Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Red Carpet Club Lounge Access When Travelling To/From Canada [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Red Carpet Club Lounge Access When Travelling To/From Canada [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 9, 2009, 10:04 pm

Programs: UA GS, Avis CHM, Marriott & SPG & PC Plat., Hyatt & Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ERS
Dumb question as just a general MP member flying First out of YVR -ORD can I use the Maple Leaf lounge then? I know I can use the RCC in ORD..
Just a hint -- Don't use the Maple Leaf Lounge! It will be hard to come back and visit any RCC in the near future!
Old Mar 9, 2009, 10:05 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Shareholder
At SFO access would not be provided to the SQ lounge since flights to Canada depart from the UA domestic terminal and security will limit access to/from the international terminal.
New walkway bridge opens at San Francisco International airport
On December 24th, United and the SFO airport opened a new walkway bridge connecting the domestic and international terminals. The walkway begins at gate 75 and exits near the international Red Carpet Club. Learn more.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6722,52972,00.html
Old Mar 10, 2009, 9:37 am

Originally Posted by ERS
I saw that but wasn't sure because I am flying united not air canada.
It also says on that page that you need a ticket on AC, ACJazz, *A, or other codeshare flight. But it's not crystal clear that flying first class on non-AC gets you in, if you don't otherwise have status or membership.

You can always try, and the worst they can do is say no
Old Mar 10, 2009, 1:37 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 28isGreat
It also says on that page that you need a ticket on AC, ACJazz, *A, or other codeshare flight. But it's not crystal clear that flying first class on non-AC gets you in, if you don't otherwise have status or membership.

You can always try, and the worst they can do is say no
The new Star-Alliance rules are crystal clear:

http://www.staralliance.com/en/trave...ss-policy.html
Old Mar 10, 2009, 6:40 pm
ERS

Programs: Delta, United, PC Platinum
Wow no kidding.. Plus they don't specify that you have to be of any status just first class. Yippie!

For what its worth the only lounges I have been in any time in the past ten years have been the RCC's and CRC at DEN. So I can only go up from them.. Right?
Old Mar 11, 2009, 5:26 pm

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
I status matched to Premier Exec for a trip to Vancouver next week. If I don't have a MP Card with Star Gold on, are they going to giving me trouble? I should be able to use the RCC's in DCA and ORD on the way there and any Star lounge in YVR and the RCC in SFO on the way back, right?
Old Mar 11, 2009, 5:44 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
Originally Posted by kahuna613
I status matched to Premier Exec for a trip to Vancouver next week. If I don't have a MP Card with Star Gold on, are they going to giving me trouble? I should be able to use the RCC's in DCA and ORD on the way there and any Star lounge in YVR and the RCC in SFO on the way back, right?
You may have problems entering the Maple Leaf Lounge in YVR. In my experience, I'm usually asked to show my MP Star Alliance Gold card.
Old Mar 11, 2009, 9:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
If you don't have a card by then, print up your MP page online showing your status - it might not work, but it has a much better chance of working than if you don't have it. Haven't visited YVR MLL in a long time, but in YYZ, they always ask for cards now to verify status.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 6:42 am

Isn't Star Gold printed on your boarding pass?
Old Mar 12, 2009, 7:20 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
As a *G, you have access to the *A lounge at your departure international gateway city only.

This means access to the ORD RCC on your outbound and the MLL in YVR. You won't be allowed in at DCA or SFO.

I would call and try to get a card sent to you right away. The MLL folks are usually very picky about seeing a card.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 7:38 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Tax is payable on flights travelling within 500-miles of the Canadian border. If the flight originates in the US more than 500-miles, tax is not payable on the inbound segment, just the return. (We collect taxes to pay for things like universal health care, so thank you for your contribution to our better health standing than found in your own country.) IATA may consider any flight between two countries to be international, but airlines in this part of the world use the term "transborder" when referring to flights between USA and Canada, and USA and Mexico.

At SFO access would not be provided to the SQ lounge since flights to Canada depart from the UA domestic terminal and security will limit access to/from the international terminal.

Ask your last President. However, as just noted, flights to/from Canada operate from the domestic terminal (US customs/immigraton does pre-clearance at the Canadian airport) and thus check-in is done at the domestic check-in area, not the international one.
In Vancouver, flights to the USA DO NOT depart from the domestic terminal but from the USA departures level 3. The Domestic Terminal is at the other end of the airport.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 7:41 am
ERS

Programs: Delta, United, PC Platinum
Originally Posted by sfo
In Vancouver, flights to the USA DO NOT depart from the domestic terminal but from the USA departures level 3. The Domestic Terminal is at the other end of the airport.
I take it the Vancouver Transborder MLL is accessible after US customs?
Old Mar 12, 2009, 9:31 am

Programs: SPG Platinum, HH Diamond, MR/RC Plat, KLM Plat, AS MVPG75K, UA Gold
Flying SFO-YVR in FIRST on UA next month, was wondering if anyone has had luck accessing the SQ KrisSilver Lounge in SFO now that the domestc-international walkway has been opened? Since the boarding pass will state "United First" and will be from the United States to Canada what are the odds of getting into the SQ F side of the lounge
Old Mar 12, 2009, 10:12 am

Programs: UA MP, NW WP, AA
I was on a SFO-Calgary flight two years ago and had no problem getting to the SQ lounge using my boarding pass and my UA MP card. Just a word of caution: the Canadian flights might not depart from the international terminal so make sure you give yourself plenty of time to walk back to your departure gate.
Old Mar 12, 2009, 11:16 am

Originally Posted by mrswirl
As a *G, you have access to the *A lounge at your departure international gateway city only.

This means access to the ORD RCC on your outbound and the MLL in YVR. You won't be allowed in at DCA or SFO.

I would call and try to get a card sent to you right away. The MLL folks are usually very picky about seeing a card.
Is this correct?

Here is the vague language from united.com:

Star Alliance lounges
When traveling internationally on any Star Alliance member airline, present your same-day international ticket and your Premier Executive card, and you may relax in any Star Alliance lounge. Look for the "Star Alliance Gold" sign outside eligible lounges.

and from staralliance.com

Star Alliance Gold Customers Travelling in Any Class: Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned lounges with the Star Alliance Gold logo at the entrance.

* Customer must present a valid frequent flyer programme Star Alliance Gold level card
* Customer must also present a boarding card for a same day Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport
* Customer is entitled to one guest
* United and US Airways Star Alliance Gold customers may only access the Red Carpet Club and US Airways Clubs within the U.S. when travelling in conjunction with a Star Alliance international flight.

I wish United would make this a little bit clearer on their site.....won't plan on getting to DCA very early then! Thanks for the info.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.