Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Red Carpet Club Lounge Access When Travelling To/From Canada [Merged]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 16, 2009, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by kahuna613
Is this correct?

Here is the vague language from united.com:

Star Alliance lounges
When traveling internationally on any Star Alliance member airline, present your same-day international ticket and your Premier Executive card, and you may relax in any Star Alliance lounge. Look for the "Star Alliance Gold" sign outside eligible lounges.

and from staralliance.com

Star Alliance Gold Customers Travelling in Any Class: Customers have access to any Star Alliance member carriers' owned lounges with the Star Alliance Gold logo at the entrance.

* Customer must present a valid frequent flyer programme Star Alliance Gold level card
* Customer must also present a boarding card for a same day Star Alliance flight departing from the local airport
* Customer is entitled to one guest
* United and US Airways Star Alliance Gold customers may only access the Red Carpet Club and US Airways Clubs within the U.S. when travelling in conjunction with a Star Alliance international flight.

I wish United would make this a little bit clearer on their site.....won't plan on getting to DCA very early then! Thanks for the info.
I apologize but you may be correct - although it seems there is much confusion regarding *G RCC access for the domestic portion of an international itinerary.

See this thread: posts #431 and #439 seem to contridict each other.

So bottom line, I would go ahead and try it and see what happens.
Old Mar 16, 2009, 2:33 pm

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
I did try to get into the RCC at Reagan and was was let in with my girlfriend with no problems (in fact I was given quite a friendly welcome). It was a nice respite from waiting downstairs. Chicago also was no problem, tho the C terminal RCC needs some updating. Surprised I didn't see any rats! I've been to some Crown Room Clubs and WorldClubs and found them to be a notch up. It was free though so can't complain! Guess the rules aren't very clear for the staff either.

Also....asked about wireless pass and drink chits. No wireless bec. I wasn't flying First or Business, according to the woman at the desk. She did give me two drink chits after telling me it was on her this time, but normally you have to be flying First or Business.

Last edited by kahuna613; Mar 16, 2009 at 2:39 pm
Old Mar 22, 2009, 1:15 pm

I'm sitting in the Maple Leaf lounge in Vancouver now; the lounge attendant did not ask to see my Mileage Plus card.
Old Mar 22, 2009, 5:59 pm
Ari
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Happy ending is always nice.

Regarding admission to the RCC in non-gateway cities-- LoungeNET tells the lounge staff that someone is admissible by way of a green check mark. There is no evidence on FT that LoungeNET discriminates between gateway cities and non-gateway cities, even with IFL access; rather, LoungeNET seems to apply the much more liberal standard in the RCC/ADMIT profile, "IN CONJUNCTION WITH INTERNATIONAL TRAVEL," to admission standards.

[quote]* * * INTERNATIONAL DEFINITION * * *
35NI/ TO OR FROM THE UNITED STATES EXCLUDING SAN JUAN
36NI/ CUSTOMERS WHO TRAVEL TO CANADA MEXICO AND
37NI/ CARRIBEAN DESTINATIONS WILL BE TREATED AS INTL AND
38NI/ CUSTOMERS WILL HAVE ACCESS TO THE RED CARPET CLUB
39NI/ **HOWEVER THEY ARE NOT ENTITLED TO DRINK CHITS**
40NI/.
41NI/ THIS APPLIES TO UA CUSTOMERS `F XF NF C XC NC)
42NI/ AND STAR GOLD CUSTOMERS ONLY ..SAME-DAY TRAVEL IS
43NI/ REQUIRED AND THIS INCLUDES CONNECTING STATIONS
44NI/ ON SAME DAY TRAVEL AS LONG AS THEY ARE IN F OR C
45NI/ CLASS FOR THE ENTIRE ITINERARY......[quote]

http://www.flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/S*RCC/ADMIT
Old Mar 23, 2009, 11:30 am

And to finish things off, I was able to get into both RCC's and even the Silver Kris Lounge yesterday afternoon during my 8 hour voluntary bump-induced SFO layover. The woman at the RCC in the intl. terminal even mistakenly gave me four drink chits....and although her coworker noted this under his breath as she handed them to me, they didn't bother asking for them back.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 9:44 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Lounge access and rules for United First travel to Canada from USA

I'm a 1K based in Montreal. I often travel from Montreal to SFO via Chicago. On the short haul YUL to ORD segment, I am usually flying in upgraded first. On the outbound from YUL, I get to enjoy the very nice Air Canada Maple Leaf lounge with free Internet, free drinks, good food (fresh salad, soup, french bread, etc.), newspapers, etc.

When I'm in ORD outbound or inbound or at SFO on the return trip, I often use the RCC to hide from the crowds and get some work done. I'm very pleased that United has decided that travel to Canada is an international flight and grants lounge access to premium cabin travelers and 1K / Star Gold members (unlike AA who denied me recently at the Admiral's Club in Dallas even though I was flying first class because my trip wasn't "intercontinental").

With that said...

What I'm wondering about is other than RCC access, are any of the other International First perks available to me? Drink chits? Access to the International First Lounge? (Is there even an International First Lounge at ORD? Is it hidden in the RCC?) Free Wi-Fi cards?

