FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger-504/)
-   -   Embraer 120 Weight Restrictions? Experienced 120 Flyers - I Need Your Insight! (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/united-mileage-plus-pre-merger/1022516-embraer-120-weight-restrictions-experienced-120-flyers-i-need-your-insight.html)

PanHam Dec 1, 2009 10:13 am

Embraer 120 Weight Restrictions? Experienced 120 Flyers - I Need Your Insight!

Hey, folks,

Performed the requisite search, but couldn't find anything pertaining too my specific question. On Saturday, as part of my epic Regional Jet Tour of America mileage run :D, (JFK - IAD - DFW - LAX - CLD - LAX - SAN - IAD [only non-RJ segment] - JFK), I get to experience the cute wittle Embraer 120 for the first time, on three segments. I'm super excited to fly this crazy airplane, and experience all the fun, noise, constant shaking, and Seat 9C this bird has to offer. But - as someone who salivates for irrops, and bump potential, I was wondering how often the 120s depart weight restricted - to the point that they actually have to remove some pax from the airplane. I'm sure it varies based on the load, checked luggage, and number of pax on the particular flight, of course, but I'd love to hear of any experiences, data points, or perhaps trends people have noticed, just to assess whether it does happen.

I'll be flying 'em on the LAX - CLD - LAX - SAN segments, on a Saturday evening. If anyone has any experience with those specific flights, and irrops, I'd love to hear 'em, as well.

Many thanks!

whakojacko Dec 1, 2009 10:18 am

Originally Posted by PanHam (Post 12905840)
Hey, folks,

Performed the requisite search, but couldn't find anything pertaining too my specific question. On Saturday, as part of my epic Regional Jet Tour of America mileage run :D, (JFK - IAD - DFW - LAX - CLD - LAX - SAN - IAD [only non-RJ segment] - JFK), I get to experience the cute wittle Embraer 120 for the first time, on three segments. I'm super excited to fly this crazy airplane, and experience all the fun, noise, constant shaking, and Seat 9C this bird has to offer. But - as someone who salivates for irrops, and bump potential, I was wondering how often the 120s depart weight restricted - to the point that they actually have to remove some pax from the airplane. I'm sure it varies based on the load, checked luggage, and number of pax on the particular flight, of course, but I'd love to hear of any experiences, data points, or perhaps trends people have noticed, just to assess whether it does happen.

I'll be flying 'em on the LAX - CLD - LAX - SAN segments, on a Saturday evening. If anyone has any experience with those specific flights, and irrops, I'd love to hear 'em, as well.

Many thanks!

Ive never seen pax removed due to weight. However, I have a few times seen pax moved around for weight distribution. IIRC though, its always moving pax to the back, so you should be able to keep the best Economy seat on a domestic flight (IMO :D). Have fun on the 120s, they really are a blast

PanHam Dec 1, 2009 10:22 am

Originally Posted by whakojacko (Post 12905872)
Ive never seen pax removed due to weight. However, I have a few times seen pax moved around for weight distribution. IIRC though, its always moving pax to the back, so you should be able to keep the best Economy seat on a domestic flight (IMO :D). Have fun on the 120s, they really are a blast

Thanks for the report!

I'm definitely can't wait to fly 'em for the first time - just for the sensory experience.

UAX_Brasilia Dec 1, 2009 10:29 am

Ahh... my airplane ;)

The above is correct when it comes to people having to move around due to balance issues. That probably happens on most flights that aren't full (people having to move from the front to the rear of the aircraft).

People being removed from or denied boarding also happens due to weight issues, but mainly on longer flights like SBA-SFO or LAX-SJC. Out of many lifetime flights aboard the Bro, I have probably witnissed someone denied boarding due to weight only 5 or 6 times. There should not be any problem on LAX-CLD/SAN though. I've had plenty of full to the brim flights on those routes.

exerda Dec 1, 2009 10:32 am

As much as I like the EMB120 (when flying in 9CD), it is indeed pretty noisy. I hear people berating the Messy DH8s, but they're much quieter IME than the EMB120 (no 9CD, though!).

On LAX-SAN and v/v, I've seen them go out weight restricted several times, but only once did they ask a pax to volunteer to get off (the ground crew came onto the plane and made the announcement that we needed 1x pax to volunteer). Can't recall that route being oversold often (the frequency probably helps), either.

PanHam Dec 1, 2009 10:45 am

Thanks for the insight, folks!

Pardon my ignorance - I thought 120s present innumerable opportunities for passenger shuffling, removal, and the like - but, I guess Skywest knows what they're doing :D.

It seems my greatest chance is to keep that glimmer of hope alive for an oversell on the LAX - CLD route (only a few seats left - but, my seatmap of relentless optimism is wide open ;)).

AAir_head Dec 1, 2009 11:06 am

Originally Posted by exerda (Post 12905954)
As much as I like the EMB120 (when flying in 9CD), it is indeed pretty noisy. I hear people berating the Messy DH8s, but they're much quieter IME than the EMB120 (no 9CD, though!)...

