Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

11/26 UAL975 IAD-SFO Co-Pilot Medical Emergency

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

11/26 UAL975 IAD-SFO Co-Pilot Medical Emergency

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2009, 4:31 am

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
.... I have flown quite a bit this year, and it has been rare that my flight is delayed. In 2009, it was rare that my flight was on time. ^
Umm, this year is 2009 isn't it?
Old Nov 28, 2009, 7:47 am

Programs: UA 1K MM
I was on the flight as well - United handled things extremely well, enough information that people did not panic during the diversion and then good customer service once on the ground in Denver. Lots of personnel and updates ... the sandwiches were a nice touch.

I was quite surprised United was able to find a replacement co-pilot at 7-8 PM on Thanksgiving night.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 7:53 am

Programs: M&M SEN
Thanks for sharing and Welcome to FlyerTalk
Old Nov 28, 2009, 8:07 am

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by hazel2009
We were given an option to stay on or deboard. There were sandwiches, cookies and soda waiting for us outside Apparently the flight attendants had organized some thanksgiving meal and shared it with us (they said they shared the extras but who knows. hopefully they did not give up their meal!). There were gate agents waiting to re-route passengers. Many untied employees were there to help the passengers, including take them to their new gates, if that were the case. We were also offered compensation (choice being $250 voucher, 20% off economy or 10,000 miles; $300, 20% or 12,500 for premier). we also received great service (smiles..) on board, before and after the diversion.
Hi there! Thanks for the informative post.

My two cents... If everything you say above was really what was done, your flight staff did an AMAZING job! I can't believe they had food waiting for you at the gate and managed to find a spare crew that quickly. Luckily DEN is a good airport to get stuck at in terms of United (lots of flights) but even so...

I've been delayed tons in my travels, and never received service like you state above. Once JetBlue came close (they brought us snacks on a 6 hour delay), but your account sounded more organized.

Kudos to United

Thanks for sharing.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 8:14 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UALifetimePremierGold, Marriott LifetimeTitanium
Welcome to FT and thanks for sharing. And kudos to UA for handling this well.

Cheers.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 8:31 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
I think this flight is cursed. About 2 months back there was a medical emergancy on this exact flight. It was a passenger though and he was having heart trouble and we diverted to ORD. I wish I could say that United handled it as well as this one, but it was horribly FUBAR'd. Hope the FO is doing ok.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by nevansm
I think this flight is cursed. About 2 months back there was a medical emergancy on this exact flight. It was a passenger though and he was having heart trouble and we diverted to ORD. I wish I could say that United handled it as well as this one, but it was horribly FUBAR'd. Hope the FO is doing ok.
I have to ask, how was it FUBAR'd? Did the passenger not survive?

AD
Old Nov 28, 2009, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, MM, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
Sounds like a first-rate performance by United, under the circumstances. Glad to hear that DEN treated you well, also. Crummy Thanksgiving for the co-pilot, though.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 11:05 am
In memoriam

Programs: AA EXP - UA *G MM - HH Diamond - Hertz PC
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver

AD
AD, more importantly in this instance is the FO in recovery mode?
Old Nov 28, 2009, 12:14 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM
I will add that I was offered a choice of the following:

$350 E-Certificate: For travel within the 50 United States, Puerto Rico, or U.S. Virgin Islands during the travel period specified. Save off published United fares on a qualifying flight purchased at united.com. Ticketing and travel by November 27, 2010.

20% Economy E-Certificate: For travel to worldwide destinations from the 50 United States, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands, Australia, Canada, China, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Japan, Mexico, Netherlands, Singapore or United Kingdom during the travel period specified. Save off published United Economy fares on a qualifying flight purchased at united.com. Ticketing and travel by November 27, 2010.

15000 bonus Mileage Plus miles: Members can redeem miles toward award travel. Mileage Plus offers our members the most extensive selection of award travel destinations including over 800 cities in more than 139 countries.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by danville 1K
AD, more importantly in this instance is the FO in recovery mode?
I don't know, the Company hasn't commented on the incident.

AD
Old Nov 28, 2009, 12:26 pm

Programs: Choice Hotels/FFOCUS
Hazel:
Welcome to Flyertalk. A BIG^ to UA on this one. I'm glad the f/o will be ok. He's in my thoughts & prayers.

Some one correct me if I'm wrong but I think Den is a UA crew base, so I would guess that's how they got the new f/o.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 12:56 pm

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Gold
Originally Posted by vandalby
"The life of everyone on board depends upon just one thing: finding someone back there who can not only fly this plane, but who didn't have fish for dinner."
haha best quote I've seen posted on here in a while :-) So perfect.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 2:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by restlessinRNO
hazel2009 - Thank you for your informative post. Welcome to FlyerTalk.
+!!
Glad all worked out fine. Hope the co-pilot is getting well soon.
Old Nov 28, 2009, 6:47 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: 1K 1MM; Bonvoy Ambassador; Nat'l EE; Hertz PC; Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by aluminumdriver

AD
The passenger was fine. It was the service and time on the ground that sucked. See my post about it here... http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/unite...l#post12765265

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.