Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Anyone else notice UA lowballing on fares?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 14, 2002, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

Looks like UA is a few bucks lower than the other majors in selected markets. A couple days ago ORD-BHM was $142 while everyone else was in the low $200s. That one lasted only a day, but right now I see ORD-SFO is down to a new low, $168 WITH TAX on UA's Web site. There are other examples.

This often happens when an airline goes bankrupt, for reasons that should be obvious; TWA used to do this and USAir has done the same thing recently. Has anyone else here noticed it?
Old Dec 14, 2002, 3:36 pm

Programs: WN:No status in 2015; UA:1K long gone (1995-2003).
I think some of these low ball fares are intended to generate traffic during lightly traveled days over the holidays.

I noticed that DL, AA, US, UA have a $168 + taxes fare between LAS-BTV this morning, but it's only valid for travel on December 24-25.

Old Dec 14, 2002, 3:41 pm

I checked fares to 12 cities (from DTW) in mid-January via mid-March; UA failed to have the cheapest fare.
Old Dec 14, 2002, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Nevada1K:
I think some of these low ball fares are intended to generate traffic during lightly traveled days over the holidays</font>
Perhaps, but everything I was pricing was for January nonholiday travel.

I was seeing a lot of itins like ORD-CLT being $4 or $5 cheaper than similar nonstops on AA.

Also, today's $168 ORD-SFO is $5 cheaper than the same flight were yesterday. It's usually rare for fares to go down between Friday and Saturday.
Old Dec 14, 2002, 6:13 pm

Programs: UA Plat., 1.52 MM
Not really, not me.
Old Dec 14, 2002, 6:41 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
The $168RT UA SFO-ORD fare has been there on and off the last few months. To me it looks like they've just brought it back again, rather than sinking to a new low in that market.

edited: I just saw that the $168 you quote is WITH taxes, which would make the base fare somewhere around $130-140. That is something I have not seen before in this market.

[This message has been edited by tom911 (edited 12-14-2002).]
Old Dec 14, 2002, 9:57 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by tom911:
edited: I just saw that the $168 you quote is WITH taxes, which would make the base fare somewhere around $130-140. That is something I have not seen before in this market.</font>
No, UA is NOT lowballing... Southwest is offering $168 fares to Oakland from Chicago; UA is matching from San Francisco.
Old Dec 14, 2002, 11:00 pm

US Air really picks and chooses their spots on discounting deeply, I don't see a difference from when they were not in BK. I am CP over there and was kinda excited about the code share. Now I got a "wait & see" attitude on the whole thing. My "gut" tells me that US survives as a free standing airline and UA goes Chapter 7! Which would seem to be the opposite of the way it ought to be. No factual basis just a gut feel
Old Dec 14, 2002, 11:12 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Feamom:
My "gut" tells me that US survives as a free standing airline and UA goes Chapter 7!</font>
I think both UA and US will survive, even though I feel as though both deserve to be liquidated.

Old Dec 15, 2002, 2:52 am

Just booked ORD-SEA $168 with taxes... with 3 class 777 service outbound to boot! Time to use up my HK49s!

------------------
When once you have experienced being a 1K, you will forever fly the friendly skies with your eyes set on 100% mileage bonus and SWUs, for there you have been, and there you will always long to return, every year!
Old Dec 15, 2002, 10:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K - 2MM, Lifetime Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Platinum Elite, Hertz President's Circle
I have yet to see this. Keep in mind that I am based in Denver where gate fees are among the highest in the US. UA controls about 65% of all flights and there is little competition from Frontier Airlines for the business traveler. FA is making strides but, again, UA is the controlling carrier at DIA. I have seen some fares reduced but that is still in line for the travel season. I have to believe that some sort of fare war will begin to entice first quarter revenue as this quarter is historically the worst of 4.

[This message has been edited by RobotDoctor (edited 12-15-2002).]
Old Dec 15, 2002, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Man, you people have smart guts. All mine tells me is that I need to lay off the Bud Light.
Old Dec 15, 2002, 11:48 am

Programs: UA 1K 2MM Flier, SPG Plt, Hilton Dia
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by IndustrialPatent:
No, UA is NOT lowballing... Southwest is offering $168 fares to Oakland from Chicago; UA is matching from San Francisco.</font>
In 2001 UA appeared to be matching (or nearly matching) Southwest fares in many markets. I haven't noticed this year since I don't price-shop on personal flights, although I do on business flights -- but only when trying to find out routing such that the AA (our corporate airline partner) flights will be more expensive so I can fly UA instead!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.