Thanks!

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 3, 2009 at 10:17 am Reason: merged with existing thread
Old Dec 3, 2009, 9:47 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
Originally Posted by footprints
What I'm wondering about is other than RCC access, are any of the other International First perks available to me? Drink chits? Access to the International First Lounge? (Is there even an International First Lounge at ORD? Is it hidden in the RCC?) Free Wi-Fi cards?

Thanks!
No on all accounts I'm afraid. The IFL at ORD is hidden behind a smoked glass door just to the left of the customer service center on the C concourse across from the escalator that leads down to the underground walkway. But it is only open to trans oceanic 3 class int'l F pax. Drink chits and free Wi-Fi are for trans-oceanic C class pax. So, Canada (and Mexico and the Caribbean for that matter) get RCC access, but none of the other international perks.
Old Dec 3, 2009, 10:13 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
Ah, thanks!

BTW, that CRJ-700 flight from ORD to YUL last night was a pretty wild ride through the big storm up in the NE. :-)
Old Dec 3, 2009, 12:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OWEmerald; STARGold; BonvoyPlat; IHGPlat/Amb; HiltonGold; A|ClubPat; AirMilesPlat
Your access to the NLL and RCC were based on your STARGold status which when crossing the border, is considered "sort-of-but-not-quite" international, That's why the other benefits (at RCCs) like web access card and two drink vouchers are not given. Basically, Canada and Mexico are not true international destinations as we three share the North American continent. But as either is not considered Domestic, you can have RCC access on your UA STARGold as per STAR rules. But transborder First is not really First as per International travel, so the rest of the bennies just don't come with it. Enjoy what you can get!
Old Dec 4, 2009, 4:44 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, BMI, Hyatt, SPG, PC
So...to be clear...I am in NF class (upgraded by CR-1) on a UA ticket and UA metal (obviously) travelling from YVR-ORD. Am I entitled to MLL Lounge access in YVR? Is that "international" enough for the *A rules?
Old Dec 4, 2009, 5:44 pm

Programs: nobody
Originally Posted by footprints
Free Wi-Fi cards?
When in RCC, you can use T-Mobile hotspot using your MP# to login. No drink chits by rule as you are not flying intercontinental flight. But I have receive chits before waiting for my ORD-HNL flight. Just don't count on it.

Originally Posted by erasmus99
So...to be clear...I am in NF class (upgraded by CR-1) on a UA ticket and UA metal (obviously) travelling from YVR-ORD. Am I entitled to MLL Lounge access in YVR? Is that "international" enough for the *A rules?
Are you 1K yourself? If you are, *G give you MLL access regardless of your ticket class.

http://flyerguide.com/wiki/index.php/S%2ARCC/ADMIT

Last edited by mobilebucky; Dec 4, 2009 at 5:50 pm
Old Dec 4, 2009, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Your access to the NLL and RCC were based on your STARGold status which when crossing the border, is considered "sort-of-but-not-quite" international, That's why the other benefits (at RCCs) like web access card and two drink vouchers are not given. Basically, Canada and Mexico are not true international destinations as we three share the North American continent. But as either is not considered Domestic, you can have RCC access on your UA STARGold as per STAR rules. But transborder First is not really First as per International travel, so the rest of the bennies just don't come with it. Enjoy what you can get!
Incorrect. First to/from Canada does include lounge access (but not drink chits or wifi). In fact I just flew using an E500 to upgrade YYZ-ORD-CVG. Cleared 48 hours before. At YYZ, relaxed in the MLL, no problems with access - a First boarding pass will always get MLL access. Got into ORD, and even though my second flight was on a ER4, I accessed the RCC for a few minutes too, with just the boarding pass on my inbound and outbound flight. I wasn't 100% sure if I was supposed to be allowed access the RCC on the mid-point, but I was waved in (though not sure how much the agent was paying attention, she was rebooking a couple of other pax, asked if I was just coming in, I said yes and flashed the BP's and she told welcomed me in). For reference, I'm a 2P.

Originally Posted by erasmus99
As I mentioned based on my situation above, you are absolutely entitled to MLL access. For your reference, any premium class ticket, even if its AC domestic within Canada, gets MLL access. Plain and simple.
Old Dec 15, 2009, 2:16 pm

Programs: United P1, Lufthansa FF, Marriott Silver, HH Gold

Has anyone tried using Red Carpet Lounge using Premier Exec status when traveling to Canada? I've heard that United does not consider travel to Canada an international route.

Last edited by FlyinHawaiian; Dec 15, 2009 at 3:05 pm Reason: moved into existing thread
Old Dec 15, 2009, 2:24 pm
Moderator: United Airlines

Programs: UA Plat 1.995MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Plat
Canada is not considered Internation by UA for a number of items
BUT RCC access is allowed for 1P / *G on a USA-Canada flight (but no drink chits).

S*RCC/ADMIT
also http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...tions-yyz.html
or http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...ad-merged.html
Old Dec 15, 2009, 2:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
For RCC admission purposes.. it is. (You might be confusing this with IFL access to Canada).

FWIW, depending on where in Canada, you can also access the AC MLL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.