earlier (at 4:30am) to stand in line for an agent check me in.

If I had checked in at T-24, I would have had a BP to get through security -- and I would have been able to get an extra half-hour of sleep! So, yes, I will always try to use OLCI if only for that reason.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 9:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond
OLCI is a good idea, as noted (traffic, first in line, etc.), but, in practice and as a 1K, I rarely do it. The new online upsells are further discouragement. I probably check in at the airport 80% of the time.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 10:19 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (and no longer flying much)
Originally Posted by rmbl
OLCI is a good idea, as noted (traffic, first in line, etc.), but, in practice and as a 1K, I rarely do it. The new online upsells are further discouragement. I probably check in at the airport 80% of the time.
I always OLCI, but I agree that upsells are a nontrivial downside. In addition to the direct hassle factor I worry that someday I'll accidentally click the wrong button. Nothing that can't be fixed, I'm sure, but still and extra PITA I don't need.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 10:45 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Slightly off topic, I use OLCI at home but on the return leg I often am not near a printer. (most of travel is SFO-LHR) So, can I use OLCI and print the BP at Heathrow?

Thanks
Old Dec 23, 2009, 10:53 pm
djx

Programs: UA 2P, AA Gold, Delta Silver (The lowest tier trifecta)
Originally Posted by dfreeman02
I always OLCI and save a PDF of the BP to my computer. Then I don't have to worry about saving the stub in case I need it for reimbursement, retro credit, etc.
+1

I do this also when I'm at a hotel. Instead of checking in at the business center, I check in on my laptop and print to PDF and save to a thumb drive then print at the business center. I just don't like logging in to things on public terminals.
Old Dec 23, 2009, 10:55 pm

Programs: UA Plat, SPG Lifetime Plat
once upon a time, i got to the check-in kiosk 29 min before my flight because of traffic. ended up having to take the next flight out 3 hours later.

since then, i always check-in online and print the boarding pass at the airport. i have a thing for saving the boarding pass stub if it's printed on "real" paper
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:01 am

Programs: UA Gold, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
I always use OLCI.. Because:

- it's those few times when you'd otherwise get to the kiosk at T-29 and it would tell you you can't check in, and then you'd spend 20 minutes trying to convince the guy at the counter that you really can go through security and get to the gate in 5 minutes

- it's nice to have that BP when flights are oversold - now less of an issue when you're 1K/1P/2P, but when I'm flying airlines where I have no status, it's a must (actually this is something that I preach to my friends who only travel occassionally)

- and then, if I have time, I may stop by the kiosk to see if better seat / flight is available
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:03 am
Moderator: Smoking Lounge; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime (for now) Gold MM, HH Gold, Giving Tootsie Pops to UA employees, & a retired hockey goalie
i always use olci and for many of the reasons noted by others with the most important reason for me being irrops. if there is anything "going on", i want to be checked in asap (and this includes any connecting flights)
Old Dec 24, 2009, 10:25 am

Programs: UA MM Gold
Originally Posted by colevalleytim
Slightly off topic, I use OLCI at home but on the return leg I often am not near a printer. (most of travel is SFO-LHR) So, can I use OLCI and print the BP at Heathrow?

Thanks
Yes. You can OLCI then print your BP at Mr Chicken (check in kiosk)....
Old Dec 24, 2009, 12:26 pm

Programs: UA-G MM, Priority Club Platinum, Avis First, Hertz 5*, Red Lion
Originally Posted by rmbl
I used to have your approach but poor CSR experiences and waiting in an unusually unecessary line to check in (I rarely check bags) have changed my check-in habbits. I OLCI anytime I can print a BP because the BP is key. That means I can get through security and to a GA or RCC or chicken which can reprint a pass in the case of changes (particularly if I've already rebooked over the phone). It saves heaps of time for me.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.