Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Extension of elite period - special thank you gift

Old Dec 17, 2002, 8:29 am
Original Poster

Location: Port St Lucie, FL, UA1K since 1994 and 3mm, Delta 1mm
Programs: Marriott Titanium Life, Hilton Gold

Not yet on the UAL web site, here is the official release of the extension of the elite qualification period.

http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/021217/cgtu020_1.html

Any idea what is the "special thank-you in their 2003 credentials packages to show our appreciation of their business and loyalty" is??

Additional SWU's for 1Ks???

------------------
Paul Mayo
United 1K/MM, Marriott Plat
Hilton Gold
Old Dec 17, 2002, 8:32 am
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Please see also:

http://www.ual.com/page/middlepage/0,1454,50175,00.html
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum50/HTML/016387.html

Old Dec 17, 2002, 8:41 am

In this link:

http://www.ual.com/page/middlepage/0,1454,50175,00.html

I especially like the language:

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">For those who already met published criteria for 2003 status, look to your credentials package, mailed in early 2003, for a special thank you.</font>
Last I checked, 2003 is in the future, although in this case it is used in the past tense.

I wonder if the special thank you consists of more SWUs. One year I got cookies. Another year I got a United 1K CD of "holiday favorites." I hope they don't do that again.

[This message has been edited by corwinsl (edited 12-17-2002).]

[This message has been edited by corwinsl (edited 12-17-2002).]
Old Dec 17, 2002, 8:57 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 2MM; UA LT Gold MM; HH LT Diamond; Marriott Tit LT PLT
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">...Another year I got a United 1K CD of "holiday favorites." I hope they don't do that again.
</font>
That's too bad - I received one of the CDs too, but I really enjoyed it!
Old Dec 17, 2002, 9:31 am

Programs: WWMFD
Maybe they'll be stock certificates, true collector's items.
Old Dec 17, 2002, 9:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It just amazes me how some people will never be satisfied.
Old Dec 17, 2002, 10:26 am

Programs: United 1K 2MM / Marriott LTP
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chexfan:
It just amazes me how some people will never be satisfied. </font>
Chexfan, what did I tell you! If it's CD's or luggage tags like I mentioned last night, we'll see complaint number 2.
Old Dec 17, 2002, 10:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM-3MM United Gold-MM Marriott Lifetime Titanium Hertz President's Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by chexfan:
It just amazes me how some people will never be satisfied. </font>
I second that (or maybe it's a third now). Under the circumstances, I intend to support United all I can. If they want to send me a CD or just a thank you note, I'll appreciate that! I'm not asking for anything more than just stay in business!

Bruce
Old Dec 17, 2002, 10:52 am

In this context, "mailed" is not past tense. The "to be" is considered understood, but clearly wasn't by at least one person.
Old Dec 17, 2002, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by TOTCOMP:
In this context, "mailed" is not past tense. The "to be" is considered understood...</font>
Actually, I think it is a "conditional infinitive" where 'which will be' should be understood! (especially with the future 2003 preceeding) Maybe a grammar expert could correc tus both???

I flew the minimum 100,000 miles or 100 segments. All I expect is what is promised by UA. If I get anything else... a luggage tag, a coupon for a McDonald's Hamburger or a Jay-Z CD, it will be a welcomed addition.

[This message has been edited by chexfan (edited 12-17-2002).]
Old Dec 17, 2002, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL GM, AA Gold, Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Plat
Am I alone in hoping that the "special recognition" will be that they stay in business next year?
Old Dec 17, 2002, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

That would be nice.
Old Dec 17, 2002, 12:34 pm
In memoriam

Programs: Kimpton IC, Hyatt Diamond, Gold Marriott, Lifetime Platinum Starwood
Am I alone in thinking that perhaps not giving us anything thereby saving $$$ and perhaps some jobs (thereby increasing morale and civility) might be the best thank you?

Old Dec 17, 2002, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not giving something away does not always equate to "saving" $$$.

It is often SOP in business to give something away to encourage customers to give more business to you and thereby give you a much wanted or needed net gain.

If United thinks it's in their best interests to give their most loyal customers a little something extra, I don't see what's wrong with that.

Because they see it as in their own best interests to do so.

Makes sense to me. And I would bet the courts and creditors committee would approve it.

In this age of FF cutbacks and "the customer is the enemy" corporate mentality at many airlines, the one the steps up to the plate and actually ++plusses++ their program, may end up the winner in the long run.
Old Dec 17, 2002, 1:53 pm

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by PremEx:
Not giving something away does not always equate to "saving" $$$.

It is often SOP in business to give something away to encourage customers to give more business to you and thereby give you a much wanted or needed net gain.

If United thinks it's in their best interests to give their most loyal customers a little something extra, I don't see what's wrong with that.

Because they see it as in their own best interests to do so.

Makes sense to me. And I would bet the courts and creditors committee would approve it.

In this age of FF cutbacks and "the customer is the enemy" corporate mentality at many airlines, the one the steps up to the plate and actually ++plusses++ their program, may end up the winner in the long run.
</font>

Very well said ! Thank you !!!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.