Award Ticket Flight, Upgrades Comped

Old Nov 30, 09, 3:44 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United GS, Marriott Ambassador Elite
Thumbs up Award Ticket Flight, Upgrades Comped

Newly minted 1K here, I took a standard domestic award flight this past weekend and was ticketed Y-class. On the first leg, I asked the GA if I could upgrade, and he punched away at the computer then asked how I wanted to pay for the upgrade. Before I could answer, he told me that I did not need to use any instruments as my upgrade was comped. Seemed cool enough, the flight was not full and there was nobody on the waitlist for first, so I assumed that I had been op-uped.

On the flight back, I went up to the GA and asked if I could upgrade my return flight, and she did some keyboarding, and told me that a message had popped up saying that I would receive a complementary upgrade due to my 'unique status', and mentioned United Global Services (although I don't have GS status). After she printed out my new boarding pass, a second GA told her that award tickets were not upgradeable, and they called over the supervisor, who proceeded to take a close look at the screen. He decided that the computer was always right, and I was upgraded to first. What was strange about the return upgrade was that there were tons of people on the upgrade list, so it couldn't have been an op-up.

Am I just extremely lucky, or has something strange happened here?
Old Nov 30, 09, 3:47 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA 1K MM, SPG Plat For Life, Marriott Plat, Nexus/GlobalEntry
When you book a standard award it does indeed book into Y class however it's supposed to be non-upgradeable since it's an award ticket. But an agent who does not look carefully at the fare could probably assume it's a paid Y ticket which is eligible for a free upgrade. You got lucky!
Old Nov 30, 09, 3:58 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AC *S, Marriott Plat....
Very cool, consider yourself lucky. Makes paying 2x for the award worth it!
Old Nov 30, 09, 4:31 pm

Wish I had that kind of luck
Old Nov 30, 09, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, 1 MM
Originally Posted by d3van View Post
Very cool, consider yourself lucky. Makes paying 2x for the award worth it!
I would say so, since the saver domestic first (2 cabin) and standard domestic saver are both 50K miles
Old Nov 30, 09, 4:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K; AA Platinum; SPGold; GoldPoints Gold; most other FF programs...
I believe GS do have the ability to upgrade award tix, but usually needs to be supported by some instrument. Kudos for the comp upgrade!
Old Nov 30, 09, 5:03 pm

Programs: UA 1K, HH Gold, Mariott Gold
Originally Posted by supergabe View Post
(although I don't have GS status).
Are you sure? Any chance you recently got it? What are your rough stats/spend?
Old Nov 30, 09, 5:17 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jhayes_1780 View Post
Are you sure? Any chance you recently got it? What are your rough stats/spend?
I have ~135k EQM's for this year, but year to date spending is south of $10,000, mostly restricted fare, and always economy.
Old Nov 30, 09, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
I have only flown using miles twice this year, both times "purchasing" the standard award ticket... At the RCC, they have always told me that I have a full-fare ticket, so they are able to upgrade the ticket to F or C... However, gate agents usually tell you that you are ineligible for the upgrade as it is an award ticket...
Old Nov 30, 09, 8:55 pm

Programs: MMH MVP Charter Member, UA 1K MM
I think it would be a great policy for standard awards to be eligible for Y/B auto-upgrades just like full fare (at the clearance windows). It makes sense as they are the same mile amount as domestic XF/XC, just not confirmed seats in advance.

I would be much more likely to burn miles on standard awards knowing I could possibly get an upgrade. I think it is a win-win for UA and elites.
Old Nov 30, 09, 8:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Plat., NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by sammybk View Post
I think it would be a great policy for standard awards to be eligible for Y/B auto-upgrades just like full fare (at the clearance windows). It makes sense as they are the same mile amount as domestic XF/XC, just not confirmed seats in advance.

I would be much more likely to burn miles on standard awards knowing I could possibly get an upgrade. I think it is a win-win for UA and elites.
This would be a great policy!

^^^
Old Dec 1, 09, 3:46 am

Programs: UA-1k, 1mm, Marriott-LT Platinum, Hertz-Presidents Circle
What does AA do? They have UDU in place to a point now and would think UA would copy them in this policy.
Old Dec 1, 09, 7:17 am

Upgradable standard coach awards, at least domestically, would certainly encourage MP members to burn miles faster.
Old Dec 1, 09, 8:56 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JetAway View Post
Upgradable standard coach awards, at least domestically, would certainly encourage MP members to burn miles faster.
I would have been glad to spend my e500's on the upgrades, but free is always best ^

Search this Thread
Search Engine: