Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Red Carpet Club Lounge Access When Travelling To/From Canada [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Red Carpet Club Lounge Access When Travelling To/From Canada [Merged]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2010, 8:21 pm
Ted

Programs: UA 1P MM, HH G, Marriott G
Originally Posted by zbenye
Flew to Edmonton a couple of weeks ago, had no problem getting into DEN RCC as 1K, with guest. We both asked for and received WiFi cards.

Flying back, I was allowed into the Maple Leaf lounge but was refused free WiFi.
Edmonton MLL indicates domestic only... were you able to get access with a transboarder BP? AC board indicates this may be possible with carry-on only by going through domestic security and then proceeding to US connections.

Thanks.
Old Jan 6, 2011, 4:29 am

Programs: UAL,CO
LAX - YYZ

I'm a 1K who was travelling LAX - YYZ (Toronto) with a 90 min. connection in. Washington Dulles

I tried using the Red Carpet Club in terminal 7 LAX but was told *G for International flights not recognized for trips to Canada.

I had to connect in Wash. Dulles and was able to use the Red Carpet Club here without any issue.

What is the rule?

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Jan 6, 2011 at 6:24 am Reason: moved from other thread; more topical here
Old Jan 6, 2011, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM
Originally Posted by ThomasBrown

I had to connect in Wash. Dulles and was able to use the Red Carpet Club here without any issue.

What is the rule?
you were lied to/misinformed
Should have had no issues at LAX by presenting your IAD-YYZ boarding pass.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 7:13 pm

YYZ-ORD-SFO-KOA r/t in Domestic F . . . RCC Access?

hi all,
sure this has been asked to death.
Friend and I flying to Hawaii with some longish layovers in ORD and SFO both ways. Can we access RCC with International First (Canada) tickets.

No *A status. Solely Domestic First class tickets.

TIA
Old Jan 22, 2011, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Canada counts as international for RCC enterance purposes. You should definitely be able to access the RCC in ORD. I've done this before, coming in to ORD from YYZ in F, and connecting to an express flight without an F cabin. No problem getting in. Not sure about SFO though. I'd keep your F YYZ-ORD BP with you to show them in SFO (and ORD). You are technically flying in F from an international destination same day.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 9:16 pm

Programs: QF Gold
Originally Posted by emcampbe
Canada counts as international for RCC enterance purposes. You should definitely be able to access the RCC in ORD. I've done this before, coming in to ORD from YYZ in F, and connecting to an express flight without an F cabin. No problem getting in. Not sure about SFO though. I'd keep your F YYZ-ORD BP with you to show them in SFO (and ORD). You are technically flying in F from an international destination same day.
I had a F ticket on Asiana (ICN-LAX), then connecting in UA F to SFO (same ticket).

I was denied entry at RCC in LAX.

Was this correct?

I found it very poor of United to not allow people both international and domestic F into a domestic lounge.
Old Jan 22, 2011, 9:29 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by CloudsBelow
hi all,
sure this has been asked to death. ...
yep,
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...da-merged.html
... Friend and I flying to Hawaii with some longish layovers in ORD and SFO both ways. Can we access RCC with International First (Canada) tickets.

No *A status. Solely Domestic First class tickets.

TIA
Canada is considered international for RCC access, so international premium cabin seating qualifies for RCC -- but only when departing as International F -- so just for the return flight to Canada (standard *A rules)
Originally Posted by davem4
I had a F ticket on Asiana (ICN-LAX), then connecting in UA F to SFO (same ticket).

I was denied entry at RCC in LAX.

Was this correct?

I found it very poor of United to not allow people both international and domestic F into a domestic lounge.
that was correct -- standard *A rules
International First Class Customers: Customers have access to International First Class1 and/or any Star Alliance member carriers' own lounges.

Customer must present a boarding card for the same day travel in international First Class on a Star Alliance flight
Customer must be departing from the local airport in International First Class
Customer is entitled to one guest

1 Except: LH HON/First Class Lounges in FRA/MUC; LX HON/First Class Lounges in ZRH/GVA; OS HON/First Class Lounges in VIE; TG Spa Lounge in BKK

Last edited by WineCountryUA; Jan 22, 2011 at 9:36 pm Reason: self merge
Old Jan 22, 2011, 11:52 pm

Programs: COdbaUA 1K MM, AA EXP, Bonbon Gold, GHA Titanium, Hertz PC, NEXUS and GE
Originally Posted by c1mth0g
US Air lounges will not admit you if you flying to Canada with just *G status. RCC will.
US are breaking the rules if this is true. That is not part of the carve-out (no access to domestic *G on domestic flights). I've had a US matron tell me this and she got yelled at later by her station manager.

Originally Posted by ERS
I take it the Vancouver Transborder MLL is accessible after US customs?
Yes

Originally Posted by Derek
I am afraid you aren't correct. RCC access for *G is at the international gateway airport only. So no RCC in ORD.
That is incorrect. RCC access for *G is available at every airport along the journey. I do think you are technically correct in the case of international first, but I can't imagine they would turn someone holding an international first ticket away on their domestic leg.

Originally Posted by ThomasBrown
I'm a 1K who was travelling LAX - YYZ (Toronto) with a 90 min. connection in. Washington Dulles

I tried using the Red Carpet Club in terminal 7 LAX but was told *G for International flights not recognized for trips to Canada.

