Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Mid-Atlantic US Winter Storm (Weekend of 12/19) and Impact to UA's Operations

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Mid-Atlantic US Winter Storm (Weekend of 12/19) and Impact to UA's Operations

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2009, 5:38 pm

Programs: UA S/AGR S+/MR G/SW CP/AA Plat
294 SFO to BWI was canceled, and I was booked the next day SFO-DEN-BWI, but the DEN-BWI was then canceled. I was finally able to get the PS flight SFO-JFK, but I had to use a CR1 to get to business class. I get to the gate, and I get the call to the counter. Oh, man, if I could get to New York, it's Amtrak back to BWI. I went to the counter, and the GA asks if I would mind moving up to First, to make room. Well, I reluctantly agreed! Now on my way (writing this in the plane.) Also, GOGO is giving out free WIFI trials.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 5:42 pm

Programs: AA PLT, UA 1K (2k), Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, HHonors Gold
Advice needed

Folks,

I just booked a transcon trip (before the most recent waiver was issued) on 12/20, returning on 12/21 on two separate PNRs. It was my assumption that traveling on the 20th would be a better move to avoid the storm. Unfortunately, the weather seems to be getting worse than what I thought it would be.

What do you think I should do? If you were me, would you call and proactively change your trip, or just play it by ear and see if the weather improves by tomorrow night?

I could change the outbound since 12/20 is covered under the weather waiver. The inbound (separate PNR) on 12/21, however, is not.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Old Dec 18, 2009, 5:44 pm

Programs: * A
Originally Posted by BaltimoreZ71
294 SFO to BWI was canceled, and I was booked the next day SFO-DEN-BWI, but the DEN-BWI was then canceled. I was finally able to get the PS flight SFO-JFK, but I had to use a CR1 to get to business class. I get to the gate, and I get the call to the counter. Oh, man, if I could get to New York, it's Amtrak back to BWI. I went to the counter, and the GA asks if I would mind moving up to First, to make room. Well, I reluctantly agreed! Now on my way (writing this in the plane.) Also, GOGO is giving out free WIFI trials.
thanks for the good news. enjoy the PS flight and have a safe ride back to BWI!
Old Dec 18, 2009, 5:48 pm

Originally Posted by GoPUBoilers
I am waiting to leave on UX flight to CHO...they've done the classic 30 minute delay twice now and I just feel that they are going to cancel it...any options right now? I probably should rent a car and just make the drive...but roads don't sound too safe either...so close!!!!
Go rent a good size car, 4-wheel drive if possible and drive. I wouldn't wait around on UAX, later it gets, the more likely it cancels.

AD
Old Dec 18, 2009, 5:57 pm

Programs: UA S/AGR S+/MR G/SW CP/AA Plat
Originally Posted by GoPUBoilers
I am waiting to leave on UX flight to CHO...they've done the classic 30 minute delay twice now and I just feel that they are going to cancel it...any options right now? I probably should rent a car and just make the drive...but roads don't sound too safe either...so close!!!!
Don't forget, Amtrak does DC to Charlottesville, but I am not sure it would fit into your time frame. It takes a lot more to cancel a train. Just Tuesday, my Horizon flight from SEA to EAT (Wenatchee, WA) was canceled. I had to take am Amtrak over the Cascade Mountains (normally drive, but not after 3 ft of snowfall.) It was pretty neat to watch when we went around a curve, and the front of the train was plowing away the snow. It looked like water spray coming off of the front.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 6:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Condition One
I'm on the 8:30am IAD-SFO (777) flight tomorrow. It looks like all other flights up to the evening are canceled. Should be an interesting day tomorrow.
On the other hand United.com shows all SFO-IAD flights operating. LAX-IAD the same except for the first morning dpt.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 6:05 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Confirmed NC...

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
If your UA flight using XC is cancelled XC, UA will create space. Non-UA flights can be more difficult.
What happens in the case of confirmed NC.

TPA-IAD-NRT-SIN on Sunday the 20th.
If UA897 flys on Sunday, won't it have backlog from Saturdays' UA897, what do I need to do to protect the already cleared NC space?
Old Dec 18, 2009, 6:19 pm

I'm booked on 12/20 IAD-DEN on the 1223 flight. It went from being empty yesterday to F2 Y0 tonight. I'm looking forward to the opportunity to bump!