According to seatguru.com and seatexpert.com, only one version (#2) of the EM2 has the desireable configuration of 9CD, though it is non-specific as to the seat pitch. The DH2, on the other hand, has 33" seat pitch throughout versus 31-32" for the EM2...

Until last weekend, DEN-COS, I hadn't been on a DH2 in a loooong time (in fact, I actively avoided them). I was pleasantly surprised. I think for short hops (i.e., under 60 minutes total on the aircraft; so probably no more than 30 minutes flight time) the DH2 is preferable to the EM2. My 2 cents ...

cheers!

MaximusDamon Dec 1, 2009 11:15 am

EMB-120 Weight Restrictions

I live in Carmel and fly these regularly in/out of MRY (to/from SFO and LAX). I see weight restrictions a lot where they have stand-by pax and will only board 27 or 28 pax instead of 30. They cite weight restrictions. Several times I've been standing-by for an earlier flight and have been denied boarding due to this. It seems to be pilot's discretion to some extent, because once they said they would have to ask the pilot if I could board.

That said, I've never seen them remove anyone from a flight due to weight restrictions. I have often seen them shuffle people around on the plane, but only when it's not full (for weight/balance).

I've often seen these flights oversold and denied boarding offered. I've also seen them send pax to SFO in taxis instead...I've seen a lot of crazy stuff out of MRY, tho seems to happen less lately (thankfully). They burned a lot of local flyers out with their cancellations, irrops, denied boarding, weight restrictions, delays, etc. in MRY and many people I know regularly pay car svcs to drive them to SFO instead of taking the risk of Skywest out of MRY. Like I said, hopefully this is improving now, but hard to win back pax that have been screwed too many times in the past. But I digress...

I like the EMB-120 and especially seat 9C. Unless the flight is sold to a full 30 or oversold, you're unlikely to get denied boarding, though it does happen occasionally. Now that I think about it, not long ago I had an agent go ahead and give me flight credits on the LAX-MRY flight and book me the next day (I didn't really want to fly that day anyway) citing weight restrictions just because I asked. :) Mind you, the flight was almost full...

ACVBear Dec 1, 2009 11:29 am

Hello -

most people have already stated but given the areas you are going, I would doubt weight restrictions.

Whenever the emb 120s aren't full you'll get shuffled around, so try to grab that exit row. (this is often the case even in perfect flying conditions).

Be prepared to have your luggage not come with you so trying to carry on is always a best bet...

due to bad weather I've actually seen a plane weight restricted down to 24 passengers. They will often talk about compensation here but be careful taking the VDB because it often becomes hard fitting into a stand by position later on. Otherwise enjoy! And if you need ear plugs probably want to bring those (though I've seen skywest employees be kind enough to offer as well).

as for crazy oversell, I often haven't seen more than 3, but again there are usually only a few flights and all are packed so if you are flexible you can probably get good vdb compensation otherwise it is always risky.

CP@YOW Dec 1, 2009 11:43 am

My favourite thing about my LAX-OXR E-120 experience this summer was that on arrival, the pilot got out and actually helped expedite the unloading of the bags. I don't think that's normal, but it was great service!

abmj-jr Dec 1, 2009 11:47 am

Originally Posted by AAir_head (Post 12906191)
According to seatguru.com and seatexpert.com, only one version (#2) of the EM2 has the desireable configuration of 9CD, though it is non-specific as to the seat pitch. The DH2, on the other hand, has 33" seat pitch throughout versus 31-32" for the EM2...

No, both configurations have the "infinite legroom" in 9 B/C (no D on that plane.) For UA 1P and above, those 2 seats offer far more legroom than any domestic first class seat, something like 50".

I have seen a few "overweight/oversell" situations out of SFO but they never bother me or any other "status" passenger. Skywest nearly always announces bump opportunities at the gate.

To the OP - the one real disadvantage to the EMB is the noise. Skywest always has complimentary earplugs but they will rarely offer them. Just remember to ask the FA for them as you bourd or when she comes around for the mandatory exit row check.

Luvs2snowbordbut1kSEA Dec 1, 2009 12:06 pm

Weight restriction is often related to temperature and weather... also, both configs. have the excellent leg room.

prestonh Dec 1, 2009 12:07 pm

In/out of FAT they are weight restricted about 25% of the time. Based on GA conversations with the ramp it either is due to checked luggage load (say a group hopping a TPAC with plenty of bags) or when it's foggy, carrying extra fuel for a longer-distance alternate. There's a lot of NRSA's commuting in/out of FAT so those always seem to be the ones that do not get on the plane. I've seen several IDB's but that's because they don't get the VDB's. Check the loads for the flights...if its full and there's fog, there's a good chance for a VDB.

iapetus Dec 1, 2009 12:49 pm

This reminds me that I need to purchase my LAX-CIC tix for 12/24 today. @:-)

FWIW, I've never seen weight restrictions on the EMB120 from SFO to CIC, but I have seen pax shuffled.

zoegksf Dec 1, 2009 2:02 pm

The SFO-ACV flights are often weight restricted. They need enough fuel to return to SFO if ACV is fogged in.