Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Embraer 120 Weight Restrictions? Experienced 120 Flyers - I Need Your Insight!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Embraer 120 Weight Restrictions? Experienced 120 Flyers - I Need Your Insight!

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2009, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks a lot, folks - it's all great stuff. Really appreciate the insight and experiences!
Old Dec 1, 2009, 4:09 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
I've had and/or seen VDBs for weight restrictions when these former EMB120 routes were flown: LAX->SNA; SAN->LAX; ONT->LAX. These have most often been in the summer and they reduced the acceptance capacity to 27-28.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 3:25 pm

Programs: HH Gold, Alaska MVP Gold
Hey you're posting some segments I'm intimately familiar with! I love the little EMB-120 and 9C is a superb seat. Be prepared for lots of noise, a great view of the ramp as you go on and off the plans, CLD's TINY terminal (you'll see!), the free wi-fi at the SAN commuter terminal, more loud buzzing, great views of the coast, slow speed, fun approaches, and more!
Old Dec 2, 2009, 3:47 pm

Programs: UA MP Premier Silver (sigh!), Virgin Elevate, HHonors, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Gold, Does AAA count?
+1 on the noise issue (use your noise cancelling headphones or bring your own earplugs of choice) and, IME, some potential for bags to not be loaded so that passengers can. I have had 2 recent instances where golf clubs/carrier did not arrive from SFO-MRY with me, only to come 1 or 2 flights later. Not likely to affect you if you're only carry-on but remember the carryon capacity (size and availability) are limited.

Have a nice flight, hope weather is clear for your run!

Bart in Northern OC
Old Dec 2, 2009, 3:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EXP, AA-0.41MM, UA-Gold, Ex UA-1K (2006 thru 2015), PMUA-0.95MM, COUA-1.5MM-lite, AF-Silver
As a 1K, the odds of you being removed for weight restrictions approach zero.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 4:35 pm

Programs: AS MVP 100K, UA PremEx-MM
I recall a SFO-SBA flight a couple of years ago that was weight restricted. I was standing by for an earlier flight and I got the last seat, which was number 27 as I recall. But this was at Christmas time, so maybe there were extra bags.

There is a soft spot in me for the EMB-120 (9 B/C), except when the weather is bad. They get tossed around pretty good.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 4:37 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by MaximusDamon
It seems to be pilot's discretion to some extent, because once they said they would have to ask the pilot if I could board.
Just to clarify, they don't ask the pilot because it's at his discretion; they ask because the pilots are the ones who do the weight calculations to determine whether or not there is room for one more. There are set weight limits, and all the pilot does is let the agent know whether the limits would be exceeded if another passenger/bag is added.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 4:37 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP 100K
Originally Posted by iapetus
This reminds me that I need to purchase my LAX-CIC tix for 12/24 today. @:-)

FWIW, I've never seen weight restrictions on the EMB120 from SFO to CIC, but I have seen pax shuffled.
I've been bumped twice on this route due to weight restrictions. Granted I've flown it a fair number of times. Summer is the likeliest time for weight-restricted bumps.
Old Dec 2, 2009, 8:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, LH Oil & Energy Club
I've flown the 120 a lot before but with Great Lakes (ISN-DEN), I was IDB'd on DEN-ISN due to weight a year or two ago, this was in the summer time, more than a few times on other flights they were asking for volunteers...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.