BTW, the latest TAF for IAD:

Code:
KIAD 182320Z 1900/2006 09004KT 5SM -SN BR BKN015 OVC050 
     FM190200 04005KT 1SM -SN BR BKN005 OVC010 
     TEMPO 1903/1905 1/2SM SN BKN001 
     FM190500 01010KT 1/2SM SN BKN001 OVC005 
     TEMPO 1905/1909 1/4SM +SN VV001 
     FM190900 36015G22KT 1/4SM +SN BKN001 OVC005 
     FM192200 35010G20KT 1SM -SN BKN005 OVC010 
     FM200200 34010G18KT 5SM -SN BR BKN015 OVC030
Decoded: from about 4AM to 6PM, vis is down to a quarter mile and gusty winds from the north with heavy snow. It's lookin' pretty bad...
Old Dec 18, 2009, 6:19 pm

Programs: UA/MAR
Originally Posted by kimon
Same here. I got rerouted through ORD, in full C, without lifting a finger!
Mee three... I was on on 923, the early LHR-IAD, on Saturday, which has already been cancelled. I was rebooked automagically on 925, the late one. I dunno what happened to the noon one... it might already be full (all the LHR-IAD flights were sold out, as of this morning).

Nice part is that my NC upgrade, which had a snowball's chance in heck of clearing on 923 already cleared on 925. I suppose that's worth a 9 hour delay.

I'm going to miss 1K next year.
Old Dec 18, 2009, 6:27 pm

Programs: UA 1k Million Miler
Updated forecast for IAD is >20 in by 6AM sunday

Originally Posted by AMRivlin
What happens in the case of confirmed NC.

TPA-IAD-NRT-SIN on Sunday the 20th.
If UA897 flys on Sunday, won't it have backlog from Saturdays' UA897, what do I need to do to protect the already cleared NC space?
cleared space is lost, you are back in the upgrade que and will clear (or not) based on status.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 18, 2009 at 7:51 pm Reason: merge
Old Dec 18, 2009, 6:37 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Saturday departure

I have a DCA departure on US and a IAD departure on UA for family
Where can I go to find the weather related cancellations on both.

Also, is the weather worse for Sunday or tomorrow?

Thanks once again
Old Dec 18, 2009, 6:40 pm

Programs: UA/MAR
Originally Posted by ffI
I have a DCA departure on US and a IAD departure on UA for family
Where can I go to find the weather related cancellations on both.
.bomb?

Originally Posted by ffI
Also, is the weather worse for Sunday or tomorrow?

Thanks once again
I hear it is supposed to snow all night tonight, all day and night Saturday, and clear out on Sunday. It will still take a week for the area to dig out. I'm thinking the weather will be better in, say, March.

ETA: National Weather Service says:

* TIMING... SNOW WILL BEGIN BETWEEN 8 AND 10 PM FRIDAY EVENING AND WILL CONTINUE THROUGH LATE SATURDAY NIGHT. SNOW WILL BE HEAVIEST FROM 5 AM TO 5 PM SATURDAY.

Last edited by livitup; Dec 18, 2009 at 6:48 pm
Old Dec 18, 2009, 6:41 pm
Fairmont Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by n9536j
cleared space is lost, you are back in the upgrade que and will clear (or not) based on status.
Lets just say for all intents and purposes,
Dec 19 UA897 is officially canceled
Dec 20 UA897 is not canceled (my original NC flight)

If I manage to OLCI in with my business tickets 24 hrs, can the passengers from Dec19 affect my already cleared and checked in flight?

Should I call UA and ask them to rebook/protect me on a west coast or CO flight?

Last edited by AMRivlin; Dec 18, 2009 at 6:49 pm
Old Dec 18, 2009, 6:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AMRivlin
Lets just say for all intents and purposes,
Dec 19 UA897 is officially canceled
Dec 20 UA897 is not canceled (my original NC flight)

If I manage to OLCI in with my business tickets 24 hrs, can the passengers from Dec19 affect my already cleared and checked in flight?
Generally your original flight with confirmed NC should hold up.
However, they might downgrade you to accommodate a fare-paying pax or other pax deemed "VIP" vs. your status. Take a look at the load. If they are still selling C-seats it might not be that bad after all.

As to overseas flights on SA: those are the ones who get highest priority. If anything goes, those flights are usually the first ones to go.

Edit 1: Just noticed IAD-NRT is cxld for tomorrow.
Edit 2: Now a whole bunch of TATL inbounds & outbounds for SA have cxld as well: ZRH, AMS, BRU, MUC, GVA, some FRA & LHR among them. This just happened within the last hour. Truly a long day & weekend for many holiday travellers!

Last edited by cesco.g; Dec 18, 2009 at 7:07 pm
Old Dec 18, 2009, 7:28 pm

Programs: Marriott LTP, Hilton Diamond, Accor Gold, Hyatt Explorist,, Delta Plat,
I-95 is snow covered up to Quantico. Snow should hit IAD and DCA within the next 1.5 hours.

Latest prediction is 18-24" at DCA and 15-20" at IAD.

Should be fun.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.