Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > United Mileage Plus (Pre-Merger)
Reload this Page >

Standby possible for indirect->direct including codeshare?

Old Nov 27, 09, 9:49 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, UA Silver, Marriott Plat

So I'm flying

UA7538 ORD->LGA F3 Y5 B5 M5 E5 U0 H0 Q0 V0 W0 S0 T0 L0 K0 G0 A3
UA2174(actually US 2126) LGA->BOS F9 Y9 B9 M8 E8 U6 H5 Q3 V1 W1 S1 T1 L0 K1 G5 A9

Would it be possible for me to standby for, say for example,
UA528 ORD->BOS F9 Y9 B9 M9 E9 U9 H9 Q9 V9 W9 S9 T9 L0 K9 G0 A9
??
Old Nov 27, 09, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Yes, assuming 528 leaves first or you do same-day confirmed change.
Old Nov 27, 09, 1:02 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
... you do same-day confirmed change.
Same day change requires
Available only for identical routing: same destination and same connection city.
Althought I did once get around that
Old Nov 27, 09, 1:37 pm
Original Poster

I'm not looking for same day confirm since that costs money. I'm looking into standby. And I can read the rules on UA's website.

http://www.united.com/page/article/0,6867,51149,00.html
United will continue to allow customers on domestic nonrefundable tickets to standby for flights on their ticketed day of departure without a standby fee.

The information on the website just doesn't have the details on special cases like changing from an indirect to direct (same origin and destination) or itin that involves a codeshare. I'm asking people who have actual experience with this.
Old Nov 27, 09, 1:50 pm
Moderator: United Airlines; FlyerTalk Evangelist
2020 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA Plat 1.85MM, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Plat/LT Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Gold
Originally Posted by hw711 View Post
The information on the website just doesn't have the details on special cases like changing from an indirect to direct (same origin and destination) or itin that involves a codeshare. I'm asking people who have actual experience with this.
The changing from 1-stop to non-stop is not usually an issue (been done by many including myself -- although many FTers try the other way to increase mileage - that's a little more iffy).
The second segment codeshare non-UA metal is a case I have not done but think you should likely be able to do.
Old Nov 27, 09, 2:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Gold, Marriott Gold
I've had no problem doing it even when codeshares are involved.
I often book SBA-(mainline)-LAX/SFO/SJC-(express codeshare)-DEN and fly SBA-(express codeshare)-DEN. Never had an issue (aside from available seats) when departing from SBA or DEN.
Old Nov 27, 09, 4:07 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Shouldn't be a problem at all. The UA agent would just lift both flight coupons and combine them for the more direct routing.
Old Nov 27, 09, 9:30 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sinoflyer View Post
Shouldn't be a problem at all. The UA agent would just lift both flight coupons and combine them for the more direct routing.
Thanks. And this should be done at the airport check in or at the gate?
Old Nov 27, 09, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA, Starwood, Priority Club, Hertz, Starbucks Gold Card
Thanks. And this should be done at the airport check in or at the gate?
Either one. Technically you can switch at the gate if you decided all of a sudden that you no longer wanted to go on the original routing (after having checked in) and wanted to standby for the more direct route instead.

But if it is your intention to standby for the ORDBOS flight, just show up at the check-in counter without first checking-in for your scheduled flight. That'll make the job a little easier for the agent. I made the mistake once by using the chicken to check-in for my schedule trip, for something like LAX-DFW-IAD, and then asking the agent to put me on standby on the nonstop LAXIAD. When the agent found out that I had just checked myself in to the flight that I wanted to change out of, he asked, "why did you do that for?"
Old Nov 27, 09, 11:20 pm

Huh -- last week, I was on US 1779 PHL-LAS >> US 115 LAS-LAX. I checked in and asked the GA about the possibility of standing by for US 39 PHL-LAX, which departed at the same time as US 1779, but she explained that I would have to pay even for the chance to stand by, since the ticket would have cost more had I bought it originally.

Now, it looks like I probably should have just talked to the ticket agent before checking in -- and this was on US, not UA, which might have different policies. But should I have been allowed to stand by for the direct flight for free? Or am I mistaken?
Old Nov 27, 09, 11:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Fifster View Post
.........and this was on US, not UA, which might have different policies. But should I have been allowed to stand by for the direct flight for free? Or am I mistaken?
You answered your own question. US and UA have different standby policies. @:-)
Old Nov 27, 09, 11:36 pm

Location: What I write is my opinion alone..don't read into it anything not written.
Originally Posted by mduell View Post
I've had no problem doing it even when codeshares are involved.
I often book SBA-(mainline)-LAX/SFO/SJC-(express codeshare)-DEN and fly SBA-(express codeshare)-DEN. Never had an issue (aside from available seats) when departing from SBA or DEN.
Express is not codeshare. Express is a contract provider of UA. A codeshare is a marketing partner. Huge difference. Also there is no such thing as "standby across carriers". That isn't to say that in some situations, carrier A may have the technical ability to utilize both different carriers segments, and combine them for their own revenue gain on 1 leg, the policy still does not exist. For good reason. US (and others) charges as just one reason.
Old Nov 28, 09, 6:57 am
Original Poster

Negative. I was told no by both the customer service agent and the gate agent that I can't. Even though the ORD->LGA flight is almost full(3 open in Y) and ORD->BOS flight is wide open.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: