Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

United Airlines Will Not Implement $100 Same-Day Standby Fee

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 12, 2002, 12:18 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, UA 1MM

Here is some good news for a change . . .

From Yahoo:

Press Release Source: United Airlines

Thursday December 12, 2:16 pm ET

CHICAGO, Dec. 12 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ -- United Airlines (NYSE: UAL - News) announced today it will not implement the $100 fee it planned to charge U.S. customers to stand by for earlier or later flights the same day. This applies to both United and United Express.

The same-day standby fee policy was announced in September and was scheduled to take effect Jan. 1, 2003.

In announcing the revised policy, Chris Bowers, senior vice president - marketing and sales, said, "We have been listening to our customers, and we agree with them that their travel experience should be simpler and easier. This will give our customers the flexibility to stand by for an earlier or later flight on the same day without incurring an additional expense." The normal fees and charges still apply for customers seeking a confirmed seat.

Bowers noted that United, the world's second largest carrier, continues to operate its full schedule of nearly 1,800 flights a day in a global network linking 117 cities in 26 counties and two U.S. territories. United has offered its customers outstanding on-time performance all year long and ranked first in the U.S. Department of Transportation Air Travel Consumer Report for on- time performance in October announced earlier this month.

He also reiterated that United's award-winning Mileage Plus frequent flier program will continue delivering its valued benefits to more than 40 million participants worldwide.

News releases and other information about United Airlines can be found at the company's website, www.united.com .

Old Dec 12, 2002, 12:28 pm

Programs: A3*G, DL Platinum
Excellent decision! Perhaps this is the start of Tilton's new focus on "Customers, Customers, Customers" as oft-quoted earlier this week.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 12:30 pm

Location: DEN (Boulder) ~ UA 1K, Hyatt Diamond, US Gold, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold, LH SEN
Programs: Hyatt, United, Starwood, USAir, Marriott, Lufthansa, Hilton
Now I really know why I stand behind this airline...GREAT job United!
Old Dec 12, 2002, 12:39 pm

Hooray for UA! If they keep doing things like this and AA keeps doing things like today's new "enhanced" checked baggage policy we could just see a stronger UA emerge.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by worldtrav:
Hooray for UA! If they keep doing things like this and AA keeps doing things like today's new "enhanced" checked baggage policy we could just see a stronger UA emerge.</font>
I suspect that some AA employee at HQ is currently proofreading the AA press release in which AA will cancel the $100 sameday standby fee, and someone at UA is studying whether to match AA's new luggage policy or whether to implement an even more punitive policy.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 12:45 pm

Interesting (and welcomed) reversal...

I wonder if this reversal is the result of thinking over the costs vs. benefits and coming to their senses or if this is an attempt to make UA more "passenger-friendly" to counteract the negative Chapter 11 image.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 12:46 pm

Yes! Very, very happy, and will be very thankful the next time bad weather is predicted and I am able to fly out early to avoid it.

BillJ
Old Dec 12, 2002, 12:48 pm

By extension, I'm assuming 1P is now worth it again?
Old Dec 12, 2002, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by lqdnitin:
By extension, I'm assuming 1P is now worth it again?</font>
They do not mention the reinstatement of confirmed same-day standby:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">The normal fees and charges still apply for customers seeking a confirmed seat.</font>
Old Dec 12, 2002, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Some here had correctly predicted this would happen. Nevertheless, I agree this is a great move and hopefully a sign of better things to come??
Old Dec 12, 2002, 12:58 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JohnnyP:
Some here had correctly predicted this would happen.</font>
[avek00]
Like me!
[/avek00]

------------------
LastClass... formerly Frequent Freak
Old Dec 12, 2002, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN Platinum
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by LastClass:
[avek00]
Like me!
[/avek00]

</font>
LOL, what's the [avek00] for?

BTW, great job United!!! This ridiculous rule should NEVER have been approved in the first place...
Old Dec 12, 2002, 1:09 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
This is EXCELLENT news.

Sometimes when I travel, I go to the counter about 6 hours early and ask for an earlier flight. They place me on standby while I go to the RCC and play on the internet, schlepping their sodas and pastries. Either way, everybody walks away happy.
Old Dec 12, 2002, 1:11 pm

Tilton!
Old Dec 12, 2002, 1:12 pm
EPS

Programs: UA 1P; HHonors Silver
There goes my #1 reason to shift revenue to competitors next year. Hmm...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.