What is the rule?
Originally Posted by rankourabu
you were lied to/misinformed
Should have had no issues at LAX by presenting your IAD-YYZ boarding pass.
I am absolutely shocked here. The reason I say this is because the LAX staff are generally the nicest and most knowledgeable about the rules, and will make sure you can get in if you fit the rules. I've seen them ask US/CO/UA *Gs if they have onward BPs to international destinations just in case they can get them in. I've also been told, despite the fact that I'm also a RCC member, by check-in that I am welcome to use the RCC when on an international connecting itinerary because of my 1K status.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:22 am

One last wrinkle that's going to screw me no doubt . . .

Was flying YYZ-ORD-SFO in F

Changed it to YOW-ORD-SFO. It's still a 'first class' ticket but the YOW-ORD is all Y ERJ.

Does this kill my entry to RCC at ORD? Please tell me it doesnt as i have 3 hours to kill!

Thanks
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:33 am

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
One last wrinkle that's going to screw me no doubt . . .

Was flying YYZ-ORD-SFO in F

Changed it to YOW-ORD-SFO. It's still a 'first class' ticket but the YOW-ORD is all Y ERJ.

Does this kill my entry to RCC at ORD? Please tell me it doesnt as i have 3 hours to kill!

Thanks
no RCC at ORD either way based on ticket class -- not departing ORD in international F class
Customer must be departing from the local airport in International First Class
Old Jan 23, 2011, 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
no RCC at ORD either way based on ticket class -- not departing ORD in international F class
What?
What do you make of the post above . . .
"Canada counts as international for RCC enterance purposes. You should definitely be able to access the RCC in ORD. I've done this before, coming in to ORD from YYZ in F, and connecting to an express flight without an F cabin. No problem getting in. Not sure about SFO though. I'd keep your F YYZ-ORD BP with you to show them in SFO (and ORD). You are technically flying in F from an international destination same day.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 2:24 pm

Programs: UA, QF, VS, AA, US, HH, SPG
Yet Another Question (YAQ) on this lounge access issue. My husband and I are departing tomorrow for the following trip and I just want to double check my RCC and MLL assumptions and ask a question:

SYD-LAX on UA in C so we use the NZ lounge in SYD

LAX-YYZ on AC in J (so I assume we can use the RCC in LAX - is there a MLL in LAX and if not where is the closest RCC to the AC departure terminal?)

YYZ-YVR on AC in J so MLL access will be fine

YVR-SFO on UA in Y due to an involuntary schedule/aircraft change by UA to a flight with no F (so can we use the MLL by special exception??). (BTW we never even got a schedule change notice on this change - time, flight number and class of service changed - I did not bother to complain as there really wasn't a better option looking at the timetable).

SFO-SYD on UA in C so RCC access will be fine

Note we're done this itinerary or similar many times but this will be the first time since dropping from Premier Exec to 'scumbag' aka GM and I an finding the lounge access rules to be a bit confusing. This thread has helped a lot.

thanks.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 4:49 pm

What?
What do you make of the post above . . .
"Canada counts as international for RCC enterance purposes. You should definitely be able to access the RCC in ORD. I've done this before, coming in to ORD from YYZ in F, and connecting to an express flight without an F cabin. No problem getting in. Not sure about SFO though. I'd keep your F YYZ-ORD BP with you to show them in SFO (and ORD). You are technically flying in F from an international destination same day.
*G have access to RCCs on an international itinerary (independent of class of service)
FC have access to RCCs on an international FC departure from local airport
two different rules -- which applies in your case? you did not report your *A status

Originally Posted by pschafer
....YVR-SFO on UA in Y due to an involuntary schedule/aircraft change by UA to a flight with no F (so can we use the MLL by special exception??). (BTW we never even got a schedule change notice on this change - time, flight number and class of service changed - I did not bother to complain as there really wasn't a better option looking at the timetable). ....
all the other legs should not be a problem since seating in business (no guest allowed but since both in business you will be OK)
This leg could be a problem since you are not *G or departing international premium cabin -- you might be able to talk your way by explaining the circumstances but strict rule reading says no.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Jan 23, 2011 at 5:27 pm Reason: merge
Old Jan 23, 2011, 7:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by WineCountryUA
*G have access to RCCs on an international itinerary (independent of class of service)
FC have access to RCCs on an international FC departure from local airport
two different rules -- which applies in your case? you did not report your *A status
I was at the time, and still am a 2P. The poster said they were in F coming from Canada, and I think I mentioned I was in F ex-Canada in mine. As long as one of the two things you mentioned above are true, then it shouldn't matter.
Old Jan 23, 2011, 10:15 pm

Programs: Ex. Somebody, now a disloyal Nobody
LAX-YYZ on AC in J (so I assume we can use the RCC in LAX - is there a MLL in LAX and if not where is the closest RCC to the AC departure terminal?)
You should be allowed in either the RCC (T7) or MLL (T2). I have not been to that particular MLL, but by other MLL/RCC comparisions, I'm guessing that it's superior. It's also not on the opposite side of the airport from your departing plane as the T7 RCC is.

YYZ-YVR on AC in J so MLL access will be fine

YVR-SFO on UA in Y due to an involuntary schedule/aircraft change by UA to a flight with no F (so can we use the MLL by special exception??). (BTW we never even got a schedule change notice on this change - time, flight number and class of service changed - I did not bother to complain as there really wasn't a better option looking at the timetable).
I'm guessing the if you are on an F fare but could not be accommodated in the F cabin due to equipment change, you will still have access.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.