Wiki Posts
Search

"Cancelled" flight actually flew...

Search this Thread

Old Dec 6, 2009, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum (1MM Gold), HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
"Cancelled" flight actually flew...

I couldn't find any posts describing this situation so that got me wondering if it is very unusual:

Ms. Portolan flew a 4 segment R/T last week (2 outbound, 2 return). All segments except the second outbound posted promptly. Since more than 72 hours had passed, I filled out the on-line form requesting missing mileage credit. Imagine my surprise when it said that "UnitedAirlines 5825, Monday, Nov 30 2009, Chicago, IL(ORD) to El Paso, TX(ELP) - Our records show that this flight was cancelled. Therefore, we are unable to approve the request for Mileage Plus credit. " Ms. Portolan's BP and itinerary show this flight number, and since show found herself in El Paso that night, she's pretty sure the flight actually flew. Actually, she said there was nothing unusual about the flight: listed on the monitors by the number on her BP, left on time and arrived a bit early. When I talked to a CSA today, he said he'd requested credit and we could expect to see it within 48 hours. You'd think, however, that they'd know the flight flew (of course, it was UA Express operated by Skywest so that might explain it). Maybe I was the first/only inquiry about missing mileage for the flight?

We'll see.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL DM MM, Hyatt LT Globalist, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
This happened to an ORD-CVG flight a few weeks ago. When I got off my connecting flight from DCA I got the e-mail alert and the info monitors showed the flights as canceled. Instead of going to the gate I went to a CS center, where I spent 45 mins trying to get on another flight. I was 240ed over to AA, and only got in to CVG an hour late. When I called the 1P desk to confirm my ticket, the agent was surprised and said that the original ORD-CVG flight had been reinstated under a new flight number. I was surprised that a phone agent was able to see this but the agent at the CS desk at ORD did not. Unfortunately it was too late to make the reinstated flight so I kept my AA flight. I'm hoping I can still get original routing credit on UA...
Old Dec 6, 2009, 5:20 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

On 30 Nov 2009, UA 5825 ORD-ELP did operate; it is UA 5825 ELP-ORD that was cancelled, hence the confusion...
Old Dec 6, 2009, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Peatisback
This happened to an ORD-CVG flight a few weeks ago...
Nothing that Ms. Portolan experienced indicated any "cancellation." Flight was listed correctly on monitors, boarded on time at a gate identified with the flight number using a BP for the "cancelled" flight, left on time and arrived early. The only thing cancelled about this flight is United's record of it after the fact. I also just checked and the same "cancelled" flight number is showing up on the same schedule from ORD to ELP in the future. Ultimately a computer-to-computer issue, I guess. Makes you wonder what United would say if the FAA asked if this flight flew that day...or asked what was that aircraft that we (the FAA) handled from ORD to ELP that day?

Originally Posted by KVS
On 30 Nov 2009, UA 5825 ORD-ELP did operate; it is UA 5825 ELP-ORD that was cancelled, hence the confusion...
I knew that some flight numbers were used out and back (why???), but didn't think of that as the issue here. I suppose it is possible that this kind of thing could happen on any multi-segment flight using the same number. I sort of understand the "direct" flight usage of one number, but the same number for an out and back round trip seems really nonsensical.

Last edited by iluv2fly; Dec 6, 2009 at 6:19 pm Reason: merge
Old Dec 6, 2009, 5:38 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Portolan
I knew that some flight numbers were used out and back (why???)
Because airlines are running out of 4-digit flight numbers, due to the overuse of code-sharing.
Old Dec 6, 2009, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Y2K all over again?

Originally Posted by KVS
Because airlines are running out of 4-digit flight numbers, due to the overuse of code-sharing.
and I'm betting all the aviation software in existence only allows a 4 digit field for the flight number!
Old Dec 6, 2009, 7:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Peatisback
This happened to an ORD-CVG flight a few weeks ago. When I got off my connecting flight from DCA I got the e-mail alert and the info monitors showed the flights as canceled. Instead of going to the gate I went to a CS center, where I spent 45 mins trying to get on another flight. I was 240ed over to AA, and only got in to CVG an hour late. When I called the 1P desk to confirm my ticket, the agent was surprised and said that the original ORD-CVG flight had been reinstated under a new flight number. I was surprised that a phone agent was able to see this but the agent at the CS desk at ORD did not. Unfortunately it was too late to make the reinstated flight so I kept my AA flight. I'm hoping I can still get original routing credit on UA...
I had something very similar happen to me about two years ago. same route...ORD-CVG. Original flight was canceled when I was on my way to the airport, and was re-booked over the phone on AA. After I got there, and was already checked in for the AA flight, I learned that the CVG flight on UA was going to go (don't know if it was a different flight # or not), and was combined with the DAY flight, so went ORD-CVG-DAY that night.
Old Dec 9, 2009, 7:49 pm
Original Poster

closure, at last...

Talked with one CSA a few days ago who said he'd put in a request for the missing mileage. Got the same email the naxt day as with the on-line for..."flight was cancelled." Called again today and got a CSA who verified the system was showing it as cancelled...so she overrode it and the miles showed up immediately. Apparently she was empowered to 1) assume that a passenger who (according to the system) didn't fly the final outbound leg to the destination, but managed to return from there 2 days later was probably telling the truth, and 2) figured that a 1P who had already requalified for next year probably wasn't going to lie about 1227 RDM (x2 with bonus...maybe $25 fair market value) and EQMs that wouldn't change anything.

I still wonder what United would say to the FAA if UA's system says the flight wasn't flown (or, at least, can't discriminate between the outbound and return flights of the same number) since the FAA records would show an aircraft being flown from ORD to ELP that day